The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Florida Panthers to hire coach Monday

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722480
5 candidates someone hired on Monday.

Former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma interviewed with the Florida Panthers on Tuesday and is among five candidates being considered to become their coach, general manager Dale Tallon confirmed Wednesday, according to a report by TSN.

Darren Dreger tweeted Tallon "says Bylsma interviewed strong on Tues."

The Panthers will hire a coach Monday, Sun Sentinel reporter Harvey Fialkov tweeted.

Other candidates include Ron Wilson, Marc Crawford, Gerard Gallant and Bill Peters. Gallant coached the Columbus Blue Jackets for parts of three seasons and is an assistant coach with the Montreal Canadiens. Peters is an assistant with the Detroit Red Wings.

Tom Renney, another veteran coach, interviewed for the position Wednesday, according to Miami Herald reporter George Richards. Renney reportedly had a good interview, though Tallon didn't mention him among the confirmed finalists.

Bylsma was fired by the Penguins on June 6 after taking them to the Stanley Cup Playoffs in all six seasons he coached, including winning the 2009 Stanley Cup. He is 252-117-32 in 401 regular-season games.

Bylsma also is on the radar of the Vancouver Canucks, according to a report in the Vancouver Sun, though there was no indication the Canucks have reached out to him.

I'm always excited when things are looking up for Florida Panthers. I have no hopes of the team relocating or anything. I hope they can turn it around and start getting fans back into the building. To me, just the sunshine and summer activity location of Miami should not be the only obstacle that so many are blaming. With what Dale Tallon has done since coming in has been very promising and I hope he can keep up the good work & progress in the right direction.

Signing a new head coach like Dan Bylsma, with more than just a cup ring to prove he is a great coach would be one of the biggest steps so far. Re-aquiring of Roberto Luongo was probably the move that brought more people to the stands than this one, but in the long run, this would be very beneficial.

Sure John Tortorella has a ring as well, but I do feel and did so even before we signed him, that it had more to do with the team he (Torts) had than his superior coaching abilities that took the Lightning to a cup. Bylsma undoubtedly has had a great offensive group as well, but I'm confident he can coach a Panthers team back to the playoffs with the experience he has from Pittsburgh.

If it is indeed Bylsma, then good. I do NOT want him coaching the Canucks.

You don't want a cup winning, 6 straight playoff appearances coach whose team have played the exciting and up tempo offensive style of game Cancuks fans have been asking for?

I have seen a number of Penguins games. Probably as much as I have seen Canucks games over the last 3 years and I can say Penguins Hockey is probably one of the most entertaining brand of hockey out there.

You don't want a cup winning, 6 straight playoff appearances coach whose team have played the exciting and up tempo offensive style of game Cancuks fans have been asking for?

I have seen a number of Penguins games. Probably as much as I have seen Canucks games over the last 3 years and I can say Penguins Hockey is probably one of the most entertaining brand of hockey out there.

I think Crosby, Malkin, Letang and James Neal had more to do with that than did Blysma

I think it's hard not to play an uptempo game with players like Crosby and Malkin playing for him in the last 6 years..

not to take anything away from him, i just dont think the nucks has the roster to play Pen's style currently.

I think it's hard not to play an uptempo game with players like Crosby and Malkin playing for him in the last 6 years..

not to take anything away from him, i just dont think the nucks has the roster to play Pen's style currently.

Good coaches coach to the roster they have. Average coaches continue to coach their style no matter what players they have. That's what makes AV a good coach and Torts an average coach. Who knows where Bylsma fits as he's never been able to show where on the spectrum he is, much like Trotz, Stevens or any other coach that is currently available.

A mistake cause you want Bylsma or you dont want Stevens?

Both. Stevens was an awful caoch in Philly and Bylsma has a record of winning (even with Crosby and Malkin hurt) and coaches an entertaining style of hockey that I think should click well with players like the Sedins.

Archived