The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, RecklessReilly said:

Love the fat shaming around here! The real shame is we don't know CDC users BMI/weight or we could have a daily user roast. Maybe it would inspire some people the way it "inspired" Jake. I bet there a hipocrit or 500 in here.

We are not, I expect, NHL hockey players.  And what in the heck is wrong with calling Jake fat, when he was 30 pounds overweight?  People posted pictures last year, and Jake looked fat, especially his face.  We are not shaming Jake; we are pointing out he was fat last camp, and he's 30 pounds lighter now.  Isn't that a good thing?  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are not, I expect, NHL hockey players.  And what in the heck is wrong with calling Jake fat, when he was 30 pounds overweight?  People posted pictures last year, and Jake looked fat, especially his face.  We are not shaming Jake; we are pointing out he was fat last camp, and he's 30 pounds lighter now.  Isn't that a good thing?  

You are so right. Its not like he's an overweight bloke in school being bullied...

Edited by spook007

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It's 18lbs.  He came into camp at 231lbs and is now 213lbs.

I think it's time to let go of the fat jokes; they're getting old and are not funny anymore.  Kid's worked tremendously hard over the past few months and deserves some credit.  Even Ted Green has been impressed with Jake's hard work.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/i-have-to-prove-that-i-belong-would-be-canuck-virtanen-turning-corner-with-comets

Last year was a hard 'slap in the face' for Jake and a learning curve was to follow.  Young and foolish happens, but I think he is paying his dues now and it sounds like he's back on track.  He finally realizes that being an NHL player is extremely hard work and oftentimes, not a lot of fun.

Wasn't his last published weight 207?  And last season wasn't he 236?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wasn't his last published weight 207?  And last season wasn't he 236?

The article was written at the end of March, so it is possible he has lost more weight since then. 

My point is...if Travis Green can acknowledge his hard work and discipline, so can we. 

Let's leave the fat jokes behind and give the kid a chance.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The article was written at the end of March, so it is possible he has lost more weight since then. 

My point is...if Travis Green can acknowledge his hard work and discipline, so can we. 

We are excited, at least I am, that Jake is finally at a proper playing weight.  We shall now see what we have in him.  I think being 30 pounds overweight effected all aspects of his game, including thinking.  

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to seeing plenty of that also Zoolander. He's obviously taking the correct information on pre-season training and putting it to good use from pics of late. I usually choose to bypass this thread altogether to avoid all the premature ejaculatory negative spewage about a 20 year old young man learning how to be a professional.Its nice to see less of that and more well wishers for Jake. Here's to Jake earning a spot out of camp and if not, in the near future Cheers

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Jokes or not, think its only few if any, who aren't behind JV... Credit were credit's due.

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Jokes or not, think its only few if any, who aren't behind JV... Credit were credit's due.

I really want to see him emerge in Utica this year. Consistency on the score sheet, better reliability in the d zone and, of course, more highlight reel hits. I'm still holding out hope that he can turn into a top six, complimentary piece.

13 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I really want to see him emerge in Utica this year. Consistency on the score sheet, better reliability in the d zone and, of course, more highlight reel hits. I'm still holding out hope that he can turn into a top six, complimentary piece.

These things can lead to crazy, circular-analysis.

Take Yak/Nuge in Edm. Fans there were prob praying they turned a development-corner, to transition them into a contender. Didn't happen..yet they wind up drafting McD(all related to performance of their aforementioned, recent high picks).

If Virt does flounder, we likely wind up with at least 1 more higher pick, than we otherwise would have landed..

Life ends up as comparing one's situation vs hypotheticals..driving many sport fans insane!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ThaShady1 said:

I've been a pretty strong supporter of Jake ever since he was drafted. A lot of people love to say they wanted Ehlers or Nylander previous to the draft. Okay? The Canucks went a different route and that's all there is to it. I understood the pick then, based off what he was talented at, and I understand the pick still. What I don't understand is the continuous bashing from certain posters calling a just turned 21 year old a wash out. Let's all be a little patient shall we?

He made huge strides towards the end of last season, and we all saw what he can be capable of towards the end of the season previously. After the dismal Juniors, he played excellently to finish the year. Clearly his problem is not taking it what it takes to be a pro seriously. It looks as though he's figuring it out. 

How many here point fingers at a kid like that and say he's too immature, and who likely weren't arrogant punks themselves at that age. He's 21 ffs. Everyone matures differently. Yes, I realize not everyone gets a shot at being a NHL pro and that they would never throw it away. Bla bla bla. These kids dominated every league they played in their entire lives. Sometimes it takes a kick in the rear to realize their potential and make the next step at the top level. 

I agree that this season is really important for him to show improvement but I still wouldn't say it's make or break time for Virtanen. If he plays a solid 2 way game in Utica and is noticible on the scoreboard and on the physical side I for one would be very happy. If he manages to make a big enough impact and makes the big club I'll be ecstatic. 

Thats just it... Its the same with OJ and EP... once the selection has been made, they are part of our club and deserves all our support.

Only time will tell what JV becomes, and unfortunately a lot doesn't have the patience... I'm not so concerned if he'll end top 6 or a strong third or forth liner, cause anywhere in the lineup you need players with his skill and power. If Jake becomes a Hansen/Torres clone, I will be delighted.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Aye it would be nice, and do expect progress on all these things...

Whether it'll be in top six or bottom six remains to be seen, but with the power he possesses there should always be a place somewhere in the line up for him. 

20 hours ago, higgyfan said:

That's mighty one sided of you Higgy.

Let's say instead. 'If Travis Green can acknowledge a player being out of condition, worthy of only an AHL 4th line place and giving him long spells on the bench, we as fans are entitled just as much to our opinion"

The fact is Green has said, done many of the same things WD did with this player and was slaughtered for it, despite WD deserving more praise for the way he had Jake playing after the WJC and latterly, nearly everyone on here now apparently admitting he should never have been in the NHL in the first place. Which by the way was down to the GM.

I'm not aiming this only at you but I and others won't be told to soft pedal on a player who we see has attitude and entitlement problems. Especially when I see how easily many of you cr-p on good pros like Sbisa, Vey, Megna, Weber, Dorsett and Hutton, not to mention WD.  Hypocrisy at it's finest.

By the way the "kid" (really? 20 years old?) got a chance, a damned good one and stunk it up. Hopefully he has learned his lesson and now appreciates the decent knowledgeable people who were trying to help him and vet players who were trying to show him how to behave like a pro hockey player. Who was he "trying to impress" when he was turning up late for practice and leaving early? Do you think that would have impressed Travis Green?

Players OF ANY AGE have to learn that trust has to be earned through hard work, consistency of performance and good pro habits and preparation. That is not an age thing, a trained monkey can be taught to do that.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 3