Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

On D but season done.      BTW, this guy needs to be on the LEFT side in NHL.

 

It was interesting that the announcer said that Jake has been playing exceptionally well for the last month.  Encouraging to here.  And I totally agree that he belongs on the left side.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

He's not going to shock me.  He's 30 pounds lighter, and finally (likely the first time for him) in proper shape.  He's going to look super fast!  

super fast. but is he going to produce is what most fans here on these boards are wondering, and whether he's going to live up to his 6th overall pedigree. 

Unlike some fans on these boards, I'm willing to wait and be patient and see what we have in the kid. I wouldn't personally call him a bust just yet, but if he doesn't show up his game, then yes, he will be labeled as such sooner rather than later. If he's 25-26 years old, and still hasn't made the team, and hasn't produced in the AHL either, then yes, at that time, I think it'd be fair game to say he's not going to amount to much. But as for right now, and today, I think management believes they have a player, and I think Jake can still become an offensive player, with physicality to his game. He is still, after all, 20/21 years old. He's got some time left. He just needs to make the most out of the time he's got. 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, dpn1 said:

It seems according to Trevor, Jim and Travis, he has improved.  I thought that this was common knowledge.  All communications from the Canucks have been positive.  I think the Canucks are a lot higher on him than a lot of people on this list. :) I am choosing to believe that a kid with that much talent will be a good middle 6 forward (hopefully on left wing :)).  Now I don't know if he is going to make the team this year right a way but I am hoping he shows up and takes a spot.  He will shock everyone B).

The expectations on Jake are so low, if he plays even decently well come training camp, most people may changed their perception of him. I think he can certainly challenge for a spot. Not sure if he'll grab a spot from a veteran player. He's going to have to come in super intense, and working super hard to steal a spot from a veteran player. He can also be sent down to the AHL without being sent through waivers, so that's also gotta be on management's mind as they decide who to keep, and who to demote, or let go. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

The expectations on Jake are so low, if he plays even decently well come training camp, most people may changed their perception of him. I think he can certainly challenge for a spot. Not sure if he'll grab a spot from a veteran player. He's going to have to come in super intense, and working super hard to steal a spot from a veteran player. He can also be sent down to the AHL without being sent through waivers, so that's also gotta be on management's mind as they decide who to keep, and who to demote, or let go. 

While I agree, it still makes no sense.   From the 2014 first round picks, Jake Virtanen, he has played the 12th most NHL games, scored the 14th most NHL goals and has the 8th most PIM (Mr. Burke's truculence meter).   All those are in the upper half of the first round and given his type of player (power forward) typically develops more slowly, the fact he is still in the upper half of the first round picks in those key categories IN SPITE OF not playing a single NHL game last year certainly speaks to how odd it is that expectations are that low (at least in my mind).   If he is in the shape people say he is in and continues his strong 200 foot game Green seemed happy about in Utica, this is a real player with great upside that will likely pass a few in terms of his first round cohorts over the coming seasons.   

 

Oh, and for those relentlessly slamming him being picked at number 6, the combined number of NHL games for picks 5 and 7 is zero.   Sure some later picks have done better but his totals are far from "zero" which is the "bust" category not where he is at.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure are a lot of Negative Nellis in this thread.

Please start another thread like "Hating on Jake" or something and take it over there.

Your fake "realism" and "facts" are extremely tiring.

You didn't, you don't, and you won't know more than anyone else, so quit pretending.

 

One thing about Jake that I think needs to be reconsidered or at least not stressed so much is this "power forward" thing.

Jake isn't going to scare anyone.

He doesn't seem to be a fighter.

He's not that big; Getslaf and Carter are the new standard for big power forwards.

There are a lot of NHL players that are bigger and scarier than Virtanen.

I don't think we should hold him to this standard as it holds him back from giving all that he can give.

 

Get those shoulders healthy so he can resume his clean hard-hitting without taking penalties or losing his cool.

Threaten to shoot or score with that great speed instead of just racing down and wondering what to do now.

Quit pretending you're some tough guy and make the other team take penalties on you with your speed and drive to the net.

You know, when Neely started popping 50+/year, Boston didn't want him fighting or taking penalties anymore anyway, he was too valuable.

And Jake's not going to be Cam Neely anyway; not at 20, 25, or 28.

But he could be Jake Virtanen, a good-sized Vancouver kid that burns up the ice every shift and threatens mayhem in front of the net, in the corners, and along the boards.

 

And Jake could be at least as good as Torres, and he could learn to change the tone of a game.

He's gotta get his nose busted trying to drive the play, not finding out there a lot of players tougher than him.

He could probably learn a thing or two from trying to play like Geoff Courtnall, fast, gritty, and effective.

And Geoff put up a goal or two for us.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

While I agree, it still makes no sense.   From the 2014 first round picks, Jake Virtanen, he has played the 12th most NHL games, scored the 14th most NHL goals and has the 8th most PIM (Mr. Burke's truculence meter).   All those are in the upper half of the first round and given his type of player (power forward) typically develops more slowly, the fact he is still in the upper half of the first round picks in those key categories IN SPITE OF not playing a single NHL game last year certainly speaks to how odd it is that expectations are that low (at least in my mind).   If he is in the shape people say he is in and continues his strong 200 foot game Green seemed happy about in Utica, this is a real player with great upside that will likely pass a few in terms of his first round cohorts over the coming seasons.   

 

Oh, and for those relentlessly slamming him being picked at number 6, the combined number of NHL games for picks 5 and 7 is zero.   Sure some later picks have done better but his totals are far from "zero" which is the "bust" category not where he is at.   

Yeah. I get what you're saying. But that might speak more to the draft class, than it does Virtanen. We'll see. I'm rooting for him, and I hope that he does well. From all accounts, he seems to have been motivated and driven to take his off-season seriously. I think he'll do well, but I'm not sure if he'll do well enough to stick or at the very least start with the team. Another year in the AHL would do him wonders, get him playing in all situations, for him to be asked to be an offensive leader on the team. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2017 at 6:06 PM, dpn1 said:

It seems according to Trevor, Jim and Travis, he has improved.  I thought that this was common knowledge.  All communications from the Canucks have been positive.  I think the Canucks are a lot higher on him than a lot of people on this list. :) I am choosing to believe that a kid with that much talent will be a good middle 6 forward (hopefully on left wing :)).  Now I don't know if he is going to make the team this year right a way but I am hoping he shows up and takes a spot.  He will shock everyone B).

Believe me, with the people who have illogically seemed to all but write Virtanen off on this forum along with whining about him being a 6th overall pick, I've given up on what should be common knowledge. lol

 

Some people just don't seem to get that he's still a 20 year old developing prospect. Yet, somehow, some people don't want to treat him as such.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2017 at 10:31 AM, J.R. said:

Agreed. Hopefully we can add Kane to that mix next summer as well. 

 

Kane, Virtanen and Gadjovich sprinkled throughout the lineup and I doubt we'll have too many people complaining about a 'soft' lineup ;)

Sorry. With all of Kane's baggage, pass. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dpn1 said:

It was interesting that the announcer said that Jake has been playing exceptionally well for the last month.  Encouraging to here.  And I totally agree that he belongs on the left side.

yep. why not play to his strengths? 

 

think Green knows, and he will try to put Virtanen in a position to succeed. the left side does seem like a stronger side for Jake. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -SN- locked this topic
On 7/19/2017 at 9:26 AM, dpn1 said:

I think because we are so small up front that Virtanen has to make the team.  We have so many little guys with barely any protection.  Its like that  draft video said about a safe work  enviroment (hope my spelling is correct:)).  He is going to have to be pretty bad not to make it.  We just need to be bigger and faster.

4

I am pretty sure that was part of the logic last year. But once the season started, he did not pan out, have the grunt, the effort we needed. Nor the results with the puck.

 

So he was sent down to improve. 

 

And learn the lesson he was not being gifted a spot because he had NHL size and athleticism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2017 at 8:18 AM, J.R. said:

g1366824328707416474.jpg

Now if Kane had that kind of mentality and sacrifice Gandalf has that would be great...

 

... too bad he doesn't seem to have any of that. :(

 

He's literally the one guy in the league I hope we don't sign personally. I'd rather have John Scott even. lol

Edited by The Lock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...