Canucks Community

[proposal] VAN - PHI

I like Garrison as a person a lot, BC boy, etc. but here's an idea:

to PHI:

187322413_213143222.jpg?w=460

to VAN:

Matt+Read+Carolina+Hurricanes+v+Philadel

+ 2nd round or 3rd round pick

Rumour has it that PHI are targetting defensemen and IMO Garrison is a perfect fit for their system and power play. Read is a forward with lots of utility as he is a good 2 way forward and coming into his prime. Extra pick further helps develop prospect pool.

This proposal though relies heavily though on the assumption that Benning wants Corrado to step in the right side, Tanev play top 4 minutes with Edler (hopefully) and Bikesa/Hamhuis finish their contracts here or at the very least before they become UFA.

I would be pretty reluctant to trade Read. He is the Flyers 2nd best defensive forward and has fantastic chemistry with Couturier on the shutdown line. He plays the hard minutes over 3 minutes of PK per game and almost all the rest even strength against opposing teams top lines. Yet for a guy who is technically on line 3 he still potted 22 goals and in all of his NHL seasons has maintained a pace for at least 22 goals with a 15% shot percentage. He also was tied for 3rd in SHG this year.

Philadelphia does need defense but I personally would rather them not trade key players like Read unless they were getting back a true top pair defenseman. I would prefer them to move prospects or picks in a deal for a player like that or sign a FA or simply develop Morin, Hagg, Gostisbehere, and/or Alt.

But yeah losing Read is a significant blow to the Flyers shutdown line and PK unit while also limiting Couturier's offensive options as the 3C. Not to insult the value I just see it setting the Flyers back as much as it moves them forward.

I would be pretty reluctant to trade Read. He is the Flyers 2nd best defensive forward and has fantastic chemistry with Couturier on the shutdown line. He plays the hard minutes over 3 minutes of PK per game and almost all the rest even strength against opposing teams top lines. Yet for a guy who is technically on line 3 he still potted 22 goals and in all of his NHL seasons has maintained a pace for at least 22 goals with a 15% shot percentage. He also was tied for 3rd in SHG this year.

Philadelphia does need defense but I personally would rather them not trade key players like Read unless they were getting back a true top pair defenseman. I would prefer them to move prospects or picks in a deal for a player like that or sign a FA or simply develop Morin, Hagg, Gostisbehere, and/or Alt.

But yeah losing Read is a significant blow to the Flyers shutdown line and PK unit while also limiting Couturier's offensive options as the 3C. Not to insult the value I just see it setting the Flyers back as much as it moves them forward.

just thinking your a flyers fan and not a canucks fan...

I like it. Reed is young, and has some offensive upside to go along with superb defensive skills, and a little grit on top of that. I thought he looked good in this years world championship, and paired with the right linemates he could be good second line winger for a long time.

good points. I wonder if comes down to whether PHI wants a reliable 2 way D man like Garrison that can man the PP and is willing to give up a good 2 way fwd. Of course I doubt it ever happens....but something like this, perhaps with another teams is something that might work.

I think Philly would make a great trading partner because of their abundance of younger players and prospects (similar to Anaheim). This is what I was thinking if we make a deal with Phi:

To Phi: Kesler and Garrison

To Van: B.Schenn or Matt Read + Scott Laughton or Sam Morin + Phi 1st rounder

Vancouver gets what they want for Kesler (roster player, prospect and draft pick(s)) and Philadelphia gets a 2nd line C and solid top 4 defenseman (which they seem to always want/need).

Archived