The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

I think this is Jake's year. From being not ready mentally his first year and not being ready physically last year, he just wasn't prepared for the season. Now that he knows what to expect, I think he is going to surprise people. I have to, thinking negative thoughts is just not worth it. 

Playing in the AHL last year was the best thing that could have happened to him.

He knows EXACTLY what Green wants from him. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll make the roster this season.

I really don't see him as far off as others do. He's very much on track and there's still lots of time.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Derp... said:

Recovers from a bump, Anyone know how much this is? 45+45+22+10 on each side even close? I don't lift, so just guessing lol

Hard to tell, I'd say you're close to being right.

225+ for someone weighing close to that is decent for 3 reps IMO. Especially on a decline bench.

Looks like he's trying to get stronger. That's good.

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

225+ for someone weighing close to that is decent for 3 reps IMO. Especially on a decline bench.

His arms are stronger than my legs for sure lol

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Playing in the AHL last year was the best thing that could have happened to him.

He knows EXACTLY what Green wants from him. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll make the roster this season.

I really don't see him as far off as others do. He's very much on track and there's still lots of time.

Agreed, my guess is he uses most of this season to hone his game and develop his offence and then he should be ready to fill in for injuries/trades. Though he does have a lot of competition for only a few spots

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Doesn't the bar weigh 35 or 45 pounds too?  It looks like at least 260 pounds, which he handles very easily.  When the weight wobbles a bit, he easily stabilized it.  That's strength.  Way to go Jake!  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Tystick said:

He's probably doing around 275 in the clip (45+45+20+5) on each side plus the bar. Decline actually makes it a bit easier to push the weight, less strain on the shoulders and all. But it is hard to stabilize which is why he almost drops the bar and his feet are all over the place. 

Still really encouraging that that he his lifting that much weight. Guys spend years training just to hit 225x1 rep. Hopefully this translates to him pushing guys around on the ice

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Derp... said:

Recovers from a bump, Anyone know how much this is? 45+45+22+10 on each side even close? I don't lift, so just guessing lol

That would be 240ish + the bar

Tough to say because some sets of bumper plates (which those appear to be) will have similar thickness to each plate despite being different weights. 

On 2017-08-23 at 8:38 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Put it this way - pretty clear his shoulder isn't an issue at all mentally for him as no way any one does their body-weight plus on a decline if they don't trust their labrum.

Your analysis of Jake is getting more and more superior 

5 minutes ago, Ichiban604 said:

Your analysis of Jake is getting more and more superior 

?  Superior to what?   Not sure I understand.   I know shoulders and shoulder injuries pretty well and know how hard overcoming the mental part can be - and this would to me like a guy not thinking about his shoulder.   Is that a "superior" analysis?   

47 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

?  Superior to what?   Not sure I understand.   I know shoulders and shoulder injuries pretty well and know how hard overcoming the mental part can be - and this would to me like a guy not thinking about his shoulder.   Is that a "superior" analysis?   

Of course! You devote so much time on this thread. You know better then anyone!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Ichiban604 said:

Of course! You devote so much time on this thread. You know better then anyone!

???  Time to the thread?   Uh, OK.   I respond to people who make responses to what I post.    I doubt I spend any more time on this thread than any other but I will keep track of it if you like.     Oh, and I think I do know my own posting better than anyone - don't you know your better than anyone else too?   

I know you are using English words but it is like when I was learning German, the words together all mean something on their own but they way you have them organized has it difficult for me to understand what point you are trying to make.   

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

???  Time to the thread?   Uh, OK.   I respond to people who make responses to what I post.    I doubt I spend any more time on this thread than any other but I will keep track of it if you like.     Oh, and I think I do know my own posting better than anyone - don't you know your better than anyone else too?   

I know you are using English words but it is like when I was learning German, the words together all mean something on their own but they way you have them organized has it difficult for me to understand what point you are trying to make.   

Lol I think you are taking things to serious and personal. Enjoy the sunny day!

• Upvote 1