The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

We better hope he's not 229 pounds, because sure, he could skate like the wind at that weight... for 10 seconds before he was catching his breath for another five minutes. 

I think Jake's last posted weight was 207 from a couple weeks ago.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

I'm sure it was, I don't know where he got the idea he was 229 again. 

I'm hoping Jake can drop a few more pounds, and be a lean 200 pounds, but keep his power and strength.  He would be amazingly fast at that weight.

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

We better hope he's not 229 pounds, because sure, he could skate like the wind at that weight... for 10 seconds before he was catching his breath for another five minutes. 

Sorry man, I looked on a couple of different websites such as hockeydb & NHL.com for that info, haha, you think they would have it up to date with that right??  but you really put me in my place with that correction, I should feel bad

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

His shoulder injury isn't the type that can happen again with any more likelihood of it previously - in fact with the Bankart procedure the shoulder is stronger to that nature of damage than it was prior to injury.   It can take a while mentally to get over any injury but they way he was playing last half of last year certainly didn't seem like he gave it any thought at all.

Perfect.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm hoping Jake can drop a few more pounds, and be a lean 200 pounds, but keep his power and strength.  He would be amazingly fast at that weight.

I think that's a bit too light for his body type. His thighs are huge and he's pretty thick. Around 210 would be ideal imo. 

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

You know what also describes Virtanen in 3 words? 21 years old. 

Here's another three word description, and BY FAR most important: "Thirty Pounds Lighter".  The kid is FINALLY a proper playing weight, and fit.  No we will see what we have.  

• Upvote 2

On 8/14/2017 at 9:16 AM, Fantomex said:

Let them sleep on Jake. The kid is hungry, and that stint in Utica only added to that. With TG behind the bench, I expect Jake to have a good handle on what he'll need to do to stay in the lineup. I honestly think that Willie messed with that Jakes' head more than we know. I'm not saying he was bad for all the kids, but it's clear that he didn't communicate well with many of our youngsters, as seen by the Tryamkin exit and many of the departing interviews.

Good post.....I cannot express how relieved i am that we've seen the last of Willie behind the bench..I also believe that Willie being good with the kids has been greatly exaggerated...Some players like Bo Horvat,hardly needed any coaching at all....he was almost fully formed,physically and mentally........Its just not a case of "one size fits all",Travis Green went into detail during his presser explaining how every player is an individual case ...Some respond to a 'kick in the butt'..some players need the opposite.

Willie putting the loss against Boston at Tryamkins feet (for nor not 'taking care' of Brad Marchand) was one of the most absurdly stupid things he has said......I don't think its the reason Tryamkin left,but it clearly demonstrates how the coaching staff misjudged the 'big guy'.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Here's another three word description, and BY FAR most important: "Thirty Pounds Lighter".  The kid is FINALLY a proper playing weight, and fit.  No we will see what we have.  

Isn't it concerning that he was 30 pounds overweight to begin with though? That's not the occasional slice of cheesecake once a week.