These are Virtanen's international statistics (listed on Eliteprospects):

*Canada Pacific U17 WHC-17 5GP 5g 2a 7pts 8PIM

**Canada U18 WJC-18 7GP 3g 3a 6pts 10PIM +2

*tied for second in team scoring

**tied for first in team scoring

EDIT: I guess I'll leave his Ivan Hlinka stats too:

Canada U18 Hlinka Memorial 5GP 0g 1a 1pts 4PIM -2

Hey I am old....give me a break! I did pretty good......1 for 2.......lol

I will take that as a friendly point.....good one at that!

I wonder who his line mates were for those 2 U-18 tournaments? It would be interesting to know........was he injured in the Hlinka Tournament..........just questions

Thanks for pointing it out

Cheers

I don't know about that one elite talent thing. By Orr's philosophy, Mason Raymond should have been a star.

I'd actually argue it's less about the pure talent and more about the will to be the absolute best.

Mason Raymond was one of the NHL's best at falling down with nobody around him though. Elite.

Natural talent trumps will 10 times out of 10. A hack can practice 20,000 hours and will still not come even close to being as good as a person with the natural talent required to perform at an world-elite level. We know this because of all the aspiring hockey players in this country over the years that do not amount to squat even though their will to become great was not an issue.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about that one elite talent thing. By Orr's philosophy, Mason Raymond should have been a star.

I'd actually argue it's less about the pure talent and more about the will to be the absolute best.

I would agree that that is the deciding factor.........it is always the deciding factor..........the one that gets up over the one that stays down.........always.........but when that is equal the others, apply......I don't think that the ones that stay down ever make it,,,,not too often anyways!

Mason Raymond was one of the NHL's best at falling down with nobody around him though. Elite.

Natural talent trumps will 10 times out of 10. A hack can practice 20,000 hours and will still not come even close to being as good as a person with the natural talent required to perform at an world-elite level. We know this because of all the aspiring hockey players in this country over the years that do not amount to squat even though their will to become great was not an issue.

That is a funny point that can be argued politely.............I remember 2 brothers that played Jr. A together, the older one had all the talent and was drafted by Buffalo, the other was tough as nails and never quit.......the first one had a drink of coffee, the second one had was drafted by Washington Capitals........played 11 years......albeit a goon.....but still 11 years, and always got up.....his brother was very good....but............In the NHL even the talented one's get up........in the NHL we are just seeing the cream.....even they get divided into different talent groups.......at the end.......elite is elite.....Virtanen is not McDavid elite........I seem to be argueing against myself...lol

That is a funny point that can be argued politely.............I remember 2 brothers that played Jr. A together, the older one had all the talent and was drafted by Buffalo, the other was tough as nails and never quit.......the first one had a drink of coffee, the second one had was drafted by Washington Capitals........played 11 years......albeit a goon.....but still 11 years, and always got up.....his brother was very good....but............In the NHL even the talented one's get up........in the NHL we are just seeing the cream.....even they get divided into different talent groups.......at the end.......elite is elite.....Virtanen is not McDavid elite........I seem to be argueing against myself...lol

I think this was all about at exactly what point the first one had the drink of coffee. Vital.

6 points in 6 periods against the CIS all-stars, it really isn't a big feat.

And how'd all the others do? Right -- Nylander and Ehlers would have done much better...

How many points did Dal Colle have? What if we had had him and not Virtanen, how much would this board be blowing up right now, with why didn't we take Virtanen comments? Local kid physical and can score?

Exactly. Barely-18 kid plays big, scores big, impresses everyone, and yet there's incessant hand-wringing. Could end up with McDavid and there'd be complaints about him not being physical enough.

I think this was all about at exactly what point the first one had the drink of coffee. Vital.

No, I have seen alot of nhl players and played against more than a few, the guys that make it, are different by way of drive

you can knock a light one down and they will be swing their stick at you as they are falling, the others just lay there

Move up a league and the same thing happens

When they get to the top......everyone gets up, then talent becomes the defining factor.....seen it so many times

No, I have seen alot of nhl players and played against more than a few, the guys that make it, are different by way of drive

you can knock a light one down and they will be swing their stick at you as they are falling, the others just lay there

Move up a league and the same thing happens

When they get to the top......everyone gets up, then talent becomes the defining factor.....seen it so many times

I was just being stupid. Who were the brothers in that post though?

It really depends if he makes the 15-16 season on alot of things, if Vrbata is still on the 1st line, if Higgins and Burrows are replaced or if they keep their game up. On the 3rd line if Burrows and Higgins do get replaced then they are likely going to the 3rd line which leaves no room for Virtanen.

Also, Shinkaruk and Jensen will be fighting for jobs in the top 9.

Alot of different situations possible, I'm going with no though.

Anyone think Virtanen will make the canucks in 2015-2016?

3rd line

Higgins-Richardson-Virtanen??

it's possible but I'm thinking 2016-17 is much more likely. I wish he was in a better program then the hitmen though. That actually might help him get to the NHL faster if Benning is worried Calgary isn't teaching a good system.

I don't see Virtanen making our team next year, I think he will take some time to develop.

But as far as the WJ's go, when things get going I don't see him playing on a 4th line, he's a goal scorer & needs to be used as such, I think they are just taking this time to look at other possibilities, but I still think Virtanen will be used in a top 6 role by the time the tourney roles around

Ritchie is Bernier 2.0. But in the juniors, he's a solid addition if he doesn't take too many dumb penalties.

Ehhh I don't see that at all.

He's faster, more aggressive and more talented than Bernier.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

yeah but talent only go so far. talent without will gives you wellwood...