The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Well that's what the ahl is for, unfortunately Jake skipped a step that he needed. 

NHL coaches don't have time for making sure certain players get special treatment.

He needed the ahl, that's what they do down there. Thankfully he spent a year with green there, another full season will do him good (given the right coach). 

Wasn't eligible to play in the AHL that year though. Not an option.

I agree, he should spend at least most of next year in Utica (along with some of our other, better prospects IMO).

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Wasn't eligible to play in the AHL that year though. Not an option.

I agree, he should spend at least most of next year in Utica (along with some of our other, better prospects IMO).

Ya and that's always been the issue with the CHL. 

Ya I'd like to see him play with some of our other prospects. He needs to take more responsibility with his preparation... Can't hold his hand through his career. 

Just now, cyoung said:

Ya and that's always been the issue with the CHL. 

Ya I'd like to see him play with some of our other prospects. He needs to take more responsibility with his preparation... Can't hold his hand through his career. 

By all accounts, he accomplished that this year. Hopefully he has the discipline to maintain/build on that this summer.

• Upvote 1

Just now, J.R. said:

By all accounts, he accomplished that this year. Hopefully he has the discipline to maintain/build on that this summer.

Ya, always forget that he is still so young. 

Jake can still be that player we hoped for when we took him 6th overall. As people have stated, it's the first time thever kid has had to work through adversity on the ice. Being more physically mature and dominant over your peers in Jr allowed him to mask some of his deficiencies in his game. As long as he puts in the time this off season I think and hope were going to see a bounce back season out of Jake. If he's back in the ahl I'm hoping he puts up 15 plus goals.  Needs to take that next step offensively for sure..

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Virtanen Will make the Canucks opening roster. His biggest detractor was Willy. Benning and Green and the fanbase want to see him play. 

Up to him if he can stay up. I'm betting yes with Green coaching him. 

No its because he came to camp overweight and with a bad attitude. He's worked through it and is probably gonna start in the AHL

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Virtanen Will make the Canucks opening roster. His biggest detractor was Willy. Benning and Green and the fanbase want to see him play. 

Up to him if he can stay up. I'm betting yes with Green coaching him. 

Green will not be handing out free candy. He needs to earn a spot and he has not done that. He would have to have one amazing camp to do so. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Maybe he doesn't want to gossip like some others have done around here...

Gossip is gossip, and facts (if so presented) are facts.  He is under no obligation to withhold any information, and I highly doubt Jake would have told him anything that he knew needed to be kept quiet.  I feel it is like going up to someone and saying something like "I know something you would like to know!" but then refusing to tell them.  Either tell them, or keep quiet about it.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Gossip is gossip, and facts (if so presented) are facts.  He is under no obligation to withhold any information, and I highly doubt Jake would have told him anything that he knew needed to be kept quiet.  I feel it is like going up to someone and saying something like "I know something you would like to know!" but then refusing to tell them.  Either tell them, or keep quiet about it.

You must be great at parties...

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Sometimes you can have real conversations with these players about matters other than just the game. In that case why would you want to blab about everything shared in that conversation. Its a good way to make sure that players never open up to fans because even their off-hand comments are being transcribed somewhere on the internet. These players are people and they deserve some privacy. Also there is a rule on here that forbids talking about the personal lives of players, so anything that isn't pertinent to his game is against the rules.

100% agree Toews.  I'm gladdened to hear there are young persons (like yourself) who have scruples.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Sometimes you can have real conversations with these players about matters other than just the game. In that case why would you want to blab about everything shared in that conversation. Its a good way to make sure that players never open up to fans because even their off-hand comments are being transcribed somewhere on the internet. These players are people and they deserve some privacy. Also there is a rule on here that forbids talking about the personal lives of players, so anything that isn't pertinent to his game is against the rules.

Firstly, I don't think I mentioned anything about his "personal life", and agree that anything in that regard isn't really meant for public consumption.  And if that is the information that was revealed, then so be it.

But I think you guys are missing the point.  Do you really think he's going to open up in a few minutes to a complete stranger and reveal something that he is trying to keep quiet to everyone else?  His hockey IQ might not be that high but I doubt he is an idiot.  I can all but guarantee that he didn't have a revelation and decide he was going to bounce information off a complete stranger that he wasn't willing to have the public know about.  Hence, if there is information that BoesersFlow thinks we would like to hear then he is under no obligation (even morally) to keep it withheld.

I'm about one of the most moral and loyal people I know.  I am not suggesting that BF goes and tells us all sorts of insider information that shouldn't be out there - I'm simply suggesting he doesn't HAVE any information that shouldn't be out there.  It might be information that isn't being advertised, but isn't something that is necessarily meant to be withheld.

14 minutes ago, BoesersFlow said:

Truth told, I started a few of my questions with "Off the record. but I gotta ask you this"

And lets leave it at that.

The members here do not like cliff hangers! ::D

• Upvote 2