The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Will he or won't he...be in the prospects tourney.

Jake Virtanen is almost ready...

Perhaps the question should be "should he or shouldn't he".

IMO, if Virtanen isn't 100%, he shouldn't. No need to expose him to risk for a "junior/college" tournament. Same for Shinkaruk, Demko and any other prospect who isn't 100%.

• Upvote 2

Guest Dasein

And Weber is finaly gonna get traded to the Canucks then suffer a career ending injury :lol:

It's okay - at least we'll have all three for a brief period of time and make it to game 6 of SCF.

And there's drafting a Claude Giroux clone that we can also look forward to!

Perhaps the question should be "should he or shouldn't he".

IMO, if Virtanen isn't 100%, he shouldn't. No need to expose him to risk for a "junior/college" tournament. Same for Shinkaruk, Demko and any other prospect who isn't 100%.

Yeah if they threw Virtanen in and he got re injured, id start calling our gm Jim "Dougy Maclean" Benning. Benning wont risk it but im sure he will skate with the guys so its not all bad.

Wow all i ever see from you is negative statements about someones posts. Are you not capable of doing your own post instead of just bashing someone elses? Worst part is you bash me yet have no actual response or facts to justify you bashing me. So tell me who from the 2014 draft is more nhl ready based on what i said about Jake? eg his size his speed his shot etc. Stop being a troll, people like you are the reason everyone hates nuck fans. Always looking to slag somebody elses opinion, while offering very little of one yourself

It's people like you that make everyone hate Canuck fans. I'm realistic not negative, I said I like the pick but saying he is the most NHL ready prospect is just wrong, 1+1 never = 3 yet in your case you want it to. Ekblad would be the obvious most NHL ready player from the draft, you can say he's not all you want but he is, Reinhart is more NHL ready and I'm sure you'll say he isn't too. JV was a great pick with where we were slotted. Don't get so emotional lady, you must be on your cycle.

Wow all i ever see from you is negative statements about someones posts. Are you not capable of doing your own post instead of just bashing someone elses? Worst part is you bash me yet have no actual response or facts to justify you bashing me. So tell me who from the 2014 draft is more nhl ready based on what i said about Jake? eg his size his speed his shot etc. Stop being a troll, people like you are the reason everyone hates nuck fans. Always looking to slag somebody elses opinion, while offering very little of one yourself

And aren't you the guy that said they played professional sports? Went and said you were drafted in the 5th round of 1998, said you blew your arm out at LSU and then I used google to debunk you? You have to lie just to try and make your points seem valid, which still doesn't work, don't try so hard, you try hard.

And aren't you the guy that said they played professional sports? Went and said you were drafted in the 5th round of 1998, said you blew your arm out at LSU and then I used google to debunk you? You have to lie just to try and make your points seem valid, which still doesn't work, don't try so hard, you try hard.

• Upvote 3

It's okay - at least we'll have all three for a brief period of time and make it to game 6 of SCF.

And there's drafting a Claude Giroux clone that we can also look forward to!

And this means we won the Kassian trade because he's gonna turn into Scott Hartnell 2.0!

We win if Kass is a legit second liner or better

Also the JV NHL ready debate, is null because physically he's there, but he's mentally a year behind guys like Reinhart.

Stoked for JV and his year this year will be very indicative of what we can expect out of him in comparison to the rest of his draft class. His late birthday combined with a few guys who are almost 1 year older than him getting drafted ahead of him make this season more of a comparable.

IF he puts up 105 points I would say he's going to be better than Draisaitl, but I could see Dal Colle putting up 110 points this year.

If he can match Dal Colle's numbers while being a physical force I think that would be the best we could hope for.

Edited by Derp...

if jake is ready to play in game 1 of the calagary hitmens season i would consider that a huge plus. he is not gonna be playing in the young stars or training camp. theres no way they will risk him getting injured again. And people lets not kid ourselfs here, he is going back to the hitmen where im sure he will dominate.

Edited by Southpop45

him being NHL ready is a conversation for another year...

I can't wait to see him play for Canada at the U-20's, and see if he gets top line minutes for his current club. WHat he did with his minutes last year was amazing, if he can elevate his game to his time and play the same way he did last year, there is no reason he shouldn't be close to the top of CHL scoring.

Haha. That's twice I've seen this goof get called out on that lie, and I've yet to see him respond to it. Why do children always feel the need to lie?

What a chump

1 point per 17.8 mins or something like that if he get's an increase in icetime to 21-22 mins he should be able to score at 1.25 ppg

That would be about 75 points in 60 games as a base line for him to score. If he doesn't reach that while getting 4-5 mins more per game I would say he has not developed as quickly as excepted offensively.

If he's able to improve his points per 17.8 mins to 1.25 then we would see an increase in ppg to by 0.31 for he additional ice time and .25 for the development in skill. That would come to 1.56 ppg. In 60 games he would score 94 points. At that point I would be pretty stoked with his development over 1 year.

For comparison Dal Colle scored 1point every 17.85 mins, which is actually worse than Virtanen, but Reinhart was around 1 point every 16+ mins, Draisaitl was 1 every 15+ mins, and Bennet was 1 every 14+ or so.
For Virtanen to score 94 points he would need to be scoring 1 point every 14.25 mins which is very lofty I think a more reasonable projection for him is 1 point every 16 mins, and that would work out to be, 1.38 points per game based on 22 mins which amounts to 83 points in 60 games.
80 points in 60 games is a fair goal for him in my opinion and would almost put him on par with Reinhart based on their ages. That is crazy to me, but the numbers are there. I'm also really interested to see how he stacks up against Dal Colle by the end of the year.
The real question is whether he will maintain his goal scoring ratio or just improve his assist totals. If he maintains a ratio of .633 goal per point then he will be on pace to put up 51 goals in 60 games... That's pretty ridiculous for a draft +1 year.
There are very few if any guys who have .6 or better goal to point ratio wgile putting up over PPG totals. I hope Virtanen can maintain that stat because we need goals.
  • Upvote 3

1 point per 17.8 mins or something like that if he get's an increase in icetime to 21-22 mins he should be able to score at 1.25 ppg

That would be about 75 points in 60 games as a base line for him to score. If he doesn't reach that while getting 4-5 mins more per game I would say he has not developed as quickly as excepted offensively.

If he's able to improve his points per 17.8 mins to 1.25 then we would see an increase in ppg to by 0.31 for he additional ice time and .25 for the development in skill. That would come to 1.56 ppg. In 60 games he would score 94 points. At that point I would be pretty stoked with his development over 1 year.

For comparison Dal Colle scored 1point every 17.85 mins, which is actually worse than Virtanen, but Reinhart was around 1 point every 16+ mins, Draisaitl was 1 every 15+ mins, and Bennet was 1 every 14+ or so.

For Virtanen to score 94 points he would need to be scoring 1 point every 14.25 mins which is very lofty I think a more reasonable projection for him is 1 point every 16 mins, and that would work out to be, 1.38 points per game based on 22 mins which amounts to 83 points in 60 games.

80 points in 60 games is a fair goal for him in my opinion and would almost put him on par with Reinhart based on their ages. That is crazy to me, but the numbers are there. I'm also really interested to see how he stacks up against Dal Colle by the end of the year.

The real question is whether he will maintain his goal scoring ratio or just improve his assist totals. If he maintains a ratio of .633 goal per point then he will be on pace to put up 51 goals in 60 games... That's pretty ridiculous for a draft +1 year.

There are very few if any guys who have .6 or better goal to point ratio wgile putting up over PPG totals. I hope Virtanen can maintain that stat because we need goals.

I honestly think Virtanen will have the highest point rise from this draft. The Anthony Mantha of this draft. Minus the IQ, Virtanen is arguably most offensively skilled forward in this draft. Edited by TheSnipeshow91
  • Upvote 2

Theoretically and barring injury he will only get faster and no one can catch him now.

His point/min. is going to go up for sure but how much?

I honestly think Virtanen will have the highest point rise from this draft. The Anthony Mantha of this draft. Minus the IQ, Virtanen is arguably most offensively skilled forward in this draft.

Mantha put up ridiculous numbers this year. I dono if Virtanen can get close to that, but I agree He has the most amount of ceiling space available out of the top 6. Any major increase in production will be very dependant on his minuets per game. I don't know of many players that played under 20 mins per game and put up 80+ points in junior.