The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Seems Bobby Mac thinks Jake will play with Conner

@TSNBobMcKenzie IMO, 7 locks up front: Domi-Reinhart-Duclair; Fabbri-McDavid-Virtanen; Petan. That leaves 1 spot at C, 2 at LW and 2 RW plus 13th fwd.

(Learning new phone can't properly paste tweet haha)

Virtanen playing top six minutes with Canada would be huge! Looking like he might make a push for the big leagues next year.

Yeah he's definitely playing as one of the best players for Canada at the camp. I think he'll play a big role for Canada at the World Juniors, that's a tournament where skill and speed is crucial. Fabbri and McDavid are terrific players who know how to get open, are very smart and great playmakers. He'll be playing with great players and his skill will really show. Virtanen type of players with alot of speed and skill can dominate tournaments like the World Juniors and he might just be a top 3 point getter for Canada.

You don't think it has to do with playing with new teammates in a new system? No that couldn't be it.

Lets not try and make conclusions after one game.

You mean posters on hockey forums aren't all professional scouts? :shock:

Yea but he doesn't dangle so he's just a grinder.

You just love your sarcasm eh DeNiro?

He is obviously adjusting to the new system/coaches but so are the other 29 other players. It just seems like he wasn't playing inside to confines of the system much, that's all. Maybe playing outside the system gets him to score and create more offence but it can be detrimental to a team, especially in a tournament like the WJC where one play can cost you.

Also, don't tell me throwing cross ice passes on your backhand to the point from the corner is a product of adjusting to new systems.. You are taught from day 1 in hockey school not to do that.

He is obviously adjusting to the new system/coaches but so are the other 29 other players. It just seems like he wasn't playing inside to confines of the system much, that's all. Maybe playing outside the system gets him to score and create more offence but it can be detrimental to a team, especially in a tournament like the WJC where one play can cost you.

Also, don't tell me throwing cross ice passes on your backhand to the point from the corner is a product of adjusting to new systems.. You are taught from day 1 in hockey school not to do that.

I didnt watch the games but he had 6 points in 6 periods. His teammates are calling him showtime already. I think your maybe being a little too critical.

• Upvote 2

Yeah you have a point. Virtanen doesn't really need a system to play in because he can skate and then use his size to power to the net or shoot. I haven't seen the games so I can't say if he's cycling with his linemates, trying to get open, etc or taking the puck and going to the net.

There might not have been a system though because cuts have to be made, not all players are playing and I think this is just 2 games to evaluate the players individually.

The coach, Benoit Groulx spoke good things about Virtanen and doesn't seem to have any concerns about his play. We're probably thinking to much into 2 games anyways, sure he's looking good but the whole team dominated the CIS All-Stars.

Speed, shot, physical play. Hes not really wrong is he?

Read his comment wrong, thought he was going over the top with it saying that Virtanen is better than everyone else in almost every way, my bad.

I think he is among the best in those areas, (his strengths that you listed) but I do think there is room for debate.

His skating is among the very best, but there are some other fast skaters, and other good skaters.

His shot is really good, but I don't think its the hardest (Ekblad has a bomb) and there are some other accurate shooters that I would say are debatable (guys like Dal Colle, Fabbri & McCann come to mind, along with Jake obvs)

And physically he has impressive strength, I do think Nick Ritchie is more aggressive though.

I didnt watch the games but he had 6 points in 6 periods. His teammates are calling him showtime already. I think your maybe being a little too critical.

Sometimes it seems like any criticism is too much criticism.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Read his comment wrong, thought he was going over the top with it saying that Virtanen is better than everyone else in almost every way, my bad.

I think he is among the best in those areas, (his strengths that you listed) but I do think there is room for debate.

His skating is among the very best, but there are some other fast skaters, and other good skaters.

His shot is really good, but I don't think its the hardest (Ekblad has a bomb) and there are some other accurate shooters that I would say are debatable (guys like Dal Colle, Fabbri & McCann come to mind, along with Jake obvs)

And physically he has impressive strength, I do think Nick Ritchie is more aggressive though.

Sometimes it seems like any criticism is too much criticism.

Few pages back I talked about how he needs to work on his defensive game. Thats going to be his biggest obstacle. If he can figure out the other side of the rink hes going to be scary with that tool set.

• Upvote 1