The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Put Hoglander on another line and they rack up points. Put Virtanen on the 2nd line and he sucks the offence right out. No wonder Gaudette gets 2 easy assists moved up with some decent linemates.

Yes Virtanen skated and played with enthusiasm, but the offence is gone. 1 goal in 20 games and just over a shot per game. He's getting quality top 6 minutes now and still not doing anything with it, whereas Hoglander and Gaudette look good together.

If we struggle I'd next swap Bo and Sutter, a line of Horvat, Hoglander and Gaudette could be interesting.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Put Hoglander on another line and they rack up points. Put Virtanen on the 2nd line and he sucks the offence right out. No wonder Gaudette gets 2 easy assists moved up with some decent linemates.

Yes Virtanen skated and played with enthusiasm, but the offence is gone. 1 goal in 20 games and just over a shot per game. He's getting quality top 6 minutes now and still not doing anything with it, whereas Hoglander and Gaudette look good together.

If we struggle I'd next swap Bo and Sutter, a line of Horvat, Hoglander and Gaudette could be interesting.

There hasn't been much offence on the 2nd line for some weeks now. Long before Virtanen slotting in there. Your bang on that Hoglander and Gaudette looked great together. Gaudette was flying las game. Either one of those two have the ability to blow a game wide open. Their both due for big ppg games. I think Bo is playing injred. His FO % has really tanked. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Boudrias said:

There hasn't been much offence on the 2nd line for some weeks now. Long before Virtanen slotting in there. Your bang on that Hoglander and Gaudette looked great together. Gaudette was flying las game. Either one of those two have the ability to blow a game wide open. Their both due for big ppg games. I think Bo is playing injred. His FO % has really tanked. 

And doesn't that line match up against the other team's top lines? 

On 1/28/2020 at 8:19 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Jake on the 2nd unit PK last game, exciting to see. When he learns pk then I think he's getting a couple shorties. And letting Bo catch a breather.

That's a really good idea.  He has breakaway speed and good takeaway skills, and should be ideal for this.

• Cheers 1

On 2/28/2021 at 7:51 AM, Boudrias said:

IMHO there is no point in moving Jake now versus waiting until Van can get a deal. Does a different coach, if Green leaves, get more from Jake? Jake has only had to pro coaches in his career. Does a bigger deal with Jake as a part get a better deal? Considering that Jake has probably been on the market for at least two years the NHL managements knows Benning’s thinking. 

Benning should string this out thru March and should not succumb to pressure. Change for change sake is a ugly road to take.

I think it's best to trade over-the-hill/no longer signable players as early as possible in a season you are not going to make the playoffs (like this one.)  But keep your younger players and players with contract value til later or just keep them.  101 asset management I would think.  Throwing Virtanen in for another player doesn't make as much sense as dealing a lot of other players first (e.g., Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Sutter, Edler, in particular, and obviously Erkisson, although he is looking like a buyout.)

I'm in the group that would like to see the Canucks go back to a version of a rebuild: get rid of all the players who are not working out/not in the plans/take up valuable cap space and build for a run in a year or two.  Getting rid of Benning would have to be part of this.  And by the end of the homestand coming up. The trade value of everyone they need to get rid of would seem, to me at least, to go down every day now.  Teams trying to make the playoffs need the new blood now, while there is still time to make the playoffs.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Virtanen's story as a Canuck is a really sad one. Had so much potential, and over the last 7 years, it's just been wasted because he was either unmotivated to keep his body in shape, and train well, and now, it's just the coaching staff doesn't see him as one who can contribute offensively and become a good top six forward anymore, and at 25 years old. When he's traded, he'll be someone else's reclamation project unfortunately. It really is too bad with Jake. He had so much damn potential to become a star in the best hockey league in the world, but that's all now gone to waste. 

On 3/2/2021 at 9:03 AM, BCNate said:

Yup, we have to give credit where it's due.  He has looked good on the 2nd line the past 2 games.  If he could only play with that edge while on the third line, he would be removed from the trade block for sure.

Wonder what caused Jake to suddenly play with such intensity? Maybe the threat of being moved away from home? If that's the case, maybe we should threaten him continually. LOL 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hard to believe he only has 1 point in 21 games, but I've actually liked the play of Virtanen. He's been getting takeaways, clearing the puck, and shooting more. I like the looks he's been getting on the second line. Now, if only he wasn't so snakebitten.

• Cheers 3

Virtanen's two goals jumps him up two spots in the all-time Canuck scoring list, into 92nd.

91.  Brandon Sutter C 259 51 48 99
92.  Jake Virtanen RW 301 53 45 98
93.  Gino Odjick LW 444 46 52 98
94.  Lars Molin LW 172 33 65 98
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I'm super happy that he's producing. He needs to build off this, but let's not get carried away either; both goals were flukes lol.

Lol, your hatred towards him is getting boring. The first one might be a fluke but the second one was a pure snipe with no deflections. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

Lol, your hatred towards him is getting boring. The first one might be a fluke but the second one was a pure snipe with no deflections. 

I actually don't hate him - I'm not one of Virt's haters. I was genuinely super happy for him scoring to shut the haters up. At the same time, I really want him to build off this, so that Virtanen would be this player that the Canucks don't walk away from.

The disappointing thing about Virt is that he has all the size and skill in the world, but critics of him have been harping on his consistency, which is hard to defend. It hasn't been good. But he's got such raw skill.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Virtanen's two goals jumps him up two spots in the all-time Canuck scoring list, into 92nd.

91.  Brandon Sutter C 259 51 48 99
92.  Jake Virtanen RW 301 53 45 98
93.  Gino Odjick LW 444 46 52 98
94.  Lars Molin LW 172 33 65 98

I wonder if Jakes outburst will light a fire under Sutter

Hopefully he comes out and defends his spot in the top 91

Had the game PVRd and fast forwarded through all the stops in play/commercials/intermissions. Ended up taking 2 shots of tequila in an hour because I didn’t have any beers to shotgun. Plus another shot for the Canucks win. 

If Jake had some consistency in his game he would be a beast. His two goals were a bit of a fluke but he used his size and speed at both ends of the rink which led to his success tonight. He could’ve had a couple of apples tonight too as he made that nice little pass to Pearson and fed Horvat off the rush, who both couldn’t convert their chances. Historically, Jake is a very streaky player. Here’s hoping he goes on a bit of hot streak and Greener keeps him with Horvat until at least the trade deadline...

• Cheers 1

The problem before was Jake was on the 4th line. Beagle doesn't create anything and Jake isn't a grinder. 

His best game in a Canuck uniform was tonight, and it wasn't even the fact he scored twice. He was buzzing all night, that is the best I've ever seen him skate. He also made some nice passes and defensive play. If Jake played like tonight every night (again forget the goals) no one would ever complain. Yes he needs to produce but the fact he was engaged all night and not floating was amazing. 

That all being said, Jimbo send the highlight tape from tonight to all 31 teams and have him traded by 9am tomorrow! Its Virtanen guys he's gonna sleep for the next 20 after tonight

• Haha 1

Maybe without Petey in the lineup Jake felt he had to carry the offence a bit more and he did well. He's been skating well for the last few games now but not producing any sort of offence and tonight finally gets rewarded. 2 goals always looks good but I'd just say they were a bit flukey - the 1st one Muzzin bats it into his own net otherwise it wasn't going in, and the 2nd goal was a weak one by Hutchinson, beaten on a very sharp angle shot. That being said, he created those chances by driving hard to the net and just putting the puck on goal. Most of the time, we make these plays and they don't go in but it's good to see two go in for Jake.

He has to build from this though, a stat line of 22 GP, 3 G, 0 A is still brutal but hopefully this will light a fire under him, give him some confidence and help him produce more offence. Ironically on the other end of the ice I thought Nylander was the Leaf's best player and had about 3-4 A-grade scoring chances.

• Cheers 1

Great game Jake! I have to laugh at the "realistic fans" describing one well earned hard work force his way to the net goal and one beautiful snipe as "lucky". Must be nice for Jake to know his fans have his back lol.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2