The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Not a big fan of Gauthier, but doubt he keeps that role as Dickinson will drop as McDavid cuts in, and perhaps theres also an addition of Lazar or Horvat.

Virt and Ritchie running amok on NA ice should be fun to watch.

i too think there are better options for a bottom 6 center than gauthier

Ok what I should have said is it will help with the bitching by the Nylander and Ehlers lovers who come into this thread.

are you doubting Virtanens performance iny WJC, cause I think your scared of Ehlers and Nylander having a much better performance than Big Virt( size,Speed, and all that western conference s***)

are you doubting Virtanens performance iny WJC, cause I think your scared of Ehlers and Nylander having a much better performance than Big Virt( size,Speed, and all that western conference s***)

He obviously was responding to the poster who said a 6 game tourny won't determine who the better player is, playing in the NHL will.

Do you struggle this much with reading comprehension in your everyday life or do you save it just for these threads so you can jump in with what you think is a really good dig at someone?

• Upvote 3

He obviously was responding to the poster who said a 6 game tourny won't determine who the better player is, playing in the NHL will.

Do you struggle this much with reading comprehension in your everyday life or do you save it just for these threads so you can jump in with what you think is a really good dig at someone?

This.

i guess you never watched perry in junior... :picard:

virtanen is faster, but otherwise its a bit ridiculous to say his ceiling is way higher than a hart trophy winner.

No, it isn't, and I did watch Perry play Jr.

Again, couple Jake with a Getzlaf and he goes behind Perry. Many believe Corey didn't deserve that Hart but that's another story.

It's okay for you to disagree, but Perry was taken 28th overall... Seems like JB agrees with me and I hope he is right.

Edited by Brick Tamland

I was hoping Nylander and Ehlers stuff could be put to bed in a Virtanen thread, but I guess there will always be trolls around. (There are other picks in the draft, but for some reason these two always come up. Why? Not sure. They're not all that great.)

I've watched all three players extensively this season. Ehlers is fast and skilled, but is under 170lbs and I don't think he'll top out above 180lbs. That's too small for the NHL. He's putting up numbers, but if you look at how easy the points are coming about, then you'll start to get a bit less excited about the numbers. Basically, the Q is easily the weakest major junior league in Canada. Meaning physically the weakest. (Why do you think 160lb Ehlers elected to go there in the first place?) I think he has a place in the NHL as perhaps a sheltered winger who needs to avoid contact at all costs, but his floor is outright bust. Scared? No.

Nylander is also fast and skilled, but is also on the small side. Not as small as Ehlers, but his prime age ceiling is 190lbs. In the SHL he is proving to be very fast and got everyone in Toronto excited as he went on an unsustainable 1.6ppg start or something. Since then he's fallen back down to earth, gone a bit cold, and is now barely hanging onto a ppg pace. That's still good for an 18yr old in a so-called man's league, but again, looking at how easy the points are coming about, you'll start to get a bit less excited. First off, the SHL is not that good a league. It's full of lightweights, weaklings, castoffs, NHL busts, underskilled, slowass bums and features a 42yr old Donald Brashear as the only toughness factor league-wide. Put these players on wide ice and you have a virtual no-contact league designed for one-dimensional 18yr old kids to strut their stuff. I don't see this time in the SHL being anything but a showcase for how skilled he is, and I guess he's kinda coming through with some points, but not enough to get all that excited about. I think he has a place in the NHL for sure, but he's not the next Backstrom, who could at least play some sort of defense. He's more like his father, actually, who ended up being a physically weak one-dimensional winger/center playmaker and playoff ghost himself. He has that kind of ceiling. The floor is Cody Hodgson's current season. Scared? No.

Virtanen is playing in more a man's league than either other player. The WHL is rock-solid and home of multiple successful NHL all-star power forwards and big and strong all-star two-way defensemen. This league is plainly more difficult to score in, esp. 5-on-5, and Virtanen led that leage in 5-on-5 goals last season, including several highlight-reel goals featuring his elite speed and shot. I'm not sure how some people are saying that he's unskilled when he actually has loads of it, but those people may have an agenda. He's already a man, so there will be no size-related bust potential with him. He plays defensively better and is way more a physical factor than either of the two other one-dimensional players. He scores NHL-type goals, not euro or Q-type. His playmaking this season puts to bed the 'he has no hockey iq' argument. His ceiling is basically far more certain due to these advantages, and he's only an outright bust if he gets severely injured, which is actually more possible for smaller players. His realistic floor is still the NHL instead of total bust. If anyone should be scared, it's Ehlers or Nylander if they ever play against Virtanen. Virtanen is a total prick on the ice and can crush players with his speed/size combination. This is the type of player that wins in the NHL. This is a legit top notch bluechip scoring prospect, with all-star potential, and I say it's about goddamn time we had one.

People going on and on about either Ehlers or Nylander being The Future of the Canucks were strange. They are not franchise players. Not by a longshot. Not with the minimal size, overrated, non-elite talent, and high bust potentials they have. Not saying Virtanen is, but any warm-blooded NHL gm or coach is going to take Virtanen over the other two in a freaking heartbeat.

• Upvote 3

I watch him play all the time. He isnt that good. Not for a 6th overall forward pick.

If he had 16 points in 15 games as a defenseman , yeah I would be pretty excited even as an over ager.

Another poster that looks at a stat line and thinks they know everything about a player.

If you believe he "isn't that good", care to tell us what isn't good about him?

I was hoping Nylander and Ehlers stuff could be put to bed in a Virtanen thread, but I guess there will always be trolls around. (There are other picks in the draft, but for some reason these two always come up. Why? Not sure. They're not all that great.)

I've watched all three players extensively this season. Ehlers is fast and skilled, but is under 170lbs and I don't think he'll top out above 180lbs. That's too small for the NHL. He's putting up numbers, but if you look at how easy the points are coming about, then you'll start to get a bit less excited about the numbers. Basically, the Q is easily the weakest major junior league in Canada. Meaning physically the weakest. (Why do you think 160lb Ehlers elected to go there in the first place?) I think he has a place in the NHL as perhaps a sheltered winger who needs to avoid contact at all costs, but his floor is outright bust. Scared? No.

Nylander is also fast and skilled, but is also on the small side. Not as small as Ehlers, but his prime age ceiling is 190lbs. In the SHL he is proving to be very fast and got everyone in Toronto excited as he went on an unsustainable 1.6ppg start or something. Since then he's fallen back down to earth, gone a bit cold, and is now barely hanging onto a ppg pace. That's still good for an 18yr old in a so-called man's league, but again, looking at how easy the points are coming about, you'll start to get a bit less excited. First off, the SHL is not that good a league. It's full of lightweights, weaklings, castoffs, NHL busts, underskilled, slowass bums and features a 42yr old Donald Brashear as the only toughness factor league-wide. Put these players on wide ice and you have a virtual no-contact league designed for one-dimensional 18yr old kids to strut their stuff. I don't see this time in the SHL being anything but a showcase for how skilled he is, and I guess he's kinda coming through with some points, but not enough to get all that excited about. I think he has a place in the NHL for sure, but he's not the next Backstrom, who could at least play some sort of defense. He's more like his father, actually, who ended up being a physically weak one-dimensional winger/center playmaker and playoff ghost himself. He has that kind of ceiling. The floor is Cody Hodgson's current season. Scared? No.

Virtanen is playing in more a man's league than either other player. The WHL is rock-solid and home of multiple successful NHL all-star power forwards and big and strong all-star two-way defensemen. This league is plainly more difficult to score in, esp. 5-on-5, and Virtanen led that leage in 5-on-5 goals last season, including several highlight-reel goals featuring his elite speed and shot. I'm not sure how some people are saying that he's unskilled when he actually has loads of it, but those people may have an agenda. He's already a man, so there will be no size-related bust potential with him. He plays defensively better and is way more a physical factor than either of the two other one-dimensional players. He scores NHL-type goals, not euro or Q-type. His playmaking this season puts to bed the 'he has no hockey iq' argument. His ceiling is basically far more certain due to these advantages, and he's only an outright bust if he gets severely injured, which is actually more possible for smaller players. His realistic floor is still the NHL instead of total bust. If anyone should be scared, it's Ehlers or Nylander if they ever play against Virtanen. Virtanen is a total prick on the ice and can crush players with his speed/size combination. This is the type of player that wins in the NHL. This is a legit top notch bluechip scoring prospect, with all-star potential, and I say it's about goddamn time we had one.

People going on and on about either Ehlers or Nylander being The Future of the Canucks were strange. They are not franchise players. Not by a longshot. Not with the minimal size, overrated, non-elite talent, and high bust potentials they have. Not saying Virtanen is, but any warm-blooded NHL gm or coach is going to take Virtanen over the other two in a freaking heartbeat.

Imo I think Ehlers will succeed in the Nhl cause he's lightning fast and ridiculously skilled. But his floor is obviously below JVs. Nylander has bust written all over him. Virtanen will be the best of the 3. Speed, size and skill. Not to mention his crazy shot. His floor is elite 3rd liner imo. That's saying something... Edited by Jiggs50

Imo I think Ehlers will succeed in the Nhl cause he's lightning fast and ridiculously skilled. But his floor is obviously below JVs. Nylander has bust written all over him. Virtanen will be the best of the 3. Speed, size and skill. Not to mention his crazy shot. His floor is elite 3rd liner imo. That's saying something...

I think Nylander is a little bit too skilled to be labeled a bust. However, Virtanen is surely the one to have most success.

Another poster that looks at a stat line and thinks they know everything about a player.

If you believe he "isn't that good", care to tell us what isn't good about him?

I remember before the draft....ppl had JV lumped in with the Bacon Brothers simply coz he was from Abbotsford....pure scouting right there for ya folks

I think we should just back the frack off and quit over scouting him and fine combing for nit-pick flaws.

He will come around.....leave him be

Edited by missioncanucksfan

you struggle with reading comprehension this much in your everyday life saving it just for these threads jumping in with you opinion that embeds into someones post