The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

No way. I would rather have Gado and Jake. They could make a good tag team pummelling Marchand's nose down to "Size Big"

God, if they both turn out as NHL regulars, that's a mean pair for sure.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

the difference between Jake partying and Kane partying is that Kane still had his crap together and still went out and busted his arse off, watched video, and found ways to improve his game, whereas Jake..........

I wasn't comparing the two of them but as you are I will comment - I agree with you.    I also believe, however, that Jake will surprise a lot of people (perhaps yourself included) with how he comes to camp this year.   

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You're comparing Apple's to wrenches here. Yes while both have issues off the ice on evanders best season (non lockout) is 57 pts while Patrick's worst is 64 pts...

I can handle some off ice issues when you're putting up ppg.  I can't when you only score 40pts. 

I think the Chicago Black Hawks agrees with you, keeping him instead of trading him. Lesser lights will be sent packing.  

A famous, popular athletes and their teams can find a way (lawyers, connections) to make the problem go away, fans will still support them.  Meanwhile, Joe citizen will get the jail time or community service.  

Virtanen is by no means a lock to make the starting line up with the Canucks this season, but if he has done all we hope he has this summer he's got a solid chance of doing it.  He's got a number of things that are holding back other players like Goldobin lack - size, grit, the ability to play bottom six and work his way up the roster and he's pretty responsible defensively.  So far we haven't seen a big scoring touch at the pro level, but for all that everyone moans about us losing Kassian, he only had 24 points in 79 games last season (his best season was with the Canucks - 29 points in 73 games.)  Kassian did have one ppg season in the AHL, however.

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance we see Jake Virtanen start the season in the NHL.

• Upvote 2

In my mind there is no way that Virt starts in the NHL unless he totally lights up the preseason with goals and hits. Viet needs to work on his offensive game and can do that as a top line guy in Utica.

Don't forget that next year we potentially have Daniel and Henrik retiring/traded/moving onto a new team, which means theres two spots for our young players to fill but more importantly another top 6 LW spot opening up that Virt can compete for in a year

10 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

Virtanen wasn't looking overly fit in the pictures taken at the pride parade over the weekend.  Hopefully he's hitting the gym as we speak and has cleared all the donuts out of his cupboards.

Here we go!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

Virtanen wasn't looking overly fit in the pictures taken at the pride parade over the weekend.  Hopefully he's hitting the gym as we speak and has cleared all the donuts out of his cupboards.

He looks fit in the one I saw: he's wearing a rainbow too-too.  What pictures are you referring to?

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's the one picture I am referring too, and Jake looks fine.  His face is as lean as I've ever seen it.  

We went to the Bahamas in June. Return flight back to Toronto we were on a flight with Erik Karlsson and Melinda. Mind you there body types are a bit different but Erik was not muscular at all short and scrawny compared to Jake. 

Just saying 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BillfromVan said:

We went to the Bahamas in June. Return flight back to Toronto we were on a flight with Erik Karlsson and Melinda. Mind you there body types are a bit different but Erik was not muscular at all short and scrawny compared to Jake. 

Just saying 

I think our new guy (Petersson) is built similar to Karlsson.  Jake is a thick person, with a bigger frame.  That's why he is so able to pack on weight.  His being 207 is excellent.  Just looking at his face can reveal he's dropped the 30 extra pounds from last year.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That's the one picture I am referring too, and Jake looks fine.  His face is as lean as I've ever seen it.  

He looks better than he used i'll give you that.  But he's had a season working hard in the minors and a summer of training and he looks "fine"?  That's pretty disappointing if you ask me.  Guy should be a lot more shredded than that.

Still lookin pretty soft around that mid section and pec area though for a pro athlete.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He looks better than he used i'll give you that.  But he's had a season working hard in the minors and a summer of training and he looks "fine"?  That's pretty disappointing if you ask me.  Guy should be a lot more shredded than that.

Still lookin pretty soft around that mid section and pec area though for a pro athlete.

6 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

How can you tell that?  He's got a shirt on, and a too-too.  I understand your skepticism about Jake's fitness, and weight.  He's done nothing but disappoint so far, when it comes to his professional responsibility to be at weight and fit. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How can you tell that?  He's got a shirt on, and a too-too.  I understand your skepticism about Jake's fitness, and weight.  He's done nothing but disappoint so far, when it comes to his professional responsibility to be at weight and fit. 

Which is why this training camp is an interesting one for me to observe and see whether his "demotion" to Utica last season was a wake up call or not. If his work ethic hasn't changed at all, then we probably have an issue with Jake, and the potential of being a bust is definitely higher. 

But he does look better than last season for sure. I know to some fans that's not saying much, but it is progress, and that's what is needed. Disappointing for a 6th overall pick? Sure. But as Big Bert used to say, "It is what it is". Let's see what happens with Jake as the Summer continues to wind down, and the pre-season begins to ramp up. I am sure that a lot of articles and focus will be on him in particular above and beyond all the other prospects coming to camp, and eventually main camp. 

Green has to find a way to deflect some of that attention off of young Virtanen, so that he can play his game. 

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How can I tell that?  Because I have eyes and I can see.