The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I haven't seen this much activity in a Jake Virtanen thread since he was stuck in Utica.

I wonder if people are allowed to change their opinion of a player without having it thrown in their face that they once criticized the same player. I had my reasons for criticizing Virtanen many of which I feel at the time were justified criticisms. I would also say that he has proven me wrong on multiple counts. The player is often his best advocate and Jake has shown tremendous growth.

I just don't see it as very much mature to get your digs in at posters and continue to remind them that they once criticized the same player. Moreover it accomplishes nothing and if only creates division and more angst. This egotistical impulse some have to prove that they were right does nothing to advance the discussion. I think its time we put these petty squabbles behind and let everyone get behind this player.

PS: Maybe we can give people their "I believed in Virtanen all along" badges so that they have something tangible to show for their unwavering support. We can work something out. ^_^

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canuckistani said:

I am sorry, i dont even know where to begin with someone who thinks Jake is in the top 20 fastest guys in the NHL, nevermind top 5. There is delusion then there is incurable, THANOS level delusions...

In a straight line just for flat out speed I’d be willing to bet he’s top 10 easily.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Guuntriiiix, Guuuntriiix. How about the 5th line? where are you guys now that this kid is showing he's a top 9 guy?

I don’t know about 5th Line’s view, but some posters still would rather have an over paid, whining Fop, instead of great Jake.  

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

?   really?   That the Toronto based feed station?

They're all Toronto based.....but yes, the story was about all the Philly goalies from a > z. You were 'z'.

Philadelphia has cycled through a couple different coaching staffs and front office setups since the Bobrovsky deal (Paul Holmgren, the GM at the time, is now team president), all while trying an alphabet-spanning list of goaltenders that ranges from Alex Lyon to Rob Zepp.

1 minute ago, SingleThorn said:

They're all Toronto based.....but yes, the story was about all the Philly goalies from a > z. You were 'z'.

Philadelphia has cycled through a couple different coaching staffs and front office setups since the Bobrovsky deal (Paul Holmgren, the GM at the time, is now team president), all while trying an alphabet-spanning list of goaltenders that ranges from Alex Lyon to Rob Zepp.

Thanks - nice to hear about the article.   Philly is actually a class organization but sure are in a rough patch right now.

38 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, sure.   Nice driving the play all night by Baer and even a better game winning goal.   

Subjective notion that.    :lol:

subjective notion is what i quoted from you earlier. Red herrings don't change anything, nice try. 

Wonder when Virtanen's luck is gonna even out with all the highly flukey goals he's scoring so far. 

• Wat 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Jake has tied his career high in goals (set last year) in less than half the games. Looks exciting. I love a good comeback story and so badly want Jake to continue proving people wrong.

yeah. i think last year he was a bit snake-bitten but his flukey goal streaks this year is making up for it. 

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Two things can be true at once.

A] There were players taken after Jake in the 2014 draft that have emerged sooner but Jake will be exactly what the Canucks wanted and need for their future.

B] Jake is showing more consistency this season and is showing that he has the potential to become an effective top 6 forward. 

Why is this so hard for people?

FIFY.    

Oh, and for those that keep track of such, Virtanen has more ice time than EP40 in a road game against a big/fast team.   That is the role that Jake will play for this team for the next many years - being a big bodied, speed demon guy who is responsible in key situations.    If you have that and you also get a 20ish goal scorer in the mix, that a jackpot irrespective of where you got him in the draft and certainly just great for a 6th overall.   

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

subjective notion is what i quoted from you earlier. Red herrings don't change anything, nice try. 

Wonder when Virtanen's luck is gonna even out with all the highly flukey goals he's scoring so far. 

As long as you keep on about how he isn't a valuable member of the Canucks, his luck will continue.   It has been so ordained.    

latest?cb=20140104205743

yeah. i think last year he was a bit snake-bitten but his flukey goal streaks this year is making up for it. 

Definitely more lucky than last year, but his shooting percentage of 13.5% isn't that insanely unreasonable, albeit much higher than his previous years. Maybe he's learning to shoot at better times?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

As long as you keep on about how he isn't a valuable member of the Canucks, his luck will continue.   It has been so ordained.    

he has ways to go to be a valued member of a bottom-feeder team if he can neither crack the top six consistently nor play PK. Its just that simple. Unless ofcourse, your definition of being valued is being a small cog that makes the picture perfect...

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

FIFY.    

Oh, and for those that keep track of such, Virtanen has more ice time than EP40 in a road game against a big/fast team.   That is the role that Jake will play for this team for the next many years - being a big bodied, speed demon guy who is responsible in key situations.    If you have that and you also get a 20ish goal scorer in the mix, that a jackpot irrespective of where you got him in the draft and certainly just great for a 6th overall.   

Look, I like Jake. I think he's gonna be a big part of our future, and his stock has taken a huge upswing this season.

That being said, it's not some sort of huge knock against the guy or a huge knock on Benning to admit that Nylander and Ehlers, who we passed on, are better players. That's just the reality of the situation. 

I think it's also important to note that the 2014 draft was a weird one. After the top 3 picks, Nylander and Ehlers, things kinda went all over the place. The guy picked at 25th overall might very well be the best player of the class.

It was a weird draft and I don't really hold it against anyone for not scouting it as well as other drafts.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

Im not sure but the majority of the goals Jake scored this year were shear skill . Top shelf , just above the goalies pads and a rocket of a shot beating the keeper glove side. A couple of "flukey" goals he got were a just reward for the effort hes been putting in this year. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Toews said:

I wonder if people are allowed to change their opinion of a player without having it thrown in their face that they once criticized the same player. I had my reasons for criticizing Virtanen many of which I feel at the time were justified criticisms. I would also say that he has proven me wrong on multiple counts. The player is often his best advocate and Jake has shown tremendous growth.

I just don't see it as very much mature to get your digs in at posters and continue to remind them that they once criticized the same player. Moreover it accomplishes nothing and if only creates division and more angst. This egotistical impulse some have to prove that they were right does nothing to advance the discussion. I think its time we put these petty squabbles behind and let everyone get behind this player.

PS: Maybe we can give people their "I believed in Virtanen all along" badges so that they have something tangible to show for their unwavering support. We can work something out. ^_^

it depends.  if you just gave your opinion while admitting you might be mistaken, then fine.  if you yammered away calling people who didn't agree with you idiots, then game on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2