The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Good to see Jake playing well (most of the time).  Even more importantly is that he is playing with an edge and getting into the opposing defense's faces.  He doesn't fight often but I think the opposing teams aren't sure what they will get if they challenge him.  Need more of his teammates to play more physical hockey.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

My posts regarding jake and olli have been crap eh?  The things I said about Jake 5 years ago started being discussed in this thread years after the fact, and the only thing I've said about Juolevi and I remember you getting in to a fit about it was "his progression has regressed"  That was in his D+1, here we are 3 years later and he still hasn't played in the NHL despite being a top 5 pick.  Yeah I've been way off base..

And you have claimed that I said that about benning numerous times now and have never brought up the quote so either you are making it up to try and make me look bad or you are thinking of someone else's comment

But apparently hockey IQ is just passing and shooting that everyone learns so damn no wonder you were so offended when I said jake had a low hockey IQ....yikes

Sometimes, it's not a matter of whether one is critical or not, but more of why they are being critical. Are they being critical for the right reasons basically.

I do see how Virtanen's game could have been frustrating in the past 2 years. I'm not going to be blind to that; however, I don't think your criticism has stopped there and that's the problem. What I've seen in your posts is someone who is holding a grudge and upset and perhaps it's clouded your judgement on what is fair criticism. I just don't think you've been fair in your criticism.

You have conviction at least and I can admire that. Just don't let that conviction get out of hand to the point of being unrealistic. ;) 

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

I drop in a give the kid credit all the time, what more do I need to do? The kid is clearly on the right trajectory now what canuck fan wouldnt be happy?   I quoted a poster who called anyone who still thinks JV has a low hockey IQ an idiot.  I took offence, I pleaded my case.  Don't call people idiots if you don't want them to respond

I didn't say he didn't overreact either. I guess I'm just saying don't be part of the problem. This forum is wacko enough as it is if you know what I mean. ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Educate me?  on what?  How to crap on our prospects because you don't like the pick?

How to say nonsense like "I can't wait until he busts and Benning looks like a fool"

Ya no save your smarmy lessons of spite and idiocy for yourself.  We've all read them, we've all seen them. 

Ya man, we've all said be patient, but up until mid year last year we were also all to a person leaning towards the well crap it didn't work out phase of his development.  If you ever read anything but your own garbage you'd be able to absorb other people's opinions without bias and see what we as a group of hockey fans were saying.

Instead you take offense at everyone who doesn't agree with you.  Continue to claim you know more than most, keep insinuating your brilliance is unmatched in the hockey world.  But to date have been made to look foolish on a regular basis and most of your posts regarding Virtanen and Juolevi have been...complete horse crap.

But meh.  You do you

Excellent post! 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Jake getting some tips on fighting from Guddy, maybe a scrap with Phaneuf coming up!

Irfaan Gaffar‏Verified account @sportsnetirf

Gudbranson explaining the rules of fight club to Virtanen. #Canucks

Ds9BvvVUUAAFH6F.jpg

Interesting that Jake weighs a couple pounds more than Guddy but looks quite a bit shorter. I hope he can pack a punch....and deliver it into phagoofs lip. lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Interesting that Jake weighs a couple pounds more than Guddy but looks quite a bit shorter. I hope he can pack a punch....and deliver it into phagoofs lip. lol

Best he start learning how to defend and fight especially when he is bowling over the likes of Phaneuf et al. I'm sure at some point he will be challenged; so it is good that he is getting some tips from one who knows how to fight.

• Like 1

My hope is that if phagnoof challenges Jake and he responds, Jake holds his own. I think if he loses he might hold back from those heavy hits  for a bit until he works the confidence back up. Jakes  playing high right now and man he looks good ,i'd hate to see him set back a bit. On the other hand if he comes out on top of this fight.... i think hell lay the body a lot more and that's a big Canucks win .

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yep, Jake is about 5-10 pounds heavier and 4 inches shorter. Quite a lot of man packed into his 6'1" frame.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Jake getting some tips on fighting from Guddy, maybe a scrap with Phaneuf coming up!

Irfaan Gaffar‏Verified account @sportsnetirf

Gudbranson explaining the rules of fight club to Virtanen. #Canucks

Ds9BvvVUUAAFH6F.jpg

If I recall Prust took some of the kids under his wing to deliver some fighting tips as well. I wonder if they covered jabbing rats in the nuts with their sticks.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2014 at 5:06 PM, Ihatetomatoes said:

So disappointed. Virtanen can skate, hit and shoot. All is great except he can't think the game and can't pass. 26 assists? So frustrating. Future 3rd liner

Awesome post from long ago.... Or at least objective.  Virt is showing he has more character then originally projected.... But we still don't know what his ceiling is.... 

That's a good thing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Jake's about the same weight as Puffer, but 3" shorter.  Should be a good tilt once it happens.  By the sounds of it, he'll probably say as much after the game -- the relaxed confidence he's showing and fun he's having is fantastic.  And the way he's playing he's certainly going to get challenged eventually.

• Upvote 2

I haven't been on the Virtanen bandwagon in the past but he's making me rethink that with his recent run of play. 

He's gone from looking lost to being a consistent difference maker. 

Still have him as a 20-25 goal 10-15 assist guy max but would love for him to prove me wrong. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Jake's about the same weight as Puffer, but 3" shorter.  Should be a good tilt once it happens.  By the sounds of it, he'll probably say as much after the game -- the relaxed confidence he's showing and fun he's having is fantastic.  And the way he's playing he's certainly going to get challenged eventually.

John Bucyk had a summer home here and I got to meet a few Boston Bruin players years ago. I was always blown away with the size of most of these guys from the waist down. Massive legs. Even Sather was big. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3