The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

14 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Gawd, Miller is good but so freaking lazy in his own end it's not even funny. He's just such a good player he get's away with it sometimes. A lot of times he's fighting Hughes for whose fault the goal is. he just quits on the dside way earlier.

I said exactly this in the Miller thread not too long ago. The third goal by Ottawa last game, where Miller gave the puck away across the ice, he just gives up after. Let's Brady Tkachuk walk to the net with a little stick wack, and we get scored on. The guy can show so much heart, and then literally turn around and give up. It is becoming more and more infuriating honestly.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

Whenever someone uses "pace" it is an excuse for "not really that number"...that is someone trying to massage the data to make it look like something other than it is.  He doesn't get paid per 82 games, he gets paid for whole seasons.

You also neglect to note his points total... he gets virtually no assists.

His goals are 10, 15, 18, and 5 over the past 4 seasons... not a perennial 18 goal scorer

His points are 20, 25. 36, 5 over the past 4 seasons.

That is despite getting plenty of looks in the top 6 and PP time.  He isn't good at producing points... and that is his best attribute.

How the goals are distributed is immensely important as you can predict repeatability.  If Jeff Cowan gets 10 goals in 10 games... he isn't an 80 goal scorer.

Jake has 22 points since the start of last February. in 72 games played.

I have no doubt that Jake scores 30 goals on his next team to secure a big fat contract. What happens after that I think is a crap shoot. 

He's got all the physical tools, but he's acted like a kid/clown here. I hope this current stuff isn't true, it would be horrible. But its time to move on regardless. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have no doubt that Jake scores 30 goals on his next team to secure a big fat contract. What happens after that I think is a crap shoot. 

He's got all the physical tools, but he's acted like a kid/clown here. I hope this current stuff isn't true, it would be horrible. But its time to move on regardless. 

May be KHL bound if there's any validity to the accusations.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

30 goals... in how many years?  He may never score 30 more goals in his entire NHL career 

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

30 goals... in how many years?  He may never score 30 more goals in his entire NHL career 

it just wouldn't surprise me at all if that happened. He's never put in a full year of effort and the one time he gets inspired to, it will be for a big contract. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it just wouldn't surprise me at all if that happened. He's never put in a full year of effort and the one time he gets inspired to, it will be for a big contract. 

What kind of effort though, just hard on the puck ?

I think he doesn't like to hit too hard, so guys don't come after him for it and why he doesn't do more than wrestle with someone if they hit one of his team mates in a vulnerable situation

Wonder how many times in all these years this bigger guy has come to a fallen comrades defense?

Not enough to be a good team mate and just a fringe player on this team with no consistent role he fills

He would be lucky if Seattle takes him and he stays close to his family and friends, but should've been shipped out East for some asset return

54 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What kind of effort though, just hard on the puck ?

I think he doesn't like to hit too hard, so guys don't come after him for it and why he doesn't do more than wrestle with someone if they hit one of his team mates in a vulnerable situation

Wonder how many times in all these years this bigger guy has come to a fallen comrades defense?

Not enough to be a good team mate and just a fringe player on this team with no consistent role he fills

He would be lucky if Seattle takes him and he stays close to his family and friends, but should've been shipped out East for some asset return

he would. Dunno, the kids a mystery. If I knew what the solution was I'd offer it to Benning in exchange for season tickets in the club level. 

My son sent me a message telling me about this yesterday and I was shocked.  It was before it was posted here but I feel it's not really fair to share tweets/stuff until something official is published because it's all hearsay.  Even now...nothing has proven him guilty.

But Jake has likely used up his 9 lives here...he's innocent until proven guilty but because he puts himself in situations that create a buzz, he's become pretty high maintenance.  A big distraction who doesn't do enough to warrant keeping him.  If this IS proven true, it explains everything for me.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Something was clearly up when that tweet was out and then he wasn't at the morning skate.  It is fair game to discuss now that there has been something official, vs.  some random person copying and pasting an unattributed post.

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-place-jake-virtanen-on-leave-after-sexual-misconduct-allegation-1.1632712

Regardless of the veracity of this particular claim, the guy has been nothing but a dummy pretty much right from the start.  He gets the benefit of due process, but the accuser also gets to be believed.  Bunches of first hand accounts of him partying hard and acting badly, don't earn him much benefit of the doubt. 

Now his agent is going to have to get some PR stuff going for damager control and maybe put him in rehab or something.

Welcome to playing in Europe Jake!  The KHL is much more your speed.

Shame on Benning for qualifying this guy and letting other high character guys like Stecher go.  That line about wanting high character guys who love to play the game... it is only convenient when they want to justify overpaying someone.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Whenever someone uses "pace" it is an excuse for "not really that number"...that is someone trying to massage the data to make it look like something other than it is.  He doesn't get paid per 82 games, he gets paid for whole seasons.

You also neglect to note his points total... he gets virtually no assists.

His goals are 10, 15, 18, and 5 over the past 4 seasons... not a perennial 18 goal scorer

His points are 20, 25. 36, 5 over the past 4 seasons.

That is despite getting plenty of looks in the top 6 and PP time.  He isn't good at producing points... and that is his best attribute.

How the goals are distributed is immensely important as you can predict repeatability.  If Jeff Cowan gets 10 goals in 10 games... he isn't an 80 goal scorer.

Jake has 22 points since the start of last February. in 72 games played.

Of course pace matters-provided you are working with a relevant sample size. Do you think Eichel is a 2 goal scorer? Ugh, there is so much wrong here that I can't be bothered to address it all.

Edited by BlastPast
  • Cheers 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:23 PM, Warhippy said:

@Law of Goalies your smarmy one liners and ridiculous attitude about the situation are charming but infantile.  Jake has worn his welcome out and his on ice attitude and effort show that.  You don't have to believe a single jot of what people say about the guy, I could care less.  But at this point in time he's dead weight and all the power to him finding himself somewhere else.  He's played himself off the roster under his own merit this year

Gonna have to take Law of Goalies off my ignore list for a while.  Can't wait to see what sort of rhetoric he writes about Virtanen. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Of course pace matters-provided you are working with a relevant sample size. Do you think Eichel is a 2 goal scorer? Ugh, there is so much wrong here that I can't be bothered to address it all.

Two goals in 21 games translates to almost eight per season. Of course pace matters. Eichel's pace shows him to be an 8 goal scorer, or $1.25 million per goal based on this year's cap hit. Am I doing this right? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Two goals in 21 games translates to almost eight per season. Of course pace matters. Eichel's pace shows him to be an 8 goal scorer, or $1.25 million per goal based on this year's cap hit. Am I doing this right? 

Not sure of the point you are trying to make as I wasn't talking about value for money. My point is that it is reasonable to make some extrapolations based on a fairly relevant chunk of data but imprudent to do so off a much smaller sample, and that you can't just hand-wave away anything that doesn't fit your chosen conclusion. For example, no none would suggest that Eichel is an 8 goal scorer if they were aware of his activities in previous seasons.