The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Oh I bet he sees some power play time. He is a lethal weapon off the sidewall; one-timer or wristshot.

NYR released Anthony Duclair (LW) today so that pushes Jake down the depth chart - definitely changes some things.

Duclair on the 1st unit

1st unit: Duclair - Reinhart - McDavid

2nd unit: Domi - Petan - Virtanen/MDC

Duclair on the 2nd unit

1st unit: Reinhart - McDavid - Domi

2nd unit: Duclair - Petan - Virtanen/MDC

MDC, with his almost goal-per-game pace so far, probably has the edge, but Jake still has a chance - as do Fabbri and Ritchie (although both are less likely than Jake).

If more are released, like Lazar or Horvat, there's virtually zero chance Virtanen plays on the PP barring injuries. His role on the team will also be significantly reduced on what would all of a sudden be a very deep, mature and talented team Canada (if Lazar or Horvat are released).

EDIT: nevermind Duclair is an LW (apparently played RW for the Rangers though). Even still, with him taking up a PP spot, it does decrease Jake's chances.

EDIT: TBL announced Drouin will not be released

Edited by Dasein

NYR released Anthony Duclair (LW) today so that pushes Jake down the depth chart - definitely changes some things.

Duclair on the 1st unit

1st unit: Duclair - Reinhart - McDavid

2nd unit: Domi - Petan - Virtanen/MDC

Duclair on the 2nd unit

1st unit: Reinhart - McDavid - Domi

2nd unit: Duclair - Petan - Virtanen/MDC

MDC, with his almost goal-per-game pace so far, probably has the edge, but Jake still has a chance - as do Fabbri and Ritchie (although both are less likely than Jake).

If more are released, like Lazar or Horvat, there's virtually zero chance Virtanen plays on the PP barring injuries. His role on the team will also be significantly reduced on what would all of a sudden be a very deep, mature and talented team Canada (if Lazar or Horvat are released).

EDIT: nevermind Duclair is an LW (apparently played RW for the Rangers though). Even still, with him taking up a PP spot, it does decrease Jake's chances.

EDIT: TBL announced Drouin will not be released

For what it's worth, Virtanen plays the left point on the power play in Calgary and that is where he would be most effective. So I'm not sure if it will be a forward to take his spot. Obviously in a different team structure they will have different roles, but I don't know why you'd want him anywhere else on the man advantage.

For what it's worth, Virtanen plays the left point on the power play in Calgary and that is where he would be most effective. So I'm not sure if it will be a forward to take his spot. Obviously in a different team structure they will have different roles, but I don't know why you'd want him anywhere else on the man advantage.

Yeah I highly doubt Team Canada places a forward on the blue line for any PP units.

Doubtful but if they did Jakes backward skating speed might make him ideal. Plus the lack of right shooting dmen, never know. Just can't wait to watch the tourney!

If they are okay with dressing just one RHD for the entire tournament, I'm sure they're okay with having two LHDs on the 2nd unit PP. Rarely do you see a forward on the blue line on the PP in an international tournament when one mistake could cost you a game and therefore a tournament.

If Jake is on the PP, he'll be along the halfwall where Stamkos parks himself IMO

If they are okay with dressing just one RHD for the entire tournament, I'm sure they're okay with having two LHDs on the 2nd unit PP. Rarely do you see a forward on the blue line on the PP in an international tournament when one mistake could cost you a game and therefore a tournament.

If Jake is on the PP, he'll be along the halfwall where Stamkos parks himself IMO

I believe drouin played the point last year on the 1st PP unit

I watch him play all the time. He isnt that good. Not for a 6th overall forward pick.

If he had 16 points in 15 games as a defenseman , yeah I would be pretty excited even as an over ager.

Shoulder surgery + shoulder recovery = WTH do you expect?

JV is not an overager. He turned 18 four months ago.

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 2