The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

If we keep this guy, we really need to make him a regular fixture on the penalty kill. Let’s put his speed to work and score some shorties. I think he’d be willing to take on that kind of roll and it would force him to think more about defense too.

Edited by Slegr

On 10/16/2020 at 4:03 PM, Slegr said:

If we keep this guy, we really need to make him a regular fixture on the penalty kill. Let’s put his speed to work and score some shorties. I think he’d be willing to take on that kind of roll and it would force him to think more about defense too.

He has the tools. Afraid be hasn't shown the commitment to build the stamina required for staying out there for potentially 1min+ pk'ing though.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

He has the tools. Afraid be hasn't shown the commitment to build the stamina required for staying out there for potentially 1min+ pk'ing though.

I wonder how his off-season is going so far in terms of training 

Is this off-season different than previous ones? 

praying that it is :mellow:

Maybe this off seaon Jake will put his mind to work and take his fitness and training seriously. The off season is now fall/winter VS always being during the Summer, SO....Jake can focus on hockey related tasks rather than chasing girls drinking and boating in the beautiful Okanagan.

Either way I think Coach Green has INKED Jake into a certain role on the Canucks and until he gets traded/released/walks as FA he won't get the lengthy stint in a top 6 role to see if he can contribute higher point totals...even if he is the 3rd wheel on the line he surely will get his points from time to time. But, that didn't work with loSersson being gifted top 6 minutes.

Work hard Jake, I still hope you get a fair shake here but man you have to put the effort in and force the coach to say man this guy deserves a promotion...he has EARNED it, key word Jake...EARNING your minutes this isn't the WHL, this is the world's BEST league where fast skating and a good shot doesn't gift you top 6 minutes and PP time

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

Has there been any news about Jakes arbitration hearing? If not, is  there a typical time frame for results?

His hearing is the 28th and the ruling happens within 48 hours after the hearing.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, mll said:

His hearing is the 28th and the ruling happens within 48 hours after the hearing.

That's good news.  So we will know by Halloween what his contract will be.  That gives Benning plenty of time to figure out where Jake fits in, what are cap situation is, and if we need to make a trade, buyout a player, get another forward or Dman, or just stand pat.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:06 AM, mll said:

Will the Canucks use their second buyout window?

Sportsnet 650: Elliotte Friedman on the Vancouver Canucks and Jake Virtanen: “Are the Canucks going to use a buyout? I think they know where Virtanen is going to be. It’s not going to arbitration, both sides know what the deal is going to be. A second buyout window opens when that deal is done.

sounds like that he's not going to arbitration, signing with the Nuck's instead ahead of the scheduled arbitration date.

50 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

A bit too rich for my liking.  Shouldn't have gotten a penny more than what Mangiapane got, IMO.

Meh, not the worst deal though.

Interesting comment today  regarding Gaudette.... "Even after putting up 33 points in 59 games — a better scoring rate, it should be noted, than Jake Virtanen,"

You could tell throughout the season Myers and Virtanen were building a strong relationship.  Perhaps no one in the past has been willing to do so, but maybe Tyler is the conduit to help Virt.  I know Milsy has worked with Jake on his game on ice, but seems like Myers has taken the off ice duty which I think could be just as important than the on ice stuff.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

He's saying the right things... Now time to follow that up with some bonafide actions and results.

Nothing would makec coaches management, teammates and fans happier than Jake coming in to camp as one of the fittest guys and working his arse off in practice and in games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

If Jake is in fact training with Myers every day, then that's a great sign.  Myers might not play at the level we generally wish he could, but I don't think conditioning has really ever been an issue for him.  Jake doesn't need to become Rod Brindamour but if he is putting this kind of work for next season, then I'm optimistic about at least seeing an improved on-ice performance next year.  The wildcard is always the development between the ears and whether Jake can stay focused and play consistently.  Having consistent training with Myers may be a good step towards that.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Interesting comment today  regarding Gaudette.... "Even after putting up 33 points in 59 games — a better scoring rate, it should be noted, than Jake Virtanen,"

Leivo also had a better production rate.  Virtanen was the 11th best PPG on the team and 9th best forward.

Jake has earned every bit of skepticism thrown his way.  It is up to him to prove he isn’t the player he has shown himself to be for the last 5 years.  He has been “about to break out” every year since being a rookie.

Edited by Provost

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

Virtanen was the 11th best PPG on the team and 9th best forward.

This page shows Jake as the 7th best points per minute player on the team

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=scoringRates&reportType=game&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&dateFromSeason&gameType=2&playerPlayedFor=franchise.20&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=pointsPer605v5&page=0&pageSize=50

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If Jake is in fact training with Myers every day, then that's a great sign.  Myers might not play at the level we generally wish he could, but I don't think conditioning has really ever been an issue for him.  Jake doesn't need to become Rod Brindamour but if he is putting this kind of work for next season, then I'm optimistic about at least seeing an improved on-ice performance next year.  The wildcard is always the development between the ears and whether Jake can stay focused and play consistently.  Having consistent training with Myers may be a good step towards that.

I honestly think his supposed lack of 'IQ' gets over blown. I mean he's not the missing Sedin but...

His problem has always been his commitment/conditioning which then leads to an inability to be consistent both within a game (caught on a long shift, later in a hard game etc)

and from one game to the next (inability to stay consistent game to game in compressed schedule etc).  

And have you ever tried to make calm, clear and intelligent decisions while violently gasping for oxygen? Basically impossible. (And here's where I note that two of the so called smartest Canucks ever, were also two of the best conditioned... No coincidence)

It all shows up in his performance from game to game and trends over a season or even multiple seasons.

IMO it all stems from his lack of commitment and conditioning. If he were only to address that, it would ripple down through all his supposed weaknesses. Better conditioning = more able to play consistently shift to shift, even playing more minutes (the coach now trusts you with) or with the odd long/hard shift. Better able to recover and be consistent game to game. Better able to make smart puck decisions/plays when not light headed and gasping for breath.

It's not rocket science. That horse just needs to actually drink after being led to water so many &^@#ing times!