The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Willie Desjardins looks like a strong fit to coach the Vancouver Canucks

poetica

Yes to either Stevens or Desjardins....I just don't want a coach that's just been fired...I don't think that's what this team needs right now.

That makes no sense. At all. You do understand how stupid this statement sounds right?

Desjardins reeks of being a legendary coach.

He has just taken the time to fundamentally understand the game at every level of play, slowly but surely and knows how to motivate young minds that are eager to learn with a respectable dad like figure.

Horvat

Kassian

Ritchie

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

Etem or Virtanen or Tuch or Couturier or Mantha (Kesler deal)

All these young guys would be an epic core to build around for this guy with Henrik, Bieksa, and Burrows being the veteran anchor.

Stevens is a great interview to have but Willie Desjardins is Jesus incarnate for us, how about he gets Booth going and we can somehow ice a decent team.

We need a 2C but I think we should get that in a prospect like Couturier.

I really hope we don't sign the loser of the Calder Cup. Desjardins looks like he's doing an amazing job. You can pin a 3-0 comeback and win in overtime on his coaching (Morin has played very well too). Originally I was hoping for Trotz or Bylsma, but this guy looks like he's the real deal. Desjardins first preference, Stevens does have 2 cups and has plenty of experience under one of the league's greats in Sutter but I feel he's too defensive for what Linden and Benning want (would be great for developing Horvat, Corrado and Gaunce's defensive games though)

Depends which route we go.

If Benning thinks that this team only needs a few tweaks and can be a playoff team next season, I want the veteran in Stevens.

If there's going to be an overhaul in our roster where we see a bunch of 25 and under players take big roles, then I want Desjardins.

Just curious what you base that logic on.

Linden/Benning describe their candidate as a career coach who is good at nuturing youg tslent and has won at multi levels. That is both of Stevens and WD.

I dont know why so many think Stevens failure in Philly to have tarnished his image. The guy has been a lifer in the minors since he retired. Even winning AHL chsmpionship.

He got Flyers to 3rd round, then bounced in 1st then canned not long into the next season.

Regrouped himself as assistant in LA, helped develop a turnkey LA squad and now has 2 rings with the wickedest pro scouting report on every team in our division.

How do you not put Stevens at the top of the list?

Kuzma wrote a great article yesterday on Mike Johnston snd suggesting bringing HIM in as an assistant again.

If thats the case then Im all for dumping many vets on this team for a complete re-build of youth. Not just from this draft class but players from 2010 draft and on that are just getting their feet wet in this league.

Guys like Ty Rattie

Tomas Tatar

Tomas Jurco

Emerson Etem

Just to name a few. Guys that are eventually be great but still the names that teams throw in gor Kesler or Edler, etc....

Kassian is still young, Jensen, Tanev, Corrado.....

Put these kids together and let them fail and bond and develop into a great team for years to come.

Slight preference for Desjardans at this stage, mainly because of his people skills and rep. as a teacher. Also sounds like he is flexible and creative about the system he plays, adjusting it to the strengths and weaknesses of players. If so, he could be AV with a higher commitment to developing youth which is right where we need to be.

Slight preference for Desjardans at this stage, mainly because of his people skills and rep. as a teacher. Also sounds like he is flexible and creative about the system he plays, adjusting it to the strengths and weaknesses of players. If so, he could be AV with a higher commitment to developing youth which is right where we need to be.

Wd, Stevens and Johnston ALL reek of those qualities. I just have a much more huge preference to Steven due to his more recent accomplishments.

And again if Johnston is willing to come on as an assistant...he has proven to be a great PP guy and develop the youngsters

Dream scenario would to have all 3 WD, Stevens and Johnston

That makes no sense. At all. You do understand how stupid this statement sounds right?

I think you misunderstand his point. He's saying that he'd prefer to hire a coach (or assistant coach as the case may be) from another team fresh off of proven success (as Stevens is and Desjardins is on the brink of), rather than a freshly canned NHL coach who has only become suddenly available due to lack of desirable results.

Not to say that a fired coach such as Bylsma can't be a good option, but it's not an unreasonable wish to prefer what I described above.

For those intrested I ran into WD this morning while I was on my way to tims I seen WD come in a few people behind me here in St.Johns and got around to asking him a few questions while waiting in line. I started off asking him about how hes enjoying the town here during his stay just to warm him up before I got into the big questions us canuck fans want to know.

I will start off by saying I was wearing my Canucks hat so I think WD knew what was going to be coming so I asked him if he is planning on getting a HC gig in the NHL somewhere next season and he said back right now he is only focused on coaching the Texas stars and winning the Calder but it would be a honor to get any HC job on any NHL team

So I then asked him about being HC for the canucks and he said with a smile that I will just have to wait and see. I then thanked him for taking time to answering a few of my questions and I offered to pay for his coffee but he turnt down my offer. When I got to the counter to place my order the server said the man who was infront of me had paid for a large coffee for me and the server asked if I knew who he was and I told her the next HC of the vancouver canucks and she just looked at me like I had 10 heads.

Also the TV announcers said earlier during the broadcast they were chatting with WD and he said to them he he will be coaching the Canucks next season but they didnt have a live 1 on 1 interview with him so I dont think anyone should put to much stock into it.

Waiting list for Desjardins but nobody is hiring Torts; just sayin', the "Keep Torts" crowd is pretty quiet these days.

With all due respect, there was a huge 'fire AV' crowd here as well but as far as I was concerned, the problem doesn't lie with the coach....it is the players. Torts said that this group was stale and needed change...with what Vancouver is going through right now, he was right. That is not to say that Torts did everything right but hey, when your best player wants out (Kesler), you would have a pretty hard time justifying just blaming the coach. Torts is gone, Kesler still wants out, Lou couldn't wait to get traded.

Linden and Benning recognise the need for a new approach...that's why they cleaned house. Torts will be back in the NHL....he just wasn't a fit for a western team.

Desjardins reeks of being a legendary coach.

He has just taken the time to fundamentally understand the game at every level of play, slowly but surely and knows how to motivate young minds that are eager to learn with a respectable dad like figure.

Horvat

Kassian

Ritchie

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

Etem or Virtanen or Tuch or Couturier or Mantha (Kesler deal)

All these young guys would be an epic core to build around for this guy with Henrik, Bieksa, and Burrows being the veteran anchor.

Stevens is a great interview to have but Willie Desjardins is Jesus incarnate for us, how about he gets Booth going and we can somehow ice a decent team.

We need a 2C but I think we should get that in a prospect like Couturier.

I agree that Desjardins looks good and should work well with young players (although his top player with Texas was a 30-year old veteran.)

But the Canucks will not be picking Ritchie at #6. Assuming the draft goes according to form the Canucks will take Nylander or Ehlers at #6 although it is possible that Dal Colle could drop down to #6 and the Canucks would take him.

If they do get the #10 pick from Anaheim in a trade for Kesler, Virtanen is possible. The other three guys are not. It would not be a big shock to see Ritchie still available at #10, and it would make sense to take him there.

Lots of other teams are vying for Crawford for some reason, and Stevens looks like he's getting a lot of calls - namely from Pittsburgh. I don't like our chances against the Penguins, and to be honest I doubt Stevens leaves what could be a dynasty in the making.

We have to go after Desjardins and go after him fast, with Bylsma as a good backup. Both are used to grooming young players, Willie probably more-so than Bylsma. Watching his team win 3 overtimes and multiple come-backs in their championship run was pretty impressive. I just hope we don't go after a St. Pete's coach who blew the finals.

With all due respect, there was a huge 'fire AV' crowd here as well but as far as I was concerned, the problem doesn't lie with the coach....it is the players. Torts said that this group was stale and needed change...with what Vancouver is going through right now, he was right. That is not to say that Torts did everything right but hey, when your best player wants out (Kesler), you would have a pretty hard time justifying just blaming the coach. Torts is gone, Kesler still wants out, Lou couldn't wait to get traded.

Linden and Benning recognise the need for a new approach...that's why they cleaned house. Torts will be back in the NHL....he just wasn't a fit for a western team.

Pretty sure Torts had no other offers last year. He is a dinosaur and I really doubt we'll see him behind the bench again in the NHL

Archived