The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

13 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

To all the left wing doubters, it's working.

11 hours ago, nuckfanfromafrica said:

Biggest no brainer. Virtanen has always been most effective on the Left wing. 90% of his goals and assist have come from him flying in from the left side.

10 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

He played right wing all night. Just ended up busting down the left side due to his breakout route. If Jake gets a clean crisp pass at top speed cutting across the ice, he’s almost always going to make a good play. 

This ^

Green's using him/Virtanen's playing exactly as he should, which is RW with LW crossover in to the offensive zone, when available.

That way he's better defensively on his natural side in his own end and when available, gets better shot angles in the o-zone.

This isn't a 'problem' to be solved.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3
1 minute ago, aGENT said:

This ^

Green's using him/Virtanen's playing exactly as he should, which is RW with LW crossover in to the offensive zone, when available.

That way he's better defensively on his natural side in his own end and when available, gets better shot angles in the o-zone.

Cross over in the neutral zone regroup too.  I like how Green encourages his wingers to gain speed (before the pass) by crossing over.  Jake is so big and fast, he's only going to get more scoring chances (and create space for his teammates too) as he gains more confidence.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This ^

I noticed this later in the game, at one point I thought he was playing LW but nope just transitioning on the break out. It seemed like he did it way more that game though.

• Hydration 1
12 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

appreciate the honesty, right now jake is not a top 6 guy, but a role player for him I am happy with too.still out playing Bennet, Dal Cole and Fleury.

Jake can change a game with his speed, skill, and physical play.  I'd say that makes him more impactful than the Smurfs from his draft too, who do nothing buy hurt their teams, when games get rough (like in the playoffs.)

12 hours ago, nuckfanfromafrica said:

Biggest no brainer. Virtanen has always been most effective on the Left wing. 90% of his goals and assist have come from him flying in from the left side. This dates back to him in Junior. He uses his size a lot better on that wing to drive the net, set up plays plus snipe as a righty playing off wing. How he hasn't been permanently played on the left wing just shows incompetence. Max out your roster by putting players in the best position to excel. Almost as obvious as playing Boeser on the left side on a powerplay. Proponent of having the line as:

This Season:

Virtanen (LW) - Hovart (C) - Goldobin (RW)

modern day WCE 2.0

Levio (LW) - Pettersson(C) - Boeser (RW)

Future Seasons:

with some lottery luck (1st or 2nd). Draft Hughes 

Boeser (LW) - Hughes (C) - Lind(RW)

Gadjovic(LW) - Pettersson(C) - Dahlen (RW)

************ - Gaudette(C)  -Macwen

Draft Kappo

Boeser (LW)  - Gaudette(C) - Kappo (RW)

Gadjovic(LW) - Pettersson(C) - Dahlen (RW)

************** - *********** - Macwen

Pettersson is going to be an 11 million dollar player and you have him on the 3rd line?   lol

I don't think so.

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I noticed this later in the game, at one point I thought he was playing LW but nope just transitioning on the break out. It seemed like he did it way more that game though.

It's almost like Jake understands what he's supposed to do and how to play the game, and is doing it effectively.

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's almost like Jake understands what he's supposed to do and how to play the game, and is doing it effectively.

Yes and also the coaching staff trusts him so they design plays to highlight his skill now that they know he will get into a defensive position after they break out.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Check the slo-mo -- dat soss.

I noticed this. Horvat being able to control that was the most underrated part of the play. Most players miss that most of the time. Incredible hand-eye and control by Bo. Great pass by Jake as well too of course.

I think Horvat and Virtanen together on a line is going to be huge.  That is alot of speed and size for teams to handle. Their games will complement each others pretty well.  I think this is the start of big things for Virt.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2
7 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think Horvat and Virtanen together on a line is going to be huge.  That is alot of speed and size for teams to handle. Their games will complement each others pretty well.  I think this is the start of big things for Virt.

Wait for Baer to come back. I think they'll have some chemistry now that Jake has figured out his own game.

1 minute ago, Fantomex said:

Wait for Baer to come back. I think they'll have some chemistry now that Jake has figured out his own game.

Yep, recall they looked good together a couple seasons ago.  MASSIVE to get our other top-6 winger back, trickle-down effect throughout the lineup.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, BCNate said:

Its weird but I never thought their chemistry would be this good. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve said this before and people laughed (and maybe will again)...but my high end prediction for Jake is Corey Perry. He’s got the snarkyness, the shot, that smug look, can hit like a truck, is great defensively, and has a power forward body but with way better skating than the average power forward...all things that used to make Perry so dangerous...I know it’s a completely rosy prediction, but the similarities are there.

You can point out that Perry was elite and Jake may never score at the rate he did in his prime, but Jake doesn’t have a big dominating center like Getzlaf feeding him. Perry’s points back in the day were very inflated because of that fact.

Like you all i’m loving Horvat and Virt together, and I think you’re bang on that Baertchi suits that line very well! Things are looking up now that we are getting healthy again! 

14 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I’ve said this before and people laughed (and maybe will again)...but my high end prediction for Jake is Corey Perry. He’s got the snarkyness, the shot, that smug look, can hit like a truck, is great defensively, and has a power forward body but with way better skating than the average power forward...all things that used to make Perry so dangerous...I know it’s a completely rosy prediction, but the similarities are there.

You can point out that Perry was elite and Jake may never score at the rate he did in his prime, but Jake doesn’t have a big dominating center like Getzlaf feeding him. Perry’s points back in the day were very inflated because of that fact.

Like you all i’m loving Horvat and Virt together, and I think you’re bang on that Baertchi suits that line very well! Things are looking up now that we are getting healthy again! 

He does if he is good enough to be Bo's winger on a long term basis. 

LOL at Corey Perry comparisons. Man is on pace for 40 points in his 4th year as a pro. Thats not bad, but that puts him in the same ball-park as Alex Steen or David Perron, IF he can actually sustain it. Which is pretty good if he can achieve that.

9 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

He does if he is good enough to be Bo's winger on a long term basis. 

LOL at Corey Perry comparisons. Man is on pace for 40 points in his 4th year as a pro. Thats not bad, but that puts him in the same ball-park as Alex Steen or David Perron, IF he can actually sustain it. Which is pretty good if he can achieve that.

Jake contributes in other ways, when not scoring.  His a big physical presence, who hurts guys when he hits them.  His presence turns pucks over.  Plus he’s incredibly fast, which makes him great on back pressure.  I’d rather have a 20+20 Jake than a 60 Point Fop.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Jake contributes in other ways, when not scoring.  His a big physical presence, who hurts guys when he hits them.  His presence turns pucks over.  Plus he’s incredibly fast, which makes him great on back pressure.  I’d rather have a 20+20 Jake than a 60 Point Fop.  

Sure. You are describing players like Steen or Perron. Above average NHL-ers who play an above-average heavy game. 

He's developing slowly and hopefully one day he can turn into a legit 2nd liner. I am not holding my breath though. 

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Sure. You are describing players like Steen or Perron. Above average NHL-ers who play an above-average heavy game. 

He's developing slowly and hopefully one day he can turn into a legit 2nd liner. I am not holding my breath though. 

You can exhale; Jake is already a top six winger.  He will soon be a great PK guy too.  He’s going to bringing the Cup to Abbotsford long before the Fop brings one to ‘Fopperville’.