The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Check the slo-mo -- dat soss.

I noticed this. Horvat being able to control that was the most underrated part of the play. Most players miss that most of the time. Incredible hand-eye and control by Bo. Great pass by Jake as well too of course.

7 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think Horvat and Virtanen together on a line is going to be huge.  That is alot of speed and size for teams to handle. Their games will complement each others pretty well.  I think this is the start of big things for Virt.

Wait for Baer to come back. I think they'll have some chemistry now that Jake has figured out his own game.

8 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think Horvat and Virtanen together on a line is going to be huge.  That is alot of speed and size for teams to handle. Their games will complement each others pretty well.  I think this is the start of big things for Virt.

Its weird but I never thought their chemistry would be this good. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve said this before and people laughed (and maybe will again)...but my high end prediction for Jake is Corey Perry. He’s got the snarkyness, the shot, that smug look, can hit like a truck, is great defensively, and has a power forward body but with way better skating than the average power forward...all things that used to make Perry so dangerous...I know it’s a completely rosy prediction, but the similarities are there.

You can point out that Perry was elite and Jake may never score at the rate he did in his prime, but Jake doesn’t have a big dominating center like Getzlaf feeding him. Perry’s points back in the day were very inflated because of that fact.

Like you all i’m loving Horvat and Virt together, and I think you’re bang on that Baertchi suits that line very well! Things are looking up now that we are getting healthy again! 

14 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I’ve said this before and people laughed (and maybe will again)...but my high end prediction for Jake is Corey Perry. He’s got the snarkyness, the shot, that smug look, can hit like a truck, is great defensively, and has a power forward body but with way better skating than the average power forward...all things that used to make Perry so dangerous...I know it’s a completely rosy prediction, but the similarities are there.

You can point out that Perry was elite and Jake may never score at the rate he did in his prime, but Jake doesn’t have a big dominating center like Getzlaf feeding him. Perry’s points back in the day were very inflated because of that fact.

Like you all i’m loving Horvat and Virt together, and I think you’re bang on that Baertchi suits that line very well! Things are looking up now that we are getting healthy again! 

He does if he is good enough to be Bo's winger on a long term basis. 

LOL at Corey Perry comparisons. Man is on pace for 40 points in his 4th year as a pro. Thats not bad, but that puts him in the same ball-park as Alex Steen or David Perron, IF he can actually sustain it. Which is pretty good if he can achieve that.

9 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

He does if he is good enough to be Bo's winger on a long term basis. 

LOL at Corey Perry comparisons. Man is on pace for 40 points in his 4th year as a pro. Thats not bad, but that puts him in the same ball-park as Alex Steen or David Perron, IF he can actually sustain it. Which is pretty good if he can achieve that.

Jake contributes in other ways, when not scoring.  His a big physical presence, who hurts guys when he hits them.  His presence turns pucks over.  Plus he’s incredibly fast, which makes him great on back pressure.  I’d rather have a 20+20 Jake than a 60 Point Fop.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Jake contributes in other ways, when not scoring.  His a big physical presence, who hurts guys when he hits them.  His presence turns pucks over.  Plus he’s incredibly fast, which makes him great on back pressure.  I’d rather have a 20+20 Jake than a 60 Point Fop.  

Sure. You are describing players like Steen or Perron. Above average NHL-ers who play an above-average heavy game. 

He's developing slowly and hopefully one day he can turn into a legit 2nd liner. I am not holding my breath though. 

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Sure. You are describing players like Steen or Perron. Above average NHL-ers who play an above-average heavy game. 

He's developing slowly and hopefully one day he can turn into a legit 2nd liner. I am not holding my breath though. 

You can exhale; Jake is already a top six winger.  He will soon be a great PK guy too.  He’s going to bringing the Cup to Abbotsford long before the Fop brings one to ‘Fopperville’.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You can exhale; Jake is already a top six winger.  He will soon be a great PK guy too.  He’s going to bringing the Cup to Abbotsford long before the Fop brings one to ‘Fopperville’.  

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You have low standards if you think a top six winger = 0.45 PPG in his 4th full season on a bottom-feeder team. 
He is BARELY a top six winger in our team, let alone a cup contender. The simple proof of this, is the fact that he is not a lock in the top six even in our team.  And i have no idea who you think is Fop, but thats more or less irrelevant. 

In hindsight, the easy pick for us would've been Pastarnak. Much, much better player than Virtanen and already at a point that i think is higher than Jake's peak ever will be. 

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

You have low standards if you think a top six winger = 0.45 PPG in his 4th full season on a bottom-feeder team. 
He is BARELY a top six winger in our team, let alone a cup contender. The simple proof of this, is the fact that he is not a lock in the top six even in our team.  And i have no idea who you think is Fop, but thats more or less irrelevant. 

In hindsight, the easy pick for us would've been Pastarnak. Much, much better player than Virtanen and already at a point that i think is higher than Jake's peak ever will be. 

I think, don’t know of course, JB was not allowed to help in his first draft with us. If he was, likely he would have known about Pastrnak, considering the Bruin’s connection.  

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Bolded the relevant part.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Considering his age and development and that he was a bottom-6 winger last year, what is so objectionable about him now spotting in on the top-6, even as the team is becoming healthy?  Is a 22-year-old who has become an everyday NHLer, effective player, is just starting to achieve his potential, and is now breaking into top-6 and PP minutes something to NOT be encouraged about?

How is that in any way meaningful let alone relevant?  In hindsight, Lidstrom would have been the "easy pick" in 1989 too, but the Canucks picked Jason Herter.  Has absolutely nothing to do with Jake, not to mention the fact a couple dozen other teams also passed DP up and nobody was taking him at #6.  For whatever reason, it seems you're grasping at straws and excuses in a desperate attempt to downplay how well Jake's been doing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Considering his age and development and that he was a bottom-6 winger last year, what is so objectionable about him now spotting in on the top-6, even as the team is becoming healthy?  Is a 22-year-old who has become an everyday NHLer, effective player, is just starting to achieve his potential, and is now breaking into top-6 and PP minutes something to NOT be encouraged about?

There is nothing objectionable. Simply pointing out that he is coming along but has a LONG way to go to even be Alex Steen level, nevermind Corey Perry level as some people are projecting him to be. It is encouraging, but as i said, i am NOT hopeful that he will be an elite NHL top-six guy. If he continues developing, i see him being a serviceable top six guy in a cup contender team, which is good enough. 

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

How is that in any way meaningful let alone relevant?  In hindsight, Lidstrom would have been the "easy pick" in 1989 too, but the Canucks picked Jason Herter.  Has absolutely nothing to do with Jake, not to mention the fact a couple dozen other teams also passed DP up and nobody was taking him at #6.  For whatever reason, it seems you're grasping at straws and excuses in a desperate attempt to downplay how well Jake's been doing.

That was a response to Alf and his idea that Jake was the best pick at #6. Clearly, he is/was not.

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Yeah...cuz hindsight is....hindsight is.....

Come on. Hindsight is stupid with respect to previous years NHL drafts. Many GMs pass over many good players each year.  Silly comment imo.