The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And we need an elite skilled centre to get him the puck in scoring spots.  Patrick?  

yes I just posted that lol or Nico?? Maybe a Duchene or Hopkins? Via A Tanev or Sutter trade?

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

i would be very happy to admit i'm wrong if indeed jake becomes a legit top six NHLer. i'm rooting for the kid of course. 

it's hard not to be negative when all other prospects (it seems) are doing so much "better" - but jake's path, i think also was a little uncanny. yes, this is jake's +3 draft season, but technically, this is jake's first full AHL season. even if this is his 3rd season post draft. next season is what i'm most curious about. since he's had a full season in the AHL is his second season in the AHL, and how he will do compared to his first season. if there's regression next season, then yes, we should be worried. if there's progression, then that's good news! 

If you watch Willie's exit presser you will glean some interesting comments / insight on both Virtanen and McCann - nothing new but clearly shows they were both cocky and immature.

Willie said something to the effect of 'they (JV/JM) likely didn't think I got through to them", then went on to say some players aren't "Ready to learn, Boeser is ready to learn"

So what that says is JV's issue is likely maturity, thinking he was the man and had 'made it' like many here said, and too many buddies pumping his tires making him think he was a celeb/star already and should be hanging with Bieber the day before a game.

Moving him to Utica was clearly a good move and has apparently been a bit of a shot to his oversized ego, enough to likely reign it in now. Not to mention the fact that competition on the wings in the top 6 is not heated with Baer/Granny/Goldy/Boeser clearly showing they are legit (or can be in Goldy/Boeser's case) top 6 players, leaving no real holes in those spots (and lets not forget Dahlen).

Green has stated he's learning, that was Willie's issue with him -some players are about skills, some about hockey IQ, combination thereof and some also have issues of maturity at a young age (as many do at that age). If his biggest issue was being willing to learn, and he's showing he's learning, maybe its time to be a bit patient.

Edited by Boeser6
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bp79 said:

yes I just posted that lol or Nico?? Maybe a Duchene or Hopkins? Via A Tanev or Sutter trade?

God, would LOVE TO TRADE both Tanev and Sutter.  Could you imagine adding RNH, Duchene, and Hischier this summer?  We'd surely be a HELL OF A LOT more fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Jake Virtanen ends the AHL season with 9 goals, 10 assists in 65 games.

His 0.29 PPG were ranked 16th amongst Comets 'regulars'

I'm going to judge Jake on next season. If he comes into camp in good shape I think he will have a god season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boeser6 said:

no chance- RNH sure lines up well against the Getzlaf/Kesler/Toews type players hey

People rag on Sutter way too much  -17 goals on a crap team, takes the heavy defensive minutes, good in the circle - he's Kesler lite - a good 2c when needed and an excellent 3c

Sounds like Sutter is better than RNH, and costs a lot less.

14 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

?? Um i don't think anyone is retarded... wow. Can i not have an opinion?

My argument is not irrational, Jake was rated higher on most charts than Ehlers and Nylander...guess why that was. It was because of him having the looks of a power forward who can score goals and take over a game. Yes he is being developed but if you watch any games and see his stats... right now it is not adding up to be a top line player. Next year he could take a huge jump forward... or he could stay the same. No one knows at this point but based upon this last season it is not looking like a future top line player right now.

I doubt you have A personal grudge against the guy. Most of your posts seem quite the opposite. One thing I keep pointing out is we rushed him B he came to camp the first year and was given crap minutes on the 4th line. That may be fine for a centre who can contribute in other ways like Bo did. It also seemed from the start that he was given every chance to fail by willie. Every time he made a mistake he sat for long stretches, yet guys kike Megna could do no wrong. McCann showed as a centre he was probably not going to cut it which is why JB traded him. Jake had a chance this year to play top 6 minutes, due to injuries, but shot himself in the foot by coming in out of shape and with a bad attitude. He seems to have corrected that and learned how to better play D. Once he was paired with someone with talent, his offence looked much improved.

I will use JP from the oilers as an example of the top 4 picks this year, and the 3 who stayed he had by far the worst numbers of the 3. He spent the whole time he played as an oiler on the 3rd-4th line mostly the 4th. He was not given the chance Laine or Mathews were given for a guy that right up until the draft was by some scouts ahead of laine and 2 scouts said he was the complete player in the draft.  He played 28 games and scored 1 goal and 7 assists. worse # then Jake had in his first season. If he played top 6 minutes you think he would have had such a miserable season?

I think people are just saying you can't judge Jake by his NHL # or the first 50 games of his time-me in Utica. This year was his own fault for not being prepared, and also the Gillis regime for having zero talent ready to make the jump to the big club, while biding their time in Utica waiting for the call and putting up huge numbers there.

It's easy to look at Ehlers and Nylander and say well look at them they are killing Jake in points. Being A Jets fan and watching most of their games Ehlers yes he is super talented. He is also getting a huge roll surrounded by stars, and his D is not all that great. Nylander sucks on d and would get crushed playing out west. IMO If next year Jake is in Utica that will worry me, If he is in Utica and regresses that will really worry me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boeser6 said:

no chance- RNH sure lines up well against the Getzlaf/Kesler/Toews type players hey

People rag on Sutter way too much  -17 goals on a crap team, takes the heavy defensive minutes, good in the circle - he's Kesler lite - a good 2c when needed and an excellent 3c

Plays hard, kills penalties, has speed, decent size - he's not a full time 2c and that's the issue.

I agree the nuge is not A 3rd line centre. That job would go to Nolan if we end up drafting him Sutter is a great 3rd line centre After bo we have nobody ready to take the 1st line duties or second depending on bos path Dahlen Nico or Nolan might be that 1st or second in the future, but what about the next couple of years. If you look at our top 9 ,Even without Dahlen the only way it works is to move Sutter This is all based on if we draft top 2 and they are NHL ready next year If er do acquire a guy like Duchene or Hopkins It creates more of a logjam this year =., but after hen retires then hopefully it would be Nolan?Nico BO Dahlen If the 2017 pick isn't ready then move Dalen to the wing and the 2017 pick can be the 3rd line centre until ready. Both are big and both can play a 200-foot game very well. My point was we will need a top centre and sSutter is the odd man out and the oilers need one since like you pointed out. The nuge is not 3rd line material

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like Sutter is better than RNH, and costs a lot less.

sure as A 3rd line centre I never once said to trade for Hopkins to put him as our 3rd line centre that would be retarded All I said was we are pretty much set on wingers we need a 1st line centre for when Hank retirtes. Bo may not even reach that if we luck out and get one of the top 2 picks they can play the 3rd spot until?if they are ready. Bo stays on the second and a guy like Duchene or Hopkins can go on the first. If Dahlen or our 2017 pick turns into that #1 then we have a trade chip  or can move to wing.We still have to fill daniels vacancy as well

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

How old is Kass, 26 that's how old he is. Now, finally looking like a player that we wished he would become. He had to over come his demons but still took him till he was 26.  So patience with Jake, he has all the tools just need to put it together.

I agree on Jake . This kass love is silly. ! good game. He was literally booed at home on numerous occasions. Look at his stats for this year pathetic. I highly doubt Jake turns out to be like Kass Jake will be a much better player. He is already capable of what Kass does. And this is from a guy who prayed for Kass to turn it around. One game means nothing.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Despite the lack of points this was a huge year for Jake.   Really got on the right page both mentally and physically.  If that carries through his offseason I think we'll like what we see.

Yup. Even if he doesn't rack up a lot of points, if he's throwing his trademark devastating hits without getting caught out of position, and drawing more penalties than he's taking, he's worth having in the lineup.

• Upvote 1

Utica did not have any depth this year, partly because of the injury problems in Vancouver.  No NHL quality centermen to work alongside Virtanen. It would have helped his game.  But I think he may approach his summer training a little better this year.  Sent to Utica is like sending a Russian player to Siberia.  Maybe he will want it a little more now.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

Man... Virtanen, Hischier, Goldobin would be a hell of a 1st line in Utica next year! Come on lotto balls!

Yeah, but considering it's very unlikely we sign any UFAs of significance this year, I'm expecting one of Jake or Goldie to likely make the roster, if not be the first call-up.  In addition, JB's said there are two guys in the draft who will play in the NHL next year (almost certainly Patrick and Hischier) so unless he (and the other two) bombs at camp he likely makes the team, too.  Have to keep the transition moving forward, and this could well be the swansong for the Sedins and the leader/mentorship they can offer the yutes.  Also perhaps the reason there's smoke around them really wanting Juolevi to take a good shot at camp, too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bp79 said:

I agree the nuge is not A 3rd line centre. That job would go to Nolan if we end up drafting him Sutter is a great 3rd line centre After bo we have nobody ready to take the 1st line duties or second depending on bos path Dahlen Nico or Nolan might be that 1st or second in the future, but what about the next couple of years. If you look at our top 9 ,Even without Dahlen the only way it works is to move Sutter This is all based on if we draft top 2 and they are NHL ready next year If er do acquire a guy like Duchene or Hopkins It creates more of a logjam this year =., but after hen retires then hopefully it would be Nolan?Nico BO Dahlen If the 2017 pick isn't ready then move Dalen to the wing and the 2017 pick can be the 3rd line centre until ready. Both are big and both can play a 200-foot game very well. My point was we will need a top centre and sSutter is the odd man out and the oilers need one since like you pointed out. The nuge is not 3rd line material

dont think we care about the next few years - goal is 2-3 year out to start being a contender

also its Nolan Patrick not Patrick Nolan

Also point was Nuge is also not  quality 2nd line center -he's small and soft

Next year

Bo

Henrik

Sutter

Then you sign a stop gap 3c if needed for one year while you wait on who we drafted

Bo 

Sutter

3c/Guance/Chaput/Casells

Edited by Boeser6

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

As I said...

Man... Virtanen, Hischier, Goldobin would be a hell of a 1st line in Utica next year! Come on lotto balls!

Put Valk at 2C and add a few upgrades that are coming at D...

Unless Hischier is on loan, he's not able to play in the AHL.  Its Jr or NHL next season