The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Currently they have one righty on the 3rd line (Fabbri) and Virtanen is the only righty on the fourth line. I'm saying if you move Virtanen up to the 3rd and replace him with one of the lefties and move Fabbri to center, (because fabbri has easily been the best of the three,) you're putting three lefties on the fourth. i don't know how that's saying a 3rd line of lefties is better.

And also, he hasn't performed better than Lazar or Duclair to earn a top six spot.

Fabbri is a lefty.

Stopped watching after 2 periods. He had like maybe 5 shifts through 2. Im like only watching cause of Virtanen but if he isn't gonna play whats the point

To get hyped about the future of hockey? I get more excited about the World Juniors than the playoffs tbh. Something about seeing players as they were compared to how they became.

Currently they have one righty on the 3rd line (Fabbri) and Virtanen is the only righty on the fourth line. I'm saying if you move Virtanen up to the 3rd and replace him with one of the lefties and move Fabbri to center, (because fabbri has easily been the best of the three,) you're putting three lefties on the fourth. i don't know how that's saying a 3rd line of lefties is better.

And also, he hasn't performed better than Lazar or Duclair to earn a top six spot.

Fabbri is a lefty.

I agree that Virtanen should get a shot with McDavid. He will be a better fit than Ritchie. But the coach made that decision based on nothing soo it's hard to argue with.

i think Ritchie creates more space for McDavid, which allows him to slow down the game to create plays.

Virtanen could be a goos fit as well, but in a different way.

what? Werent you the guy who made the thread stating why we should draft him?

it's cdc in a nutshell really.

you think about it.. the amount of people who wanted virtanen @ 6 prior to the draft was between 10-20%.

now it's around 50% saying that they'd have taken him at the draft.

Virtanen's younger, he'll get another shot at the juniors next year when I'm sure he'll play a top-6 role but until then he'll have to earn his minutes the hard-way. Personally I think this is great for a kids development, as opposed to just throwing them in the deep end without him having to work too hard for it. Teaches the kid that nothing comes easy.

Not meaning to start another Virtanen-VS-Nylander argument but that was a sick goal by the Swede, he is much further on in his development after having played against men and he's Sweden's best player. Virtanen is going to be a project player for the Canucks a lot like Kassian is turning into, we're going to have to have a lot of patience with him because I feel Vancouver is really going to slow his development and get him absolutely right before he cracks the NHL (similar to Horvat as well) which is definately not a bad idea.

Virtanen is not the scoring dynamo some on here think he is. He is a crasher and banger .

On a team this over stacked, expecting Virtanen to be put in a scoring role is unrealistic . He will serve well as a fourth line energy guy. No need to get our egos in a knot because our new lovechild isnt being hyped as much as we want.

(I swear I am getting a strong sense of dejavu )

Dont worry. Jake will be given his chance with the Canucks. Once he gets to play 5 on 3 with the Sedins then we can judge how good he is. :)

Obviously he's not playing favorites if he dumped a fifth overall draft pick he's taken a crap on the CHL this year in favor of Virtanen and a 17 year old. He's judging his lineups based on camp performance and fit in the lineup. There isn't any politics with Groulx.

1RW - Duclair is dynamite

2RW - Lazar is fantastic. Would you complain if Horvat was on the second line right wing instead of Virtanen?

3RW - He wants to have a skilled line I'm assuming, so he takes Fabbri over Virtanen. Either way, Fabbri is wonderful. If you want Virtanen on the 3rd line you want him with Fabbri. Even if you make the argument he belongs on the 3rd line right wing over a guy like Nick Paul or Petan, both are left handed shots.. and by moving one of those guys down you're putting 3 lefties on the fourth line which would not be smart.

Pretty much this. People keep saying 'Oh Fabbri hasn't done much' - neither has Virtanen... Yes, Jake played well against CIS (so did Fabbri though), but vs Russia or Sweden? It's a wash at best so status quo - there's no reason the coach should try to do something different when no one in particular has earned it - so he goes with what he thinks works best - which is Fabbri right now I guess.

If Virtanen finished on two of his golden opportunities it would be a different story. Point is, Virtanen is the 4RW in Groulx's eyes, and therefore he needs to earn his way up the depth chart and outplay the RWs in front of him in order to move up the rankings. So far, he hasn't done that.

I think he could be 3RW over Fabbri too, but as it stands, the coach unfortunately doesn't see it that way. So Virtanen is going to have to play his way onto the 3rd line - just hasn't done it yet.

Edited by Dasein

Pretty much this. People keep saying 'Oh Fabbri hasn't done much' - neither has Virtanen... Yes, Jake played well against CIS (so did Fabbri though), but vs Russia or Sweden? It's a wash at best so status quo - there's no reason the coach should try to do something different when no one in particular has earned it - so he goes with what he thinks works best - which is Fabbri right now I guess.

If Virtanen finished on two of his golden opportunities it would be a different story. Point is, Virtanen is the 4RW in Groulx's eyes, and therefore he needs to earn his way up the depth chart and outplay the RWs in front of him in order to move up the rankings. So far, he hasn't done that.

I think he could be 3RW over Fabbri too, but as it stands, the coach unfortunately doesn't see it that way. So Virtanen is going to have to play his way onto the 3rd line - just hasn't done it yet.

I dont understand why you were so disappointed with Jakes game against Russia. He played well and was intimidating in his limited minutes.