The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Yep. Funny because I forgot about Nolan for a few years now but now that OP made this, I see a very solid comparison between the 2 and I'd say it's the best one yet. Only thing is have to hope Virtanen develops properly and pans out otherwise he'll be a bust.

I don't think he'll bust. Unless your definition is he has to be top 6. Worst case Scenario we have a offensively gifted Torres or maybe a Chris Higgins with more grit.

His bust-ability is pretty low. He has size and skill to be a sure fire NHLer. Where he ends up is based on his work ethic. If we get a NHL regular out of Virtanen, I don't consider him a bust. Unless he goes Taylor Pyatt on us. But that is pretty much not going to happen.

Edited by N7Nucks

I don't think he'll bust. Unless your definition is he has to be top 6. Worst case Scenario we have a offensively gifted Torres or maybe a Chris Higgins with more grit.

His bust-ability is pretty low. He has size and skill to be a sure fire NHLer. Where he ends up is based on his work ethic. If we get a NHL regular out of Virtanen, I don't consider him a bust. Unless he goes Taylor Pyatt on us. But that is pretty much not going to happen.

hopefully he doesn't become taylor pyatt 2.0. pyatt was also the hopeful powerfoward type player. unfortunately it didn't work out for him. hopefully virtanen becomes much better than pyatt.

hopefully he doesn't become taylor pyatt 2.0. pyatt was also the hopeful powerfoward type player. unfortunately it didn't work out for him. hopefully virtanen becomes much better than pyatt.

I think Virtanen will be better than Pyatt/Torres but worse than Perry. I expect him to be a 65-80 point scorer, I hope he's Perry 2.0.

Goal expectations picks 6-10

Virtanen-35-50 goals

Fleury-8 goals

Nylander-20-35 goals

Ehlers-25-40 goals

Ritchie-10-30 goals

As BanTSN has said a lot before, Ehlers and Nylander have a better chance to bust, while Virtanen is better than Ritchie so Virtanen was the safe and great pick.

Any chance we see him moved part way through the season to a contender?

I realize this usually occurs with 19/20 year olds, but being such a high draft pick and playing on such a weak team, Calgary could really load up on assets and the receiving team would be assured a great player for at least one run (potentially two).

Living in Victoria, I know the Royals would love to add a dynamic piece or two for a deeper run, and the Canuck's brass would have him close to home.

Dare to dream

Any chance we see him moved part way through the season to a contender?

I realize this usually occurs with 19/20 year olds, but being such a high draft pick and playing on such a weak team, Calgary could really load up on assets and the receiving team would be assured a great player for at least one run (potentially two).

Living in Victoria, I know the Royals would love to add a dynamic piece or two for a deeper run, and the Canuck's brass would have him close to home.

Dare to dream

if he is probably to Portland or Kelowna, not Vancouver or Victoria.

if he is probably to Portland or Kelowna, not Vancouver or Victoria.

Those two are definitely more likely destinations. However Victoria could try and take the next step this season, they had a break-out season last year and some good young pieces ready to take the next step (Soy, Reddekopp, Walker...)

WHL teams are getting 2 years of Virtanen most likely so that should be enough to turn a team around. I think the Seattle Thunderbirds might make a push with Theodore, Barzal, Gropp, Bear on their team.

Kelowna looks a real possibility though, Merkley, Chartier, Bowey, Baillie, Kirkland are all very good players and likely staying with the team for 2 years atleast.

WHL teams are getting 2 years of Virtanen most likely so that should be enough to turn a team around. I think the Seattle Thunderbirds might make a push with Theodore, Barzal, Gropp, Bear on their team.

Kelowna looks a real possibility though, Merkley, Chartier, Bowey, Baillie, Kirkland are all very good players and likely staying with the team for 2 years atleast.

I'd agree those two would be the most likely as they have the urgency and assets. Seattle knows Barzal could be done after this year, and theo would be graduating to the AHL. Kelowna has a good core and more firepower is never a bad thing

when he was hurt he was given 4-6 months recovery time. From what ive heard and read he a freak who is way ahead of schedule. its not to far fetched to think he might be ready for main camp. hes still able to skate and keep himself conditionedm, hes just not able to have contact yet. so if he is ready y do people say theres no way he could make the team? if guys like ehlers nylander the sams and draisetle have a shot then i think jake does too. he already has pro speed shot and size. the three things that usually have a kid sent down. let me be clear im not saying he will be a canuck next season, im only pointing out that top 6 picks often crack the team there first year. Especially since he already has the size the shot and the speed.

when he was hurt he was given 4-6 months recovery time. From what ive heard and read he a freak who is way ahead of schedule. its not to far fetched to think he might be ready for main camp. hes still able to skate and keep himself conditionedm, hes just not able to have contact yet. so if he is ready y do people say theres no way he could make the team? if guys like ehlers nylander the sams and draisetle have a shot then i think jake does too. he already has pro speed shot and size. the three things that usually have a kid sent down. let me be clear im not saying he will be a canuck next season, im only pointing out that top 6 picks often crack the team there first year. Especially since he already has the size the shot and the speed.

Even if he heals completely by training camp, it's probably in his best developmental interest to return to the WHL as well.

• Upvote 1

top 6 picks don't crack an NHL roster after their draft year that often. after the 1st pick, the amount of times that happens falls off sharply. sure, the top picks go straight to the NHL more often than any other range of picks. It's hardly a regular occurance though. And in Jake's case, coming back in September is just too early even if he's healing quickly. injuring a surgically repaired shoulder before its had time to heal from said surgery would be hugely put him on the shelf even longer than the 6 month projection they put on him.

On top of all that, his talent is still very raw. he still has plenty to learn from junior hockey.

Edited by wshdrvvn
  • Upvote 2