The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

8 hours ago, stawns said:

That's the thing the people who have been bashing him for so long just don't get........it's not this training camp or pre-season, he played this way most of last year, but all they do is stat watch rather than listen to the people who were actually watching him play.

I watched him on the Hitmen, the Canucks, and the Comets. Not just a stat watcher... not the same Jake...

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, suitup said:

I watched him on the Hitmen, the Canucks, and the Comets. Not just a stat watcher... not the same Jake...

I watched 40+ Comets games last year and he played the same way from mid January on

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, suitup said:

I watched some Hitman games and was not that impressed. Virtanen actually had some pretty decent Canuck games in his rookie season. 

Green made no bones about the fact that Jake had to rebuild his game in Utica. My impression prior to last season was that he was able to play a style in Minor hockey and Junior that would not work in the NHL. IMO his positioning is much better this pre-season.

Pre-season is what it is and we can now look forward to seeing how he plays regular season games.  

All of those people who were knocking JV as a bum who the Canucks should never have drafted........I really hope you get to eat crow for the next 15 years!  Lots of hurdles still, but today was a little victory in the Canuck books.  They need JV and I can only hope the best for a local boy.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, alfstonker said:

With respect - bashing him? - behave yourself, people are entitled to expect a player to report fit and in condition.

I'm sick of the amount of hyperbolic crap, posters deal out unfairly to fans who's only "crime" is to expect professional standards from well paid professional players. 

He is playing and representing the CLUB we all love.

Jake has finally got a grip, seen the light, smelled the coffee, hallelujah!  - I'm sorry to break it to you but what he hasn't done has been "right all along and a victim of unfair criticism"

He is playing and representing the CLUB we all support not a pop group. His failings have been disrespectful of the coach, the Club and the fans.

"he played this way most of last year," - Lets keep it real, that is stretching reality just a bit too far, go back and read many of the post game posts of fans who watched the games.

You deserve all of the upvotes for this post. Literally all of them. 

I'm as thrilled as anyone with what Jake has done during this training camp, but to pretend that he was doing this all along, and that everyone giving him rightful criticism was simply "ignorant" is complete crap.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I watched 40+ Comets games last year and he played the same way from mid January on

He did, but he also didn't. 

When he was in Utica last year, he was rebuilding his game and try to play the right way. During that process he showed flashes and glimpses of what we see now in preseason. Just because he played well from time to time, doesn't change the fact that he didn't show nearly the same amount of consistency as what he's doing now. While he was discovering his game, there were moments where he'd bull around. Skating fast, hitting, shooting a lot, which are all great qualities, but not particularly effective when you don't make the right plays with the puck. Great qualities in perhaps a developing bottom six player- but that's not who we want him to be.

What you see now is a more polished version where he has better awareness, and plays a much more mature game. That is where the biggest difference lies and is not something to overlook. Not to mention, he is more fit and much more focused than he was before preseason. 

Either way, I'm tired of speaking about how he was before, and I just want to give praise and support Jake. I hope he keeps it up and becomes the goal-scorer we all hope him to be. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I watched some Hitman games and was not that impressed. Virtanen actually had some pretty decent Canuck games in his rookie season. 

Green made no bones about the fact that Jake had to rebuild his game in Utica. My impression prior to last season was that he was able to play a style in Minor hockey and Junior that would not work in the NHL. IMO his positioning is much better this pre-season.

Pre-season is what it is and we can now look forward to seeing how he plays regular season games.  

Yes I agree, he had a few decent games with the Canucks- I hope he will have 82 of those every season. I'm glad you brought up positioning, makes a huge difference and goes along with what I said about a more mature game. Used to try and drive it from down the wing every time. 

I second that, hope he will get better as the season progresses. 12G-14A would be great! 

8 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I think Jake is going to surprise us and get around 22 goal and maybe 25 assists.Maybe he has a bit of a slump in early Feb. but playing solid all year long. :)

Perhaps, but I'd guess that's optimistic. If he gets 20-25 points and creates great energy on his line, I'll be happy.

9 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

All of those people who were knocking JV as a bum who the Canucks should never have drafted........I really hope you get to eat crow for the next 15 years!  Lots of hurdles still, but today was a little victory in the Canuck books.  They need JV and I can only hope the best for a local boy.

(my bolded text) 

I really hope you catch the first available flight back to planet reality. 

There were few if any posters that I noticed, calling him a bum and as for not wanting him drafted - wake up, that is the case with almost any player drafted outside the top 3. People have different draft preferences, they are entitled to have these preferences and it doesn't mean they want whoever we have picked to fail either.

Some posters on here need to lose this ridiculous viewpoint that their favourite players are not allowed to be criticised if there is justification (and there certainly was with Jake) - it's childish and immature.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I agree.

My impression of Jake early on was that he could easily out muscle and out pace players to the net, mostly in a straight line with little hockey IQ needed. This concerned me, as that type of game doesn't play well against bigger, stronger, and faster players.

It's what has never really made me excited about Stukel, who seems to play in a similar fashion but lacks Jake's high end speed and size.

The last year has been big for Jake, as he seems to be developing a hockey IQ. He is getting to spots now and supporting better - added with his top-shelf speed and size - we could be in for a treat.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

I agree.

My impression of Jake early on was that he could easily out muscle and out pace players to the net, mostly in a straight line with little hockey IQ needed. This concerned me, as that type of game doesn't play well against bigger, stronger, and faster players.

It's what has never really made me excited about Stukel, who seems to play in a similar fashion but lacks Jake's high end speed and size.

The last year has been big for Jake, as he seems to be developing a hockey IQ. He is getting to spots now and supporting better - added with his top-shelf speed and size - we could be in for a treat.

Don't forget he's also got a great wrister.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

(my bolded text) 

I really hope you catch the first available flight back to planet reality. 

There were few if any posters that I noticed, calling him a bum and as for not wanting him drafted - wake up, that is the case with almost any player drafted outside the top 3. People have different draft preferences, they are entitled to have these preferences and it doesn't mean they want whoever we have picked to fail either.

Some posters on here need to lose this ridiculous viewpoint that their favourite players are not allowed to be criticised if there is justification (and there certainly was with Jake) - it's childish and immature.

You're right, it was a very small number of people.  But those people were accounting for the vast majority of the posts in this topic.  I can see why people are suddenly calling them out.