The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

16 minutes ago, J-P said:

Kempe is a good player but not good enough to tip the scale in a discussion like this.

I personally believe nobody will even consider trading EP + OJ for Ehlers + Tkatchuk in a few years, when it matters, but time will tell.

Kempe just has to be better than McCann for the comparison.

It would be EP and OJ for Ehlers, Tkachuk, AND Glass as the “trade”.  I think Petterson is likely the best player of the bunch at their respective peaks... but then Glass should be progressing to a 2nd line centre as he develops... so that is likely 3 top 6 players for one top 6 player and Juolevi who is probably a 4th-6th defenceman IF things work out for him.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Kempe just has to be better than McCann for the comparison.

It would be EP and OJ for Ehlers, Tkachuk, AND Glass as the “trade”.  I think Petterson is likely the best player of the bunch at their respective peaks... but then Glass should be progressing to a 2nd line centre as he develops... so that is likely 3 top 6 players for one top 6 player and Juolevi who is probably a 4th-6th defenceman IF things work out for him.

Not disagreeing regarding draft ranking but drafting is one thing and evaluating developed players trade value another .

I think if EP hits his ceiling he's in a different tier. I still hope OJ will be a second pairing D that can both shutdown players and make crisp breakout passes. Also OJ and EP have a history of raising their level in championship games, might be too early to tell regarding Ehlers and MT but I don't have that feeling regarding them.

Kempe and Glass are fine players but again, when evaluating trade value they are depth only compared to the other players.

• Cheers 1

I don't think I'd do EP for Tkachuk & Ehlers. (That's the crux of it). EP is a legit first line center, looking like a franchise player (if he isn't already). Even if it works out with a 2nd line C in Glass, your still without a true 1C.

Its interesting how the Jake pick stands out compared to the 1st rounders since. As others have said; determination, character & leadership have clearly been targeted, along with talent: Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Podkolzin, all guys who are highly regarded in those areas. You don't question the commitment of any of them. 

Watching Ehlers play in the playoffs, its too bad we didn't go elsewhere in '14 - I always thought he had the potential to be a 'driver' for a team - but Jake isn't the only disappointment from that class. I really liked Micheal Dal Colle alot at the time, & he's been even worse than Jake. 

I'm almost more disappointed we didn't trade him a few years back - when he still had high of value - rather than the pick itself. But it is what it is. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a player have to be 26 or older to get bought out ? Hopefully Jake Gets his life in order on and off the ice. I know nothing about his circumstance other than what I have read on here .  Hockey wise if he knew this was happening could that not  account for the seemingly backwards progression in his play ? I thought he was finally starting to show his potential the season before last . 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

When does the buyout window open, so we can finally be rid of this guy.  

Virtanen, Roussel, Eriksson and Holtby.  All four needs to be bought out. 

Combined dead cap space of $6.3M for 2021-22 (and add in Luongo's $3.1M for a total of $9.4M dead cap space), and $3.64M dead cap for 2022-23.  Gives the Canucks plenty of cash to sign Pettersson and Hughes to 3 x $7.0M bridge deal; Hamonic at 3 x 3.0M; cheapie back up goalie (big save Dave Rittich; offer Sutter a $1.5M contract.

Leaves nearly $7.0M to sign a top six forward and third line forward.

13 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Craig Button actually had JV rated in the second round

Yeah, I agree, maybe late 1st at most. Was not a fan of his in his draft year. He basically bullied smaller players, or less physically gifted guys at least. I was thinking to myself watching him play " hes not gonna be able to do that in the NHL", I can see the lure of potential because his size and speed but I also believe that hes a BC boy played a pretty big factor as well. I really hoped we were gonna pick Ehlers who was absolutely electric in junior. I think I heard somewhere that Jim was eyeing Virtanen or Dal Colle, give him credit, at least we got the better player. Dal Colle sucks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah, I agree, maybe late 1st at most. Was not a fan of his in his draft year. He basically bullied smaller players, or less physically gifted guys at least. I was thinking to myself watching him play " hes not gonna be able to do that in the NHL", I can see the lure of potential because his size and speed but I also believe that hes a BC boy played a pretty big factor as well. I really hoped we were gonna pick Ehlers who was absolutely electric in junior. I think I heard somewhere that Jim was eyeing Virtanen or Dal Colle, give him credit, at least we got the better player. Dal Colle sucks

I wonder if the Islander fans go on and on about Dal Colle like Nuck fans do with Jake.

As far as I'm concerned, Jake is done with our team; his contract will likely be bought out and forgotten.  Nuck fans should think of Demko as the 1st round pick in 2014.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I wonder if the Islander fans go on and on about Dal Colle like Nuck fans do with Jake.

As far as I'm concerned, Jake is done with our team; his contract will likely be bought out and forgotten.  Nuck fans should think of Demko as the 1st round pick in 2014.

Islander fans see the game as a source of entertainment, Canucks fans hockey is a way of life

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Nurnge said:

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a player have to be 26 or older to get bought out ? Hopefully Jake Gets his life in order on and off the ice. I know nothing about his circumstance other than what I have read on here .  Hockey wise if he knew this was happening could that not  account for the seemingly backwards progression in his play ? I thought he was finally starting to show his potential the season before last . 

Nope... under 26 they get bought out for only 1/3rd so it is insanely cheap.  About a $50k cap hit to us this year if we buy him out and about $500k next year.

It is really the only option unless the league lets us off the hook with terminating him.  Any court/civil case is going to be a long time, so we would miss the buyout window hoping for a chance at terminating him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nope... under 26 they get bought out for only 1/3rd so it is insanely cheap.  About a $50k cap hit to us this year if we buy him out and about $500k next year.

It is really the only option unless the league lets us off the hook with terminating him.  Any court/civil case is going to be a long time, so we would miss the buyout window hoping for a chance at terminating him.

I wonder if there's any CBA rules regarding a suspended player not counting against cap for things like this... Anybody know?

Just now, aGENT said:

I wonder if there's any CBA rules regarding a suspended player not counting against cap for things like this... Anybody know?

Is Jake suspended though?  I think he’s more on a leave.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Is Jake suspended though?  I think he’s more on a leave.  

Pretty sure the team suspended him while under investigation.

Seem to recall the Jets doing something similar with Byfuglien and suspending him cleared his cap off the roster. Maybe we don't need to buy Jake out at all (at least while legal proceedings are occurring).

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...