The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Vancouver Canucks 2018-19 season grades: Jake Virtanen

Here at The Canuck Way, we’ll be recapping every player’s season — while handing out grades and examining expectations for next year.

This June will mark five years since the Vancouver Canucks drafted Jake Virtanenwith the sixth overall pick, and we’re still waiting on a breakout year from the 6-foot-1 forward.

The 22-year-old has been under pressure to perform since Travis Green (his former Utica Comets bench boss), was hired to replace Willie Desjardins as head coach after a frustrating 2016-17 season — where Virtanen only played 10 games.

Well, “Big Jake” did finish with career highs in goals (15), and points (25). He also dished out 154 hits and had 37 blocked shots, throwing his weight around and making some big-time plays at both ends of the ice.

Virtanen missed 12 games this season, having suffered a broken rib in February and thus derailing his chances of reaching the 20-goal mark. And so, fans will continue to sit back and hope for that breakout year.

Season grade: C+

He didn’t produce the 20 goals and 40-plus points that many had hoped for, but overall, Virtanen made more progress and is poised to be a key part of this team’s future success. For Virtanen, the breakout season will come if he can simply find some consistency.

Virtanen was goalless in 10 straight games from Nov. 15 to Dec. 4. And from Dec. 22 to March 9, he tallied just one goal over a 21-game span. And yet, Virtanen was still just five goals shy in reaching 20.

RELATED PRODUCT
Vancouver Canucks 19.5" x 31.25" Medallion Door Mat
Buy Now!

But numbers shouldn’t always tell the story. Virtanen’s work ethic was on notice throughout the season, and you can see his desire and hunger to get better every day. Coach Green remained patient with him throughout an up-and-down season.

So consider the inconsistency, injuries and low ice time (just 14:49 per game), it wasn’t at all a disappointing year for Virtanen. Rather, think about some of his highlight reel plays, his big shot and the physical element in his game that the team lacks. All in all, it was a very good — not great nor terrible — year for Big Jake.

Expectations for next season

Virtanen still has time to find his full potential and score 20-plus goals, but if he doesn’t hit the mark in the next two years, the Canucks will have to accept that he’s simply a useful bottom six forward. Nothing more.

But there is good reason to believe Virtanen will finally break out next year. More ice time and opportunities with Bo Horvat and/or Elias Pettersson should do wonders. Coach Green will hopefully cut back on the veterans’ ice time and give Virtanen more minutes in the top six and on the power play.

Virtanen is gradually getting better each year, and you can see his confidence level is high under coach Green. All in all, the former first round pick is coming together and should help this team push hard for a playoff spot next year.

Assuming he’s healthy — and if coach Green gives him more responsibilities — look for Virtanen to score around 25 goals and 40-50 points.

I am not sure if this has been posted yet but here it is.  I though it was fair inits evaluation.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 8:24 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, database I have access to has roughly 8,000 players across seven professional leagues over about 20 years (on average...longer for NHL, shorter for others)....always happy to use a better one if you have it.

That's it? Mine has over 9000 but I am afraid I cannot share it as it is proprietary information. Looks like you will just have to take my word for it, which on anonymous forum clearly holds a lot of weight. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Toews said:

That's it? Mine has over 9000 but I am afraid I cannot share it as it is proprietary information. Looks like you will just have to take my word for it, which on anonymous forum clearly holds a lot of weight. 

Cool, too bad you cannot share though.   It has zero use on a forum (not sure why you would even bring that up, perhaps as you don't share?) but helps with the job and I have no trouble sharing - in fact I open source and share with a number of people (who reciprocate).   Perhaps one day you will share too.   :)   

On 6/12/2019 at 1:35 PM, dpn1 said:

Here at The Canuck Way, we’ll be recapping every player’s season — while handing out grades and examining expectations for next year.

This June will mark five years since the Vancouver Canucks drafted Jake Virtanenwith the sixth overall pick, and we’re still waiting on a breakout year from the 6-foot-1 forward.

The 22-year-old has been under pressure to perform since Travis Green (his former Utica Comets bench boss), was hired to replace Willie Desjardins as head coach after a frustrating 2016-17 season — where Virtanen only played 10 games.

Well, “Big Jake” did finish with career highs in goals (15), and points (25). He also dished out 154 hits and had 37 blocked shots, throwing his weight around and making some big-time plays at both ends of the ice.

Virtanen missed 12 games this season, having suffered a broken rib in February and thus derailing his chances of reaching the 20-goal mark. And so, fans will continue to sit back and hope for that breakout year.

He didn’t produce the 20 goals and 40-plus points that many had hoped for, but overall, Virtanen made more progress and is poised to be a key part of this team’s future success. For Virtanen, the breakout season will come if he can simply find some consistency.

Virtanen was goalless in 10 straight games from Nov. 15 to Dec. 4. And from Dec. 22 to March 9, he tallied just one goal over a 21-game span. And yet, Virtanen was still just five goals shy in reaching 20.

RELATED PRODUCT
Buy Now!

But numbers shouldn’t always tell the story. Virtanen’s work ethic was on notice throughout the season, and you can see his desire and hunger to get better every day. Coach Green remained patient with him throughout an up-and-down season.

So consider the inconsistency, injuries and low ice time (just 14:49 per game), it wasn’t at all a disappointing year for Virtanen. Rather, think about some of his highlight reel plays, his big shot and the physical element in his game that the team lacks. All in all, it was a very good — not great nor terrible — year for Big Jake.

Virtanen still has time to find his full potential and score 20-plus goals, but if he doesn’t hit the mark in the next two years, the Canucks will have to accept that he’s simply a useful bottom six forward. Nothing more.

But there is good reason to believe Virtanen will finally break out next year. More ice time and opportunities with Bo Horvat and/or Elias Pettersson should do wonders. Coach Green will hopefully cut back on the veterans’ ice time and give Virtanen more minutes in the top six and on the power play.

Virtanen is gradually getting better each year, and you can see his confidence level is high under coach Green. All in all, the former first round pick is coming together and should help this team push hard for a playoff spot next year.

Assuming he’s healthy — and if coach Green gives him more responsibilities — look for Virtanen to score around 25 goals and 40-50 points.

I am not sure if this has been posted yet but here it is.  I though it was fair inits evaluation.

Why can't an article about Virtanen at least show a picture of him instead of some playoff disappearing act (and his photo is repeated twice for some odd reason).   Even articles about this player seem to want to troll him.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why can't an article about Virtanen at least show a picture of him instead of some playoff disappearing act (and his photo is repeated twice for some odd reason).   Even articles about this player seem to want to troll him.

The writers at the Canuck Way are, objectively speaking, absolutely braindead.

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, dpn1 said:

RELATED PRODUCT
Buy Now!

Ah....the Canuck Way. The bottom of the barrel for local sports blogging.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

With the acquisition of Miller and the drafting of Podkolzin, and with Pettersson and Horvat also being consistent high-effort, puck-hounding 200-ft players, I am genuinely curious how this will affect Virtanen's game. Everyone is expecting Miller to play alongside Pettersson and Boeser, which would mean we in a few short years we would have a second line of Podkolzin, Horvat, and Virtanen. 

Will Virtanen finally get it by then, and if he does, what could his game look like playing alongside Podkolzin and Horvat?

12 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

With the acquisition of Miller and the drafting of Podkolzin, and with Pettersson and Horvat also being consistent high-effort, puck-hounding 200-ft players, I am genuinely curious how this will affect Virtanen's game. Everyone is expecting Miller to play alongside Pettersson and Boeser, which would mean we in a few short years we would have a second line of Podkolzin, Horvat, and Virtanen. 

Will Virtanen finally get it by then, and if he does, what could his game look like playing alongside Podkolzin and Horvat?

There's definitely more pressure on him now. his level of competition for a top 6 role just went way up. He's not beating our big three, so he has to beat out Pearson, Miller, or Baertschi now. Great to have more internal competition. Podkolzin in 2 years will provide even more of a challenge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 6/23/2019 at 1:05 AM, -AJ- said:

There's definitely more pressure on him now. his level of competition for a top 6 role just went way up. He's not beating our big three, so he has to beat out Pearson, Miller, or Baertschi now. Great to have more internal competition. Podkolzin in 2 years will provide even more of a challenge.

Have we got any confirmation on that story about Jake in Parksville?  Been looking all over our boards and can’t find anything.  

Man I hope Jake can find a way to step into that top 6 RW hole with Pearson and Bo. 

Thats a big line - everyone's over 200 lbs, and all bring physical play and Jake has speed to burn. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Man I hope Jake can find a way to step into that top 6 RW hole with Pearson and Bo. 

Thats a big line - everyone's over 200 lbs, and all bring physical play and Jake has speed to burn. 

I agree. And if he is able to do that, we don't actually have any holes left in our top 6: Miller, Petey, Brock, Pearson, Bo, Jake (and/or maybe Baer). And the bottom 6 is looking pretty solid too.

And if Hughes and OJ progress the way they very well could, and Tram comes back next year without any signs of the regression some apparently think he has undergone, we also don't have any holes in our D either.

And If Markie continues his play from the second half of last season and Demko continues to progress, I think the trolls are going to have a pretty tough go of it very soon. I see us winning a lot more games starting this season and continuing into the postseason.

Note to self: must remember to get my Canucks for the Cup bet down soon, before the Vegas oddsmakers realize what has been happening with the Canucks and shorten the odds.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I agree. And if he is able to do that, we don't actually have any holes left in our top 6: Miller, Petey, Brock, Pearson, Bo, Jake (and/or maybe Baer). And the bottom 6 is looking pretty solid too.

And if Hughes and OJ progress the way they very well could, and Tram comes back next year without any signs of the regression some apparently think he has undergone, we also don't have any holes in our D either.

And If Markie continues his play from the second half of last season and Demko continues to progress, I think the trolls are going to have a pretty tough go of it very soon. I see us winning a lot more games starting this season and continuing into the postseason.

Note to self: must remember to get my Canucks for the Cup bet down soon, before the Vegas oddsmakers realize what has been happening with the Canucks and shorten the odds.

don't forget our own Russian Tkachuk coming as well in Podkolin (no pressure kid :P)

Tryamkin and Myers certainly bring some much needed size to the d group. Lots of grit up front as early as this year and even more with Podz. I like whats being built. We may not be a scoring machine like TO but we're going to make teams pay in our own building in particular. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

don't forget our own Russian Tkachuk coming as well in Podkolin (no pressure kid :P)

Tryamkin and Myers certainly bring some much needed size to the d group. Lots of grit up front as early as this year and even more with Podz. I like whats being built. We may not be a scoring machine like TO but we're going to make teams pay in our own building in particular. 

Leafs are built like the Canucks use to be....good regular season.....Canucks are getting built like the Hawks and kings....we might get a wild card spot but our boys will shine in the playoffs like the Hawks and kings ha Good time to be a Canucks fan :towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

If the Canucks don't use him in a trade

I have a feeling with the Canucks getting bigger, that Jake may play bigger, knowing there is some other big guys on the team now, plus playing for  a new contract, maybe maturing, seeing guys be moved,, other guys coming up and seeing younger guys out perform him, that he may really put the effort in and drive to the net now and be more effective

• Upvote 3

On 6/23/2019 at 1:05 AM, -AJ- said:

He also has to beat out Leivo and Pearson this season, who I think Green really likes. Needs to take a big step this year.  

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He also has to beat out Leivo and Pearson this season, who I think Green really likes. Needs to take a big step this year.  

Indeed, I mentioned Pearson. I personally think Virtanen already has an edge on Leivo, but Green might not yet see it that way.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Indeed, I mentioned Pearson. I personally think Virtanen already has an edge on Leivo, but Green might not yet see it that way.

Coming into camp in phenomenal shape will probably go along way with Green, All three are probably hungry for a top 6 role so should be interesting. Would like to see Virtanen take it and play meaner this year.   

• Cheers 1