The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Willie Desjardins looks like a strong fit to coach the Vancouver Canucks

poetica

I am all for the hire of WD for HC but something that I noticed is he trys to sit back on leads and force other teams to go threw all 5 players if they want to score. It reminds me alot of the way AV and Torts coached while here by trying to hold on for dear life while holding a 1 goal lead instead of going for another goal.

Last night for example Texas were up 1-0 going into the 3rd and they stoped being aggressive on offence and just sat back and in the process they were out shot 17-6 in the 3rd and gave up the game tieing goal late in the period. This is a coaching tactic that has been greatly critizied from the last 2 HC here and it gave me some concern about if WD is hired here.

I am all for the hire of WD for HC but something that I noticed is he trys to sit back on leads and force other teams to go threw all 5 players if they want to score. It reminds me alot of the way AV and Torts coached while here by trying to hold on for dear life while holding a 1 goal lead instead of going for another goal.

Last night for example Texas were up 1-0 going into the 3rd and they stoped being aggressive on offence and just sat back and in the process they were out shot 17-6 in the 3rd and gave up the game tieing goal late in the period. This is a coaching tactic that has been greatly critizied from the last 2 HC here and it gave me some concern about if WD is hired here.

Texas won 2-1

Fair enough, I don't look at every single thread, far from it, so I guess I just catch at the wrong time, more often than not. No big deal.

I'd be happy with both, too. If Sutter really does retire this year that will make things interesting cause there are still a few teams who need coaches.

Yup, and if people didn't create so many threads, it'd be easy for you and others to find a thread on the topic you want to discuss rather than have to make a new one. I see the argument that people don't want to read through a bunch of existing pages necessarily, but the board rules are what they are. Actual different topics are an obvious exception though.

I'd like to see a source on this Sutter rumour...

Texas won 2-1

LOL if u had watched the game STJ scored in OT but it was waved off which was the wrong call but that is AHL reffing for ya. Ethier way I dont think WD style of sitting back on 1 goal leads will cut it at the NHL level just look how well it worked out here for the last 2 HC here. Maybe WD will change that sit back tactic at the NHL level because if he doesnt i dont see it working out to well for him here unless Lack or Markstrom become top NHL goaltenders like a Quick/Lunqvist.

LOL if u had watched the game STJ scored in OT but it was waved off which was the wrong call but that is AHL reffing for ya. Ethier way I dont think WD style of sitting back on 1 goal leads will cut it at the NHL level just look how well it worked out here for the last 2 HC here. Maybe WD will change that sit back tactic at the NHL level because if he doesnt i dont see it working out to well for him here unless Lack or Markstrom become top NHL goaltenders like a Quick/Lunqvist.

Or maybe you wont judge him on one game in a 22 year career.

I know absolutely insane throw me in the loonie bin.

Or maybe you wont judge him on one game in a 22 year career.

I know absolutely insane throw me in the loonie bin.

I have been following WD and Texas just about all playoffs I used last nights game as a example of how his style of sitting back on 1 goal 3rd period leads might not work at the NHL level unless you have a elite goaltender which Texas does have for a AHL goalie but the canucks dont have the elite goalie anymore so WD style of sitting back on leads worries me he if hired here. Look how well it worked out last year here while the HC used the same tactic.

Maybe WD can adapt his style to the NHL as he is a good HC but as the saying goes you cant teach old dogs new tricks hopefully that wont have to apply to WD if hired here cause that sitting back style just hasnt worked out well here as of recently.

Yup, and if people didn't create so many threads, it'd be easy for you and others to find a thread on the topic you want to discuss rather than have to make a new one. I see the argument that people don't want to read through a bunch of existing pages necessarily, but the board rules are what they are. Actual different topics are an obvious exception though.

I'd like to see a source on this Sutter rumour...

I completely agree with you. But I just don't think mini mods help the situation at all. If anything it makes it worse. The best thing for everyone to do, in my opinion, would be to just not comment on any thread that already has a thread.

Do you have some weird OCD where all you can worry about is telling people where and what to post? The fact that you have been waiting for someone to post this article in a separate thread just to tell them that it has already been posted says enough about you. Just take a step back dude, you'll be a lot happier in life.

HAHAHA My thoughts EXACTLY. #freak

You still want Stevens or is it 50/50

Depends which route we go.

If Benning thinks that this team only needs a few tweaks and can be a playoff team next season, I want the veteran in Stevens.

If there's going to be an overhaul in our roster where we see a bunch of 25 and under players take big roles, then I want Desjardins.

With all the young talent coming in, a coach that can spend that much one on one time will be very beneficial to the development of each player.

Willie is definitely at the top of my list.

As Edler was the victim of the Tortorella regime, as he may be a benefactor of one on ones with Desjardins?

Archived