The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 8/6/2017 at 8:18 AM, J.R. said:

g1366824328707416474.jpg

Now if Kane had that kind of mentality and sacrifice Gandalf has that would be great...

... too bad he doesn't seem to have any of that. :(

He's literally the one guy in the league I hope we don't sign personally. I'd rather have John Scott even. lol

Edited by The Lock

21 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I am pretty sure that was part of the logic last year. But once the season started, he did not pan out, have the grunt, the effort we needed. Nor the results with the puck.

So he was sent down to improve. 

And learn the lesson he was not being gifted a spot because he had NHL size and athleticism. 

Do you think he has learned what they wanted him to learn?  I am hoping that with having matured puts him in the right frame of mind and with a coach that seems to be able to get through to Jake, he will surprise us with a great camp and a fresh start to the season with the Canucks. :) I think a strong, good conditioned Jake in the right head space is good news for the Canucks.  Thanks for the comments and insight.

Edited by dpn1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Now if Kane had that kind of mentality and sacrifice Gandalf has that would be great...

... too bad he doesn't seem to have any of that. :(

He's literally the one guy in the league I hope we don't sign personally. I'd rather have John Scott even. lol

He works quite hard on the ice, he has that grinder quality to his game. His issues mostly stem from when he is off the ice. I don't want him though, not a fan of paying big money to another UFA, especially one with baggage like Kane.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Toews said:

He works quite hard on the ice, he has that grinder quality to his game. His issues mostly stem from when he is off the ice. I don't want him though, not a fan of paying big money to another UFA, especially one with baggage like Kane.

Agreed pretty much. I just want to clarify that what I meant earlier by "mentality and sacrifice" are things that should also stem to off the ice. It's a team sport in the end and off the ice can be just as a factor as on the ice.

What would really be nice is if Virtanen took that role, competently I might add. That's what was sort of expected of him to begin with. That's ultimately up to Virtanen in the end though

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Do you think he has learned what they wanted him to learn?  I am hoping that with having matured puts him in the right frame of mind and with a coach that seems to be able to get through to Jake, he will surprise us with a great camp and a fresh start to the season with the Canucks. :) I think a strong, good conditioned Jake in the right head space is good news for the Canucks.  Thanks for the comments and insight.

I know this post isn't directed at me but I will give my 2 cents. IMO unless something drastically changes in this offseason, the best case scenario for Jake is that he makes the team as a 4th liner. You could probably teach him to PK to get him more ice time. Assuming Green rolls all 4 lines then you could see him get around 12-14 minutes of ice time. I just think this scenario has a good chance of stunting his offensive growth and about the best we can hope for is for him to turn into a player like Tom Wilson.

In Utica he will have a much better team surrounding him than he did last year. He will get a ton of ice time and he can try and get some confidence back in his offensive game. He will have the opportunity to make mistakes and take more risks. His play in the NHL at the start of the year last season was really tentative and I saw a player that was trying very hard to play a safe game in order to not get benched. I just want to see him try and get some swagger back before he gets thrust into the NHL. This is the reason why I would prefer he start the year in Utica and get a call up when he has regained the confidence that he once had.

15 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Hard to tell before training camp.  No news, hopefully will be good news.  

Last summer there were lots of Jake "sightings'' during the summer.  Most noticed how much extra weight he was carrying.  And was offset by media reports quoting him as ''having reached all his training milestones?'' And an equal number of off hand remarks by vets about ''some'' rookies not taking it seriously.

At training camp if he blows away the VO2 max scores? And starts up ice like a heat seeking missile, to hunt down D with the puck. Starts hurting people. Starts crashing the net. Starts behaving like someone who is going to take a job, and nobody can do anything about it?

Then we'll know...

(He does have that capacity!)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Agreed pretty much. I just want to clarify that what I meant earlier by "mentality and sacrifice" are things that should also stem to off the ice. It's a team sport in the end and off the ice can be just as a factor as on the ice.

100%

patrick-kane-limo-photo-4.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

100%

patrick-kane-limo-photo-4.jpg

Here's the thing: Partying does not translate to locker room issues. Fights in the locker room however.....

Now the other things Patrick Kane has done outside of partying (like the taxi incident etc), that might be a little more borderline, but it's still not really to do with the locker room...

Btw, what is up with the name "Kane" and having issues outside of the game, locker room and otherwise?...

EDIT: Also, if a hockey player isn't allowed to party now and then and like... have a life....

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Here's the thing: Partying does not translate to locker room issues. Fights in the locker room however.....

Now the other things Patrick Kane has done outside of partying (like the taxi incident etc), that might be a little more borderline, but it's still not really to do with the locker room...

Btw, what is up with the name "Kane" and having issues outside of the game, locker room and otherwise?...

EDIT: Also, if a hockey player isn't allowed to party now and then and like... have a life....

I think bad stuff associated with that name goes waaaayyyy back.  Didn't the first "Kane" slew his brother? B)  

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

the difference between Jake partying and Kane partying is that Kane still had his crap together and still went out and busted his arse off, watched video, and found ways to improve his game, whereas Jake..........

Kane didn't get 30 pounds overweight.  God imagine Kane trying to play at 200 pounds.  He would get killed!  That's why I'm hopeful for Jake.  He's 30 pound lighter, which will make a HUGE difference in his game.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Toews said:

The other Kane has baggage too, would you want him on the Canucks?

28 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

The other Kane has baggage too, would you want him on the Canucks?

You're comparing Apple's to wrenches here. Yes while both have issues off the ice on evanders best season (non lockout) is 57 pts while Patrick's worst is 64 pts...

I can handle some off ice issues when you're putting up ppg.  I can't when you only score 40pts. 

Edited by 73 Percent

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Kane didn't get 30 pounds overweight.  God imagine Kane trying to play at 200 pounds.  He would get killed!  That's why I'm hopeful for Jake.  He's 30 pound lighter, which will make a HUGE difference in his game.  

Only if the 30lbs has shifted up to his brain. :lol:

Seriously though I hope you are right otherwise he will start to see other young guys going past him.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

the difference between Jake partying and Kane partying is that Kane still had his crap together and still went out and busted his arse off, watched video, and found ways to improve his game, whereas Jake..........

I am not sure how one could know about having his "crap together breaking his a$$, watching video etc, etc.  I suppose one could assume Kane is all that you say but to talk as though you actually know him personally doesn't seem right:).  Also, Jake hasn't been in as much trouble as Kane.  Kane has pulled some pretty stupid stuff.  The one that jumps out to me is "Taxigate."  Wasn't there an assault charge filed by a girlfriend or something (I am not sure if I am right on the assault charge but there have been other issues as well)?  From what the Prez, GM and the coach say Jake has matured and is continuing to improve.  It seems that most of the stuff that people complain about in reference to Jake are the things he did a year ago or even beyond a year ago.  His being called out with some of the other young guys for not working hard enough, coming into camp 25 pounds overweight and having a bad start to his second year as a pro.  The fact is that Jake screwed up but when down in Utica coach Green was able to help Jake lose the weight and to start putting his game back together.  I think we need to give Jake some credit for working hard and hopefully putting it together so he can steal a spot in the Canucks season opener. :)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Only if the 30lbs has shifted up to his brain. :lol:

Seriously though I hope you are right otherwise he will start to see other young guys going past him.

Totally agree.  A guy like Gadjovic might in a couple years.  

• Upvote 1