The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Jake has increased his value to the team by using his speed and aggresive style more completely in a 200 ft game. He is putting his head down and burning a&$ back to the d-zone, getting down low and breaking up plays more consistently. I also see his knack for aggressive physical play in front of the net where, after the whistle in scrums, Jake does not shy away from throwing bodies out of the crease.  This is great news because we all know that his shot, hitting and speed are above average but if he keeps this disciplined approach up (and I suspect with Greener at the helm Jake will) we might be watching the developement of a real future leader of this club. 

• Upvote 1

I'm really pulling for the kid to become that top-6 RW power forward that GMMG said he'd acquired in Kassian. Wouldn't that really be something if JV turned out to be that! I like what I'm seeing so far this campaign...but, I just hope it isn't a mirage and he falls down to earth in 3 months. 

On 6/2/2017 at 10:54 AM, Toews said:

Jake's fitness actually gets brought up as a point in his favor. I give him credit for losing ~30 pounds and I do believe that he will be fit in camp next year but IMO it isn't going to fix the flaws in his game. I have made detailed posts outlining his flaws and where I hope to see him improve. Hardly anyone seemed to be interested in having that discussion. We aren't going to see an entirely different player just because he shed some weight. Jake still has a long ways to go. To me he needs to go down next year rather than be put in a 4th line role because that will be about as high as he will be on the roster. Even guys like Goldobin and Gaunce are well ahead of him. I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlen and Gaudette have better showings in camp as well.

I don't think many would listen to Green (let alone people who actually watched his play in Utica) about how well he played last year - the "flaws" were more fabricated than actual.   He has a relatively unique package of skills that simply take longer to see the final picture than for some other players.   Is he there yet?   Probably not fully but he has shown flashes of dominance on some shifts and can play with just about anyone (fast game, heavy game, finesse game....that is rare) and just about in any role.   

Patience is a tough commodity with young players, particularly high draft picks, but until most players are 21-22 years old, it is REALLY difficult to draw final conclusions as the final product is not present yet....with power forwards and defensemen, that can be even later (23-25) and his final picture is far from complete.    Trend currently looks promising but it is a trend that started last season, not something he simply showed up in camp with like some are now claiming.

• Upvote 3

I don't think that they can send Jake down when they have told there young guys that if they earn the right to play they will make room for them.  They will lose credibility.  Jake has out performed Brock when you consider their 200 foot game.

5 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

While Jake has obviously made some progress over the last year. In my opinion it is still best if he plays at least another year in the AHL. He had a pretty good preseason but you have to take it with a grain of salt as definitely not playing against everyday NHL competition. 

What about his last 2 games?  Both had strong NHL representation and he scored in both and was responsible in his own end.  What more can he do to prove he belongs.  He didn't just out perform the young guys on the team.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

What about his last 2 games?  Both had strong NHL representation and he scored in both and was responsible in his own end.  What more can he do to prove he belongs.  He didn't just out perform the young guys on the team.

Jake hasn't made other players around him better, Gagner was reason for Calgary goal, Burmistrov gave him a gift goal. Haven't seen him create plays out of nothing, it's been him scoring on backs of other players hard work. Not to mention he was %100 of the reason Calgary scored taking one really really stupid penalty, who goes for a change and then goes back in the play when reaching  the bench?? 

Archie has earned it, generated chances from his forecheck etc.

28 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Jake hasn't made other players around him better, Gagner was reason for Calgary goal, Burmistrov gave him a gift goal. Haven't seen him create plays out of nothing, it's been him scoring on backs of other players hard work.

Probably because that's the type of player Jake is.

He's not a play creator. He's the guys that uses his speed/size/physicality to make room for the play making players (Gagner/Burmistrov) and then goes to the net to get off his hard wrist shot with a nice pass from them.

He's a complimentary player. And a darn good one if he can keep this up and has some play drivers to play with.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

I don't think the fanbase has ever 180'd this hard over a player before.

It seems that way.   As someone who likes the Canucks but isn't all absorbed, I was seemingly a pretty lone voice at times in Virtanen's corner seeing that his unique package of speed, size, shot and "aggression" would just need some time as it sometimes does for those who play a power forward type of game.    I can see if I was more invested in the Canucks that I may have been more critical of him out of the gate and perhaps less patient.

Anyway, people have Juolevi to worry about now that Virtanen is seemingly emerging from their disdain :lol:

• Upvote 1