The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

31 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Gagner was the reason for the goal? You do realize it was Jake who stole the puck fed it up to Gagner who made a nice drop pass back to Virtanen who smartly followed behind and then takes the puck and fires a wrister into the back of the net. Your opinion is so insignificant when you don't give credit where credits due. Good luck living in the shadows of the true Canuck fans out there. You certainly are not one of them. 

Virt's turned in to a nice takeway beast and it just feeds his offensive game.

Does he need someone creative to compliment? Absolutely. He's a complimentary, finisher. Steals pucks, uses his speed/grit to make space, go to net and get shot off = winning.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was seemingly a pretty lone voice at times in Virtanen's corner

Hey now... there's a good few of us who's spent more time than we should have had to, defending the poor kid and preaching patience.

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed, Virtanen should not have scored against Calgary and should have declined the gift from Burmistrov and done the right thing by shooting it wide as he really didn't earn it.   Unless a player takes the puck from their own end and makes the entire play themselves, they should not take any credit for the goal.

Being in the right place, right time and finishing is clearly not what you want to see out of a young player.   Such a negative and selfish act on his part to get goals in either case.   Clearly not a team player.   

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Just now, J.R. said:

Hey now... there's a good few of us who's spent more time than we should have had to, defending the poor kid and preaching patience.

:lol:

That is true - you were certainly one of them and in particular when your Forsberg namesake (your picture always messes up as I see the other dude for some reason..lol) chimed in with cherry picked stats to demonstrate how Virtanen was clearly washed up at 19 and 20 without any potential to emerge.    You are also a voice of reason on the Juolevi thread too but it sure does get lonely at times doesn't it though I see with Juolevi more and more are agreeing that waiting and then judging is worthwhile.....something perhaps learned in part from the signs Jake is showing them (?)

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed, Virtanen should not have scored against Calgary and should have declined the gift from Burmistrov and done the right thing by shooting it wide as he really didn't earn it.   Unless a player takes the puck from their own end and makes the entire play themselves, they should not take any credit for the goal.

Being in the right place, right time and finishing is clearly not what you want to see out of a young player.   Such a negative and selfish act on his part to get goals in either case.   Clearly not a team player.   

Agreed.  Now we have a player trending towards being a finisher.  God!  He might even become a Bossy, or OV, or (that newest bum who only finishes) Laine.  Maybe JB should just trade Virtanen now, before Jake only scores 40 goals a season, but never does any of the real work?  :lol:

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Does he need someone creative to compliment? Absolutely. He's a complimentary, finisher. Steals pucks, uses his speed/grit to make space, go to net and get shot off = winning.

Exactly. He knows that's what he needs to do to be successful and if he can be consistent with it and have the right linemates then he will excel in that role. Whether he becomes top 6 or middle 6 he can prove his worth as a 6th overall pick. He's shown he can do it and now we want to see he can do it again and again.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Now we have a player trending towards being a finisher.  God!  He might even become a Bossy, or OV, or (that newest bum who only finishes) Laine.  Maybe JB should just trade Virtanen now, before Jake only scores 40 goals a season, but never does any of the real work?  :lol:

The thought of a player accepting a pass from a teammate or finishing off a nice set-up out in front, the horror I agree.   Who does Virtanen think he is.     Laine and Bossy and Ovechin are are grossly overrated as all they did was shoot the puck in the net - and even took credit for it.   Sheesh, talk about ego maniacs who don't belong in a team sport.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The thought of a player accepting a pass from a teammate or finishing off a nice set-up out in front, the horror I agree.   Who does Virtanen think he is.     Laine and Bossy and Ovechin are are grossly overrated as all they did was shoot the puck in the net - and even took credit for it.   Sheesh, talk about ego maniacs who don't belong in a team sport.

No it's the whole omg JV is amazing nonsense while calling for Burmistrov to be cut etc. 

Sorry but he's useless without everyone else doing the work. 

JV has done jack squat besides accept gift passes from better players and not learn how to line change...against random players from multiple leagues in preseason, he struggled in the AHL doubt that has changed. 

I'd love to be wrong but he's still not ready for NHL from his play. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It seems that way.   As someone who likes the Canucks but isn't all absorbed, I was seemingly a pretty lone voice at times in Virtanen's corner seeing that his unique package of speed, size, shot and "aggression" would just need some time as it sometimes does for those who play a power forward type of game.    I can see if I was more invested in the Canucks that I may have been more critical of him out of the gate and perhaps less patient.

Anyway, people have Juolevi to worry about now that Virtanen is seemingly emerging from their disdain :lol:

Have to say Zepp, a lot of fans have been behind Virtanen since day one... A fraction have been negative towards him, but I think most of us never lost faith in him...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

Jake hasn't made other players around him better, Gagner was reason for Calgary goal, Burmistrov gave him a gift goal. Haven't seen him create plays out of nothing, it's been him scoring on backs of other players hard work. Not to mention he was %100 of the reason Calgary scored taking one really really stupid penalty, who goes for a change and then goes back in the play when reaching  the bench?? 

Archie has earned it, generated chances from his forecheck etc.

I don't know but this sounds a bit cynical.

3 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

No it's the whole omg JV is amazing nonsense while calling for Burmistrov to be cut etc. 

Sorry but he's useless without everyone else doing the work. 

JV has done jack squat besides accept gift passes from better players and not learn how to line change...against random players from multiple leagues in preseason, he struggled in the AHL doubt that has changed. 

I'd love to be wrong but he's still not ready for NHL from his play. 

for_fox_sake_by_vexiwolf-da7c7aa.png

From a discussion forum perspective, you are the gift that keeps on giving!   You are essentially saying his coach from last year, and now the coach of the Canucks, has no ability to judge one's ability to play NHL level hockey so you are essentially condemning the team in general in this regard as the talent is ultimately vetted by the coach.   

Cool.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Have to say Zepp, a lot of fans have been behind Virtanen since day one... A fraction have been negative towards him, but I think most of us never lost faith in him...

Good to hear - I guess those fans just left the forum for a while as there were some bleak pages in there :lol:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Good to hear - I guess those fans just left the forum for a while as there were some bleak pages in there :lol:

I think people just got tired of of trying to reason with the crazy street corner preachers ranting about the end being nigh :lol:

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is true - you were certainly one of them and in particular when your Forsberg namesake (your picture always messes up as I see the other dude for some reason..lol) chimed in with cherry picked stats to demonstrate how Virtanen was clearly washed up at 19 and 20 without any potential to emerge.  

When did i ever state that?  I never once said Jake has was washed up and had zero potential.  If you're going to talk about someone making claims about them, at least do them the favor by tagging them.  You might want to find a quote where I said he was washed up and not longer had any potential. 

You also might want to learn what "cherry picked" stats is.  Seemed to remember me using actual player compatibles while you used the only garbage you could find even if it didn't have any justification in the conclusion you were drawing from it.  . 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sorry, J.R. I'm the #!@*% who is wearing the Grammar Police hat today. It's "complement" and "complementary".

Edited by vinny_in_vancouver
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Image result for i'm important meme

Nope, you are wrong.   I am totally being condescending.    What part of "stop picking on the young guys - see, Vitanen will be fine" memo didn't you get?   Too busy looking for Luongo?

I expect you to recognize condescension  when it is delivered with such clarity.   I expected more from you.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope, you are wrong.   I am totally being condescending.    What part of "stop picking on the young guys - see, Vitanen will be fine" memo didn't you get?   Too busy looking for Luongo?

I expect you to recognize condescension  when it is delivered with such clarity.   I expected more from you.

I was clearly stating that "I" am not being condescending.

Image result for narcissist meme