The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do women tend to care less about the "six pack/eight pack" than men?

Dazzle

I work out because I enjoy staying fit/healthy, it is a good stress reliever and achieving gains/goals builds character.

Girls liking the muscles and abs is just an added bonus.

Anyway, I'm getting way sidetracked.

I do find exercise to be a 'stress reliever' but it's not a cure-all for underlying issues. I'm not quite sure if I'm build any more character than I already do have though.

are you talking about me

You have the dubious distinction of having shots fired by different people. Lol.

It was what came to mind since you're always in my head anyways bb

Now that's hot.

Be a bit of a jerk online and be in a girl's head. Notes taken ;)

I love working out, I don't do it for anybody else other than myself. Been super skinny my entire life, and this past 1.5 years of work has paid off, and I'll continue to put in hours on hours in the gym for myself. Not only is it fun and relaxing, among other things.

6 pack however? I've recently set my goal to get a 6 pack by the end of the summer, always has been slightly visible, but I've never put any effort into working my core, and now I feel "hey why not?" Not sure if I'll get there, because i'm not going to get strict on my diet, and heck I'm going over the amount of calories I need, as I'm trying to get bigger as well, doubt both are possible at the same time, but oh well. Maybe a quick cut at the end of summer to get them to show. Got super quick metabolism so I doubt I add much fat anyways.

Just another goal set and something to work hard for!

Women who are too low on BF, ironically, would have fertility problems (scientifically suggested). I find that interesting considering the same problem isn't found in guys, for obvious reasons, although I personally don't think that a professional bodybuilder (@3-5 percent BF) is attractive at all. It's my personal opinion that it is ugly. It looks just as bad on a woman (with very very low BF), if not worse.

Keep in mind, the pro bodybuilders that look that freakish are usually on steroids, on top of years of training, a perfect diet, and great genetics. On stage they use loads of spray tanner and oil. Most people would probably agree that it's unattractive, which is perfectly understandable due to the fact that it's unnatural. So there's definitely a point where it becomes too much. But it's very difficult if not impossible for a person to look freakish without steroid use, even with great genetics and years of training. It's either that or anorexia.

Keep in mind, the pro bodybuilders that look that freakish are usually on steroids, on top of years of training, a perfect diet, and great genetics. On stage they use loads of spray tanner and oil. Most people would probably agree that it's unattractive, which is perfectly understandable due to the fact that it's unnatural. So there's definitely a point where it becomes too much. But it's very difficult if not impossible for a person to look freakish without steroid use, even with great genetics and years of training. It's either that or anorexia.

Great input! I guess I never looked at it that way.

Good god not another one of these. I swear most of you are all teenage women or at least want to be.....

Get whatever haircut you feel like. If you want to work out, work out. If you don't, don't. (But don't be so lazy as to be unhealthy).

I just had some friend of a friend ask about what I like to do....

I went with....

"Have friends over to my house as I like to cook".

Figure out how many of the points above I hit in that one sentence.

Incidentally, in case you want to call me a douche for that, I do in fact have my friends over all the time and I do enjoy cooking.

Good god not another one of these. I swear most of you are all teenage women or at least want to be.....

Get whatever haircut you feel like. If you want to work out, work out. If you don't, don't. (But don't be so lazy as to be unhealthy).

I just had some friend of a friend ask about what I like to do....

I went with....

"Have friends over to my house as I like to cook".

Figure out how many of the points above I hit in that one sentence.

Incidentally, in case you want to call me a douche for that, I do in fact have my friends over all the time and I do enjoy cooking.

A party's not truly a party unless there's at least one douche. ;)

^Hmmm not so much parties at my place (though I do need to have a house warming one and then hopefully one day a victory barbeque) as get together with a couple friends. Basically I tell someone I am making a smoked roast or ribs or whatever and people randomly show up.

Douches are not allowed in my house!

Hipsters are ok but they have to be warned that I am the anti hipster and will make fun of them back if they want to criticize my uncoolness.......

I love working out, I don't do it for anybody else other than myself. Been super skinny my entire life, and this past 1.5 years of work has paid off, and I'll continue to put in hours on hours in the gym for myself. Not only is it fun and relaxing, among other things.

6 pack however? I've recently set my goal to get a 6 pack by the end of the summer, always has been slightly visible, but I've never put any effort into working my core, and now I feel "hey why not?" Not sure if I'll get there, because i'm not going to get strict on my diet, and heck I'm going over the amount of calories I need, as I'm trying to get bigger as well, doubt both are possible at the same time, but oh well. Maybe a quick cut at the end of summer to get them to show. Got super quick metabolism so I doubt I add much fat anyways.

Just another goal set and something to work hard for!

Son, the 6 pack is overrated. And you have goals that are not concurrent. Pick one and go for it otherwise you'll be wandering training no-mans land going nowhere fast.

If you want to get leaner and build a little muscle, eat at maintence, train hard, do conditioning 2x per week, and have enough patience to stick with this plan for 6 months and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm actually gunning for a 6 pack this summer, bulked up a decent amount now and none of my girlfriends even noticed that iv'e packed on 20 more pounds than last year, only my guy friends have noticed.

As for picking up more chicks with the six pack, those are the ones you usually want to dispose of quickly. I've never had an issue with meeting women, especially during my 4 year tenure out in Vancouver. I've rocked the beer belly and been fit, the only difference is I look much younger when im in shape.

I'm actually gunning for a 6 pack this summer, bulked up a decent amount now and none of my girlfriends even noticed that iv'e packed on 20 more pounds than last year, only my guy friends have noticed.

As for picking up more chicks with the six pack, those are the ones you usually want to dispose of quickly. I've never had an issue with meeting women, especially during my 4 year tenure out in Vancouver. I've rocked the beer belly and been fit, the only difference is I look much younger when im in shape.

"I would never want to belong to a club that would have someone like me for a member"

exactly

Younger women may care about that.

As you mature and have a few shallow men as part of your life who focus too much on that sort of thing, it changes.

Now, #1 (well, beyond basic good hygiene): a sense of humour. Someone who doesn't take himself too seriously and isn't full of ego.

A great body shows a man cares about himself...if it's an obsession, it's a bad thing more than a good thing.

Did the title change? I think it did.

Anyhow my comment ^ missed the mark.

Women don't care as much because men don't set the standards as high in "selecting" a woman? Feed 'em a couple of drinks and they'll take the barstool home. That's my guess.

Did the title change? I think it did.

Anyhow my comment ^ missed the mark.

Women don't care as much because men don't set the standards as high in "selecting" a woman? Feed 'em a couple of drinks and they'll take the barstool home. That's my guess.

Geez .. THAT"S where all these stools came from!

Some even prefer a "beer belly", like my best friend (who is a girl).

Yeah...I'm not sure I buy that. That's kind of like me suggesting that I prefer girls with flat bums over the Kim Kardashian-esque ones. I'm guessing she just values other features over a healthy looking midsection.

Yeah...I'm not sure I buy that. That's kind of like me suggesting that I prefer girls with flat bums over the Kim Kardashian-esque ones. I'm guessing she just values other features over a healthy looking midsection.

you don't buy that a person can be attracted to something that you don't find attractive?

Most women aren't too caught up about whether or not you have a six pack, more than you might think don't even care about weight. What they do care about is avoiding the ones who look like they could be in shape but have chosen not to be, this is seen as a sign of laziness.

It comes to the basic differences between men and women. Men generally have a list of things they would prefer in a woman, and seek out those who have those qualities. Women generally have a list of things they want to avoid in a man, and seek out those who do not have those qualities.

This is why negative attributes like being jobless or living with parents will have a much greater impact on dating than positive attributes such as having a fancy car. There are far less tire biters out there than there are women who refuse to date a man with no car. Similarly, there are far more women who will never be attracted to a man who looks like he doesn't exercise and eats poorly than there are women who only want to date roided out muscle freaks.

Men focus on the positive, they want the six pack, they think women are looking for the six pack (in truth, a few are, but not many). Women focus on the negative, they want to avoid the abnormally large belly, this is interpreted by men as a desire for six packs, but in reality most will like a guy with a flat, soft stomach just as much as a guy with a chiseled one, they key is that neither is an indicator of a sedentary lifestyle.

You want to meet more women. Quit smoking, buy a reliable vehicle, move out of the parent's basement, get a non-labour/non-fast food job, wash your clothes, avoid poor grooming. In short, get rid of anything a woman can complain about. Don't waste time with trying to be the ideal man, there is no such thing, the ideal man is simply the man who isn't a loser, and who doesn't have any obvious detractors.

Women, on the other hand, can have many negative qualities that can mean little or nothing to most men if they happen to have a few positive things going for them. Any woman with a great body can live with her parents all she likes, can be a smoker, can work a low paying job and still get all the attention she wants.

Archived