The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I feel like special teams has not even came up for the world jr championship yet

Huh? Virtanen was practicing on the 1st unit penalty kill if thats what you were wondering. Lazar is also playing on the team now so maybe Virtanen can play with him instead of Gauthier....

Edited by messier's_elbow

Huh? Virtanen was practicing on the 1st unit penalty kill if thats what you were wondering. Lazar is also playing on the team now so maybe Virtanen can play with him instead of Gauthier....

More likely Lazar plays on the RW as there are a few players that are playing in a position they are less familiar with. With Lazar is a big bonus for team Canada, but does limit Virtanen's role as he was the only pure Right handed Right winger.

Lazar means a limited role for Virtanen IMO - virtually no chance Virtanen gets any PP time barring injuries now. I'm happy that he's at least being trusted to be a PK player for this team though.

Domi - Reinhart - Duclair

Fabbri - McDavid - Lazar

Ritchie - Petan - Virtanen

Dal Colle - Gauthier - Point

Dickinson

Dal Colle could end up on the 3rd line and Crouse could bump Ritchie off this team, but I'm hoping for that lineup.

More likely Lazar plays on the RW as there are a few players that are playing in a position they are less familiar with. With Lazar is a big bonus for team Canada, but does limit Virtanen's role as he was the only pure Right handed Right winger.

To start off.

A lot can change in a short tournament. If one of those top 6 players cools off, the coach will not hesitate to mix things up, everyone knows that. Hopefully Virtanen plays a very hard game on that 3rd line and gets an opportunity if the top 6 offence cools off.

Lazar means a limited role for Virtanen IMO - virtually no chance Virtanen gets any PP time barring injuries now. I'm happy that he's at least being trusted to be a PK player for this team though.

Fabbri - McDavid - Lazar

Dickinson

Dal Colle could end up on the 3rd line and Crouse could bump Ritchie off this team, but I'm hoping for that lineup.

Completely disagree.

The special roles will be given to whoever is coming to play.

Lazar may get the first look, but if Virtanen is performing he'll get promoted.

Considering how Team Canada has been getting scrutinized over their team building, the best players will get the important roles.

Completely disagree.

The special roles will be given to whoever is coming to play.

Lazar may get the first look, but if Virtanen is performing he'll get promoted.

Considering how Team Canada has been getting scrutinized over their team building, the best players will get the important roles.

Fair enough. I should have said what you said. Lazar gets the first chance.

Fabbri - McDavid - Lazar

Dickinson

I wouldnt complain if thats the line up. Jake will still get his ice time, especially if he keeps up his strong play as of late.

Fabbri - McDavid - Lazar

Dickinson

Nice looking lineup for sure. I am hoping that Ritchie gets bumped. He's too much of a liability for dumb penalties in an international tournament. Both players you have mentioned would be better options.

I think the thing that many of us are neglecting is that line combinations have a factors that go into them than just player skill/ranking. Yes, if you have 3 players that are much better than the rest at LW, C and RW, it is likely they will play on the first line together. But as we've seen with various NHL and Olympic lineups, line combinations weigh heavily on how well the players and their play-style mesh with one another's: their chemistry.

That being said, Virtanen could really end up on any line depending on who he plays most effectively alongside.

2 dumb hits by Virtanen. one after the period was over which caused a crowd. I think he is getting 2 mins in the box for that one. And then one half way through the first where he was just going to the bench and nailed a guy and no puck was in sight. Hes gotta play smarter. Doesn't help when he only got 3-4 shifts and most got 5-7. Made some nice passes one with under a min left