The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

39 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Ferland is going to create Havoc, room for Petey and Boeser imho. Just as he did for Monohan and Gaudreau in calgary. That and make sure no one even looks at Petey the wrong way going forward

Ferland Petey Boeser

Miller Bo Pearson

Baer Sutter/Guadette JV

Roussel Beagle Motte

Goldobin, Leivo

Where is Loui?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree.  Jake just doesn't seem to have that nasty aspect to his game.  I don't think that's something that can be easily be changed in a player.

Still, I think he is becoming a solid 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd from time to time.  Love his speed/physical style and he appears to be adapting to the 2-way game.

Ferland had the same pts when he was 24yrs that Jake had (22yrs) last season.  The difference being the nastiness.  That's why folks are thinking about Ferland in the top 6, rather than Virtanen.

The series against Calgary showed me all I had to see of Ferland. He was willing to do what it took to be there. His play got him the TOI he needed to establish his NHL game. A lot to respect in that. Excited to see him play as a Canuck. 

4 hours ago, Toews said:

I would wager that many of the people who the NHL employs to count stats are not necessarily people who have played the game at a high level. 

I cannot speak for every building but in general, know this to be a correct statement.   I also believe it to be pretty inconsistent between buildings but it is what those of us stats junkies have to use.    But, I will give you that you raise a very valid point.   

In an interview a guy from the Athletic in Calgary said that the year before Calgary traded him he got to 20 goals but didn't score in the last 20 games.  He said he had a tendency to disappear for long periods.  We hold in our heads that playoff series but that is just 5 or 6 games.  It is physically impossible for him to keep that style up for 80+ games.  Don't forget that when he doesn't do it every night.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

In an interview a guy from the Athletic in Calgary said that the year before Calgary traded him he got to 20 goals but didn't score in the last 20 games.  He said he had a tendency to disappear for long periods.  We hold in our heads that playoff series but that is just 5 or 6 games.  It is physically impossible for him to keep that style up for 80+ games.  Don't forget that when he doesn't do it every night.

I'm still pumped about the signing, but you are right he can come and go as the season wears on... But I also think that is due to how he throws his body around out there. Guys play injured all the time but Ferlands style of play would be even harder to play through and try and keep providing offense the way he has to (net front presense, crashing the crease, etc). Take the good with the bad with him, but he is what Lucic was back in 2011. Gritty in your face powerful forward who puts up 40 points a year and is a physical deterrent. I love the sand paper on this team now.

And as @RowdyCanuck was stating this should give Jake a better boost to try and be more physical. He is not a fighter but when he has the support he definitely plays more aggressive. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Same with in Carolina. I read an article from the middle of the season saying they had to re-sign him. 39 games in he had 13 goals and 25 points. 

After that article he dropped off considerably - 4 goals 15 points in 32 games. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is a statistically proven incorrect statement.   He has hit more often since in a per game and per 60 basis.    Why invent stuff?

Quality > Quantity

Also, his ice time has increased, so naturally there are more hits total.

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree.  Jake just doesn't seem to have that nasty aspect to his game.  I don't think that's something that can be easily be changed in a player.

Still, I think he is becoming a solid 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd from time to time.  Love his speed/physical style and he appears to be adapting to the 2-way game.

Ferland had the same pts when he was 24yrs that Jake had (22yrs) last season.  The difference being the nastiness.  That's why folks are thinking about Ferland in the top 6, rather than Virtanen.

I think Jake doesn’t realize how powerful he is yet that’s the issue. When you can consistently level guys, you don’t need to be mean, it’s actually just becomes fun doing it. I played football and loved hitting but it wasn’t anger that made me enjoy a big hit, it was legitimately just the fun of leveling and guy and knowing he was intimidated. The idea that you have to be some mean ogre to be physical is actually false. What he’ll learn from Ferland is that hitting is “one of your tools” to help the team win and create space. Not that you have to by hyped up on AC/DC before every game and want to kill someone. The guys who want to kill people, guys with tempers are usually the dirty guys. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I cannot speak for every building but in general, know this to be a correct statement.   I also believe it to be pretty inconsistent between buildings but it is what those of us stats junkies have to use.    But, I will give you that you raise a very valid point.   

There was a thing years ago about one of our old backups (Brochu?) coming back to town and asking the current backup (Auld?) if they were still screwing him on the shots against (and therefore Save% obviously)

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah I agree he is becoming a pretty decent 3rd liner. You love his speed & strength through the middle of the ice, very good possesion player.

Just wish he could bring a bit more offensively, if he was more deadly he'd be a heck of a player even if he was still only a middle 6 forward. Hopefully this year he can take another step. 

I think Ferland is a better complimentary player than Jake, Jake just seems to play his game wherever he plays. No doubt at this point that Ferland is better, but he's been a 20g / 40p player, can Jake be that at some point? Sure he can. And he's move so much better.

10 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Look at how Jake has had his best season so far with Rooster....now add Ferland and Miller....I'm pumped to see him play his game this season...Jake finally has the players around him to encourage him to play his game and build his confidence....this is how you develop a pwf/ nasty young player.  Loving this team more then ever ha Jake has a nasty side but his not a fighter....Also very few young guys can handle being the only guy with a target on his back... Mark my words we are all in for a treat this season! 

I hope your right. But I'm really not expecting a massive jump. The strong point of his game have always been the same, and he's consistently made gradual progress. Last year he started off really strong then consistency was an issue again in the second half.

I expect him to be better for sure, how much is the question. With the FWD's we've brought in to play in the top 6, I hope JV can establish himself this year as a really strong player on our 3rd line. Maybe get 35ish points & improve on his goal total from last year. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I hope your right. But I'm really not expecting a massive jump. The strong point of his game have always been the same, and he's consistently made gradual progress. Last year he started off really strong then consistency was an issue again in the second half.

I expect him to be better for sure, how much is the question. With the FWD's we've brought in to play in the top 6, I hope JV can establish himself this year as a really strong player on our 3rd line. Maybe get 35ish points & improve on his goal total from last year. 

I think Jake now knows what type of shape he has to be in to play like he did at the first half.

consistency will come once Green stops bouncing him up and down the line up and also I might add doesn't help he plays with Sutter...( looks good with Bo though) now with the guys we brought in hopefully he can stick in the top six and Green won't have the spread out his teams talent as much cause when Jake was in the top six the Sutter line went flat....Jake knows how to enter the O zone and his style of play is why I think Jake got pushed back down...

the games I watched he showed up the most part and for a player that plays his style I can't think of one that shows up every single night....even iggy took nights off... Also the second half all young guys went flat for spells......

It's funny, I just read through all the JT Miller posts, and a common theme was people saying how having Miller on the team should help motivate Virtanen to play a more a physical game.  Now everyone's saying the same thing in response to signing Ferland (including Benning)!  I'm can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that more than one CDC poster said the same thing when we signed Roussell. I really don't think it bodes well for a player being ever being consistently physical when the first thing people think when we acquire a player who really does play with some edge is that maybe he'll be the one to motivate Virtanen to play a physical game!

8 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think Jake doesn’t realize how powerful he is yet that’s the issue. When you can consistently level guys, you don’t need to be mean, it’s actually just becomes fun doing it. I played football and loved hitting but it wasn’t anger that made me enjoy a big hit, it was legitimately just the fun of leveling and guy and knowing he was intimidated. The idea that you have to be some mean ogre to be physical is actually false. What he’ll learn from Ferland is that hitting is “one of your tools” to help the team win and create space. Not that you have to by hyped up on AC/DC before every game and want to kill someone. The guys who want to kill people, guys with tempers are usually the dirty guys. 

Exactly, kronwall is a great example of a player using his skills to be effective without being mean.

Size doesn't matter either. Learn to hit and you take down the big guys.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

Quality > Quantity

Also, his ice time has increased, so naturally there are more hits total.

Jake was the biggest hitter in terms of quality on the team. Lol. His hits weren't like Motte's or Beagle's where they got some body contact. He ran through people. 

• Upvote 1