The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

22 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

He wasn't a college player, and he was not ready for the NHL when he was played there his rookie season. Lol. As evidenced by the fact he was sent down to the AHL the season after his rookie year.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:30 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

As was Virtanen - evidenced by doing so.

I believe Rob meant JV was not ready for ready for the NHL. Which is correct IMO.

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I believe Rob meant JV was not ready for ready for the NHL. Which is correct IMO.

Go back and read the conversation again. He said that we shouldn't worry about Jake because Wheeler didn't play in the NHL until he was 22. And my point was that Wheeler only took that long because he played in College to avoid Phoenix. He very likely would have played a year or two sooner. The Wheeler example also falls short cause his rookie year (when he was 22) he scored 45 points. Jake has 59 points in his career, let alone just comparing their 22 year old seasons where Jake only scored 25 points.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:28 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Not arguing any of that - point is, 22 is not an old hockey player and for some reason some seem fixated on not letting players develop beyond that age.

I guess because his body was ready before his brain? I think its all mental with Jake, at some point the switch will flip and he'll really start imposing his will on teams. Hopefully thats next year. 

I have seen lots of talk about Virtanen 22 or Juolevi 21 in trades to get assets back..You also have to give up a good asset of good value..

There should be lots of teams interested in big Jake 22, 6'1, 220, amazing sped for power forward and gritty..Jake is what we will need when we are

a playoff team....It would be hard to see him get traded.I still see Jake score 20-24 G -- 35-45 point  very soon..

Now for Juolevi 21 - had 13 Pts in 18 AHL games last year before injury...I see Juolevi being a top 3 D man with great vision and lots of talent..

Scary trading this very talented asset away..If not for i his njury last year he would of played 50 games in Vancouver last season...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, N7Nucks said:

Go back and read the conversation again. He said that we shouldn't worry about Jake because Wheeler didn't play in the NHL until he was 22. And my point was that Wheeler only took that long because he played in College to avoid Phoenix. He very likely would have played a year or two sooner. The Wheeler example also falls short cause his rookie year (when he was 22) he scored 45 points. Jake has 59 points in his career, let alone just comparing their 22 year old seasons where Jake only scored 25 points.

Oh, I forgot it is all about points.   I forgot this was PlayStation.    My bad.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think by 24 - and apparently there is a quote attributable to Travis Green that says the same.   I think Virtanen from 24 through 32 or so will be a dominant 8 years of 20ish goals, 40ish points and a physical force that can move up and down the line up.   That is my projection for this kid.

Yup. Some kids just stay kids longer.

There were some interesting flashes of Jakes potential this year tho, and I do think he can drive to the net maybe better than anyone on the team, even Bo, when his mind is set for it. We keep saying we need more size on the team, and Jake has that along with great speed. I don't get the desire to give up on him (I do get actual hockey trade ideas but the give up thing is hard to understand).

Edited by Jimmy McGill

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yup. Some kids just stay kids longer.

There were some interesting flashes of Jakes potential this year tho, and I do think he can drive to the net maybe better than anyone on the team, even Bo, when his mind is set for it. We keep saying we need more size on the team, and Jake has that along with great speed. I don't get the desire to give up on him (I do get actual hockey trade ideas but the give up thing is hard to understand).

Until the Canuck franchise adds some more younger "grit", I would be reluctant to trade this asset.   Clearly the team has to make it there first but this kid seems to have "playoff performer" potential written all over him.   

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Until the Canuck franchise adds some more younger "grit", I would be reluctant to trade this asset.   Clearly the team has to make it there first but this kid seems to have "playoff performer" potential written all over him.   

its interesting that Green gave Jake several long looks at LW near the end of the year. I'm hoping that becomes a real thing, a lot of people have noticed (and the stats back it up https://www.icydata.hockey/players/2063/jake-virtanen) that he plays better from there. I get the defensive argument against it, but tbh I think if he's dominating teams from that side he's not the one who'll need to worry about defence. 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its interesting that Green gave Jake several long looks at LW near the end of the year. I'm hoping that becomes a real thing, a lot of people have noticed (and the stats back it up https://www.icydata.hockey/players/2063/jake-virtanen) that he plays better from there. I get the defensive argument against it, but tbh I think if he's dominating teams from that side he's not the one who'll need to worry about defence. 

I agree with the takes on Jake that he’ll develop into a vital physical 3rd-liner at the least. I’m not so sure driving to the net will come naturally for him though as he just doesn’t seem to do it on instinct. 

I’m thinking maybe trying him as a net presence on PP2 could really help him? And also playing with skilled line mates so driving to the net is more relevant than when playing it safe on a defensive line and just dumping the puck on net or in the corner. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, J-P said:

I agree with the takes on Jake that he’ll develop into a vital physical 3rd-liner at the least. I’m not so sure driving to the net will come naturally for him though as he just doesn’t seem to do it on instinct. 

I’m thinking maybe trying him as a net presence on PP2 could really help him? And also playing with skilled line mates so driving to the net is more relevant than when playing it safe on a defensive line and just dumping the puck on net or in the corner. 

I'd like to see a Jake-Petey-Brock line experiment in training camp. Jakes size and ability to get to the net better from the left side might be something to try out. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/14/2019 at 10:05 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to see a Jake-Petey-Brock line experiment in training camp. Jakes size and ability to get to the net better from the left side might be something to try out. 

I'd be eager to see if it would work, but I think Petey and Brock might feel pressure to simplify their game so Jake can follow what they're doing. There's a chance Jake could be the Burrows to their line, but at the same time, Burrows seemed to be able to not only follow what the twins did, but even participate a bit as well. Perhaps Jake could evolve up to that level, but as of now, I'm not sure he thinks the game at an advanced enough level to mesh well with elite players.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd be eager to see if it would work, but I think Petey and Brock might feel pressure to simplify their game so Jake can follow what they're doing. There's a chance Jake could be the Burrows to their line, but at the same time, I Burrows seemed to be able to not only follow what the twins did, but even participate a bit as well. Perhaps Jake could evolve up to that level, but as of now, I'm not sure he thinks the game at an advanced enough level to mesh well with elite players.

I'm wondering if he really has to tho. Brock and Petey have skill and iq to burn, and if Jake has a couple of simple tasks to follow it might work. 

I think Jake can create more space for Petey and Brock, if he's left alone by the defenders he can create problems for the goalie and if someone covers him it makes space for Petey to work his magic. I'm not sure Jake needs to be a rocket surgeon for this to work. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

For sure Green is going to try that combination.  Jake had a taste of playing with those other two guys (on left wing) the final couple games of the season.  Jake needs to work on his fitness still, if he's going to play those minutes.  I believe Jake comes to camp even in better shape that last season, which was quite good.  The carrot has been dangled, and I think Jake is going to grab hold and eat it up.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm wondering if he really has to tho. Brock and Petey have skill and iq to burn, and if Jake has a couple of simple tasks to follow it might work. 

I think Jake can create more space for Petey and Brock, if he's left alone by the defenders he can create problems for the goalie and if someone covers him it makes space for Petey to work his magic. I'm not sure Jake needs to be a rocket surgeon for this to work. 

I can see it working in that sense, but it does limit Boeser and Petey to being essentially a 2-man line to play off each other and not Jake. Another forward that has the mind to keep up with them might be more deadly so that all three can contribute in making plays.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I can see it working in that sense, but it does limit Boeser and Petey to being essentially a 2-man line to play off each other and not Jake. Another forward that has the mind to keep up with them might be more deadly so that all three can contribute in making plays.

Is the game all offence though?  Jake is very good and take-aways, right?  Plus, he's very responsible defensively.  He brings these two important skills to the top line.  He is also a big boy, who can create space for the other two.  Green tried it out at the end of last season, and I see these three as a line going forward.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Is the game all offence though?  Jake is very good and take-aways, right?  Plus, he's very responsible defensively.  He brings these two important skills to the top line.  He is also a big boy, who can create space for the other two.  Green tried it out at the end of last season, and I see these three as a line going forward.  

I'm not sure how well-rounded his defensive game is, but he is good at takeaways at least for sure. I would definitely be down to see how the line works out as it could be a gem, but I'm just letting my natural skepticism show through. I could see a world in which it does work out.

Jake on the left wing with Petey and Boeser  has already been done, tried and didn't work though.

Jake has done everything from losing a ton of weight to hiring a puck handling/skills coach in the summer and the results have always been about the same. What else can he do?

At this point I think the thought of him being a top 6 is almost out the window. Just let him be that 3rd line forward and have anything else be a bonus. If he was drafted in the 2nd round like someone was suggesting, there would be no problem with his development 

Edited by Zhukini