The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

19 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think that's a bit of an over exaggeration, i watched enough games in utica to know that he was extremely inconsistent, even in the last half.  He would play 3-5 games working hard creating chances and then he'd the next 3-5 games off.  This happens right up until the end of the year.  The last 10 games when Utica was right in the middle of the push, i thought he didn't play that great, He was noticeable in maybe 3 games but disappeared on other nights, Kassian esq. 

That could also be called Bertuzzi-esq. when comparing early careers.

Just for those of us who yearn for cups to be half-full and whatnot.

Green on Virtanen - TIme in AHL a 'great learning situation'

There are few prospects more polarizing in the NHL than Vancouver’s Jake Virtanen.

Whatever your opinion, what’ll matter to Virtanen is that of his coach. And Travis Green sounds pretty confident that Virtanen can still grow into a solid NHL player.

“Some people think being sent down to the AHL is a big demotion but I think it was a great learning situation for him,” Green said in an appearance on The Playbook on Sportsnet 650. “I thought the year was good for him.”

Virtanen, the sixth-overall pick in 2014, appeared in 55 games for the Canucks during in the 2015-16 season as an 19-year-old. But after only 10 games last year, he was demoted to the Comets. He finished the year in the AHL, scoring nine goals and 19 points in 65 games while unknowingly auditioning for the new Canucks head coach, who was the boss in Utica at the time.

While the points don’t jump off the page, Green says he thought Virtanen was “snake bit” and could have scored 20 goals in the AHL.

“But for me it wasn’t about whether he was going to score or not score,” Green added. “It was about what he learned about himself and how he had to play the game.”

Green says the pressure that comes with being demoted gave Virtanen a chance to learn more about himself as a player.

“A lot of young guys have it easy and at some point in your career you always go through adversity,” Green said. “And to go through adversity, which I thought he did down there a little bit, it’s good for players.”

Still, if Virtanen does begin the season with the Canucks, it will be because he earned the spot. Green doesn’t believe in slotting guys into a particular position. Instead, Green has told Virtanen that his goal should simply be to become a regular NHL player, whether it’s as a scorer or a checker.

“For me it’s just make the NHL and be a part of a team that wins. Make yourself into an everyday NHL player that has a long career,” Green said. “I think that should be his goal right now. I don’t think we need to predict whether he’s going to be in the top six or bottom six.”

I trust this mans word more than any opinion here.

Edited by Fantomex
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think that's a bit of an over exaggeration, i watched enough games in utica to know that he was extremely inconsistent, even in the last half.  He would play 3-5 games working hard creating chances and then he'd the next 3-5 games off.  This happens right up until the end of the year.  The last 10 games when Utica was right in the middle of the push, i thought he didn't play that great, He was noticeable in maybe 3 games but disappeared on other nights, Kassian esq. 

The good news for him, is he has this year to get off on a good start.  Expectation need to be clear and set from the outset for him by mgmt.  None of this dragging him along in the NHL playing min minutes and then sitting him in press box.  The start of last year was a set back and it made him play catch up all year long.  I hope we've learned from those mistakes and start him off on the right track. 

what was Green doing with him those games? just wondering if it was different line mates or checking vs. more offensive lines, etc. that might explain things a bit. 

I think the message is pretty clear, there is a bottom 6 checking role, probably 4th line, for him this year if he shows up and impresses at camp. My big concern with him is whats between his ears.... I just don't know if he has the mentality to be an NHL regular. Sure hope he does but he needs to prove it. I think thats much more of a factor than anything management did or didn't do. 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Really good point.  Does it have anything to do with the number of NHL games he played already (especially in his first pro year) defaulting him out of the tournament?  

In the Young Stars tournament...you can't play if you've played in more than 25 NHL games...That also disqualified Pool Party this year as well.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what was Green doing with him those games? just wondering if it was different line mates or checking vs. more offensive lines, etc. that might explain things a bit. 

I think the message is pretty clear, there is a bottom 6 checking role, probably 4th line, for him this year if he shows up and impresses at camp. My big concern with him is whats between his ears.... I just don't know if he has the mentality to be an NHL regular. Sure hope he does but he needs to prove it. I think thats much more of a factor than anything management did or didn't do. 

If you go into the Comets thread from last year, you would see most people were pleased with his effort and compete level most nights.  The numbers don't show it, but he was pretty consistent last year

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If you go into the Comets thread from last year, you would see most people were pleased with his effort and compete level most nights.  The numbers don't show it, but he was pretty consistent last year

good to know. He sounded a lot more mature at this mornings press conf. I'd love to see him work his way up the lines this year. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

good to know. He sounded a lot more mature at this mornings press conf. I'd love to see him work his way up the lines this year. 

at this point I'd say its pretty much a foregone conclusion that he, Goldy, Boes and Dahlen will be starting in Utica, which is how it should be.  All 4 of them need to play significant mins in offensive situations, imo.  Playing 10 mins a night on the 4th line in Van does nothing for his development

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2017 at 6:03 PM, CanuckGAME said:

Question:  why is jake never apart of any prospect event?   Wasn't at the past 2 prospect tourneys and hasn't been at the past 2 development camps.  Why?  Jake would have benefited big time being at these camps.  

I'm sure there must be a reasonable answer.  I'm just curious as to why as Jake should be getting as much solid training in and team bonding in as possible. 

He's played a season in the NHL followed by another pro season in the AHL. He's no longer considered a prospect that would go to summer camps or prospect tourneys.

But all this talk and really we'll just have to wait and see how camp goes along with preseason games.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thought it rather interesting that he was with the vets in the media availability today.  No other rookies or AHLers in the mix.

That's interesting...

Maybe we should make something of Benning's comments about "where he ends up"? 

Benning almost always talks about the immediate future of players rather than their long term value.

10 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

According to Virtanen...Willie barely spoke to him during his tenure as coach of the Canucks........go figure

Willie D told the media when virtanen was called up and didn't play that he just came up to get his stuff. 

Lol. Was a mistake as a coach. Miss his mustache though.

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Guys, I watched 2 of 3 groups (the more veteran groups) practice at Rogers Arena today. Jake looked pretty good. And I'd say his fitness probably fell into the middle of the pack based on some nasty line rushes coach Green set up at the end of practice.

Scrimmaging tomorrow apparently. That will help illuminate whether or not Jake has grasped some of the "subtleties" of the game of hockey. His endurance, while not close to the elite on the team (based on today, Sedins, Stecher, Biega, some others headed this group) it looked to be much better. Despite his lighter weight, he still looks big out there.

thanks for sharing your observation with us :)