The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Marc Crawford a Candidate for Canucks Head Coach

Canucks

Would have been a lot more interesting if we had the WCE line with Luongo in goal.....AV had the luxury of well rounded team with deadly special teams....Probably the strongest team this franchise has ever had....BTW..Offense wins cups too....!

Offense only wins cups if you have the defense to back it up. I have never seen a bad defensive team win a cup but I've seen bad offensive teams win cups. Again, Boston and even LA didn't have great offense during the regular season when they won the cup. The sharks are a great offensive team, probably one of the best in the league when it comes to offense and they haven't even gone further than the conference final round and they lost in the 1st round this year.

He had a stacked line in Vancouver, not a stacked team... After the WCE there wasn't much else helping them win games.

I don't really know how people expected Crow to coach a one-line team through the playoffs against DYNASTIES like Colorado and Detroit. Especially with all of Cloutiers meltdowns in the playoffs.

I disagree with that. We had the best 1st line followed by a good second line which consisted of the Sedin twins (our current 1st line). We also had Ed Jovanovski, Ohlund, Salo, Allen, Malik and Sopel. Obviously the defense wasn't great at the defensive game but the transition and offense generated by our defense was great. Our team was capable of winning but the goaltending was a bit of a letdown. Although Crawford failed to go passed the 2nd round multiple times. You can't say he is a good coach then come up with excuses as to why he didn't go deeper into the playoffs like not having a stacked team. Obviously any coach can go deep into the playoffs with great goaltending, 4 lines of offense and a great defense.

To J529 - Mike Keenan and Crawford are COMPLETE OPPOSITES.

Having said that, I want someone new and different. The only thing that I didn't like about Crow was that he tends to burn out goalies and rarely if ever lets a backup play. However, had Lu been here the year that Cloutier couldn't stop a beach ball well lets just say Canucks would probably have had a Cup. Once Cloutier let that goal in against Detroit from center ice, he couldn't stop anything and no matter how many goals we scored (and we scored lots with the West Coast Express line) it was never enough. Maybe Nazzy and company could lace them up again. (Just joking, but a line like that could really help this goal less team).

Always one thing or another that is wrong with this team. I am just praying that Benning will make it better because he's our only hope.

I disagree with that. We had the best 1st line followed by a good second line which consisted of the Sedin twins (our current 1st line). We also had Ed Jovanovski, Ohlund, Salo, Allen, Malik and Sopel. Obviously the defense wasn't great at the defensive game but the transition and offense generated by our defense was great. Our team was capable of winning but the goaltending was a bit of a letdown. Although Crawford failed to go passed the 2nd round multiple times. You can't say he is a good coach then come up with excuses as to why he didn't go deeper into the playoffs like not having a stacked team. Obviously any coach can go deep into the playoffs with great goaltending, 4 lines of offense and a great defense.

lmao really? you had to point out the Sedins are the Canucks current first line? I had no idea!

The rise of the Sedins coincided with the decline of the WCE. The only year the Sedins were impact players for Crawford was his last season as the Canucks coach. The same year the WCE started to decline. For the most part the Sedins were very streaky players under Crawford and not nearly as good of players as they are today.

If you think the Canucks under Crawford were even close to being as good as Colorado or Detroit then clearly you didn't watch much of them back then. They were a one line team every season under Crawford except for his last.

Let me guess... You also think that it's Crawfords fault that Cloutier let in Lidstroms shot from center?

Luongo wouldn't have fared much better than Cloutier I'm afraid to say since the WCE era had a pretty average defense so it's more likely Lu would've been lit up like a Christmas tree and blown more games than he has already.

Are you kidding me. I would take a Jovanovski and Ohlund over any of the guys here. Jovo was a game changer like no other. Ohlund was a rock. If he was not hit in the eye with a puck I am positive he would be mentioned as one of the best Swedish defense man to ever play the game.

I wouldn't mind him but have have a few others above him on my list.

If we do hire Crow we will have the beginnings of the "old boys club". Following Edmonton's footsteps.

They started that with Linden. They might as well follow through.

I actually think Willie Desjardins would be the best way to go, but Crawford is also a good choice from an offensive standpoint.

Crow is a great coach and would bring excitement back into this team.

Blysma just became available too.

Pretty good options should the Canucks make a quick move before they go

A coach with questionable morality is not something this team needs moving forward, and if you argue with that satement, then think about how the whole Moore scandal will make the headlines in town once McCaw takes the stand. Also, it's a been here done that factor. In addition, there appears to be an apetite for someone with less tabloid glitter. I'd say someone like Guy Carbonneau.

OMG and this would be a fresh start under Benning by having Crawford back? The entire League has him exiled in Switzerland last I checked since 2011, damn we had nothing but poor goaltending decisions over the last two/three seasons and you want Crow back?

Archived