The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree.  Jake just doesn't seem to have that nasty aspect to his game.  I don't think that's something that can be easily be changed in a player.

Still, I think he is becoming a solid 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd from time to time.  Love his speed/physical style and he appears to be adapting to the 2-way game.

Ferland had the same pts when he was 24yrs that Jake had (22yrs) last season.  The difference being the nastiness.  That's why folks are thinking about Ferland in the top 6, rather than Virtanen.

I think Jake doesn’t realize how powerful he is yet that’s the issue. When you can consistently level guys, you don’t need to be mean, it’s actually just becomes fun doing it. I played football and loved hitting but it wasn’t anger that made me enjoy a big hit, it was legitimately just the fun of leveling and guy and knowing he was intimidated. The idea that you have to be some mean ogre to be physical is actually false. What he’ll learn from Ferland is that hitting is “one of your tools” to help the team win and create space. Not that you have to by hyped up on AC/DC before every game and want to kill someone. The guys who want to kill people, guys with tempers are usually the dirty guys. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Hydration 3
4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I cannot speak for every building but in general, know this to be a correct statement.   I also believe it to be pretty inconsistent between buildings but it is what those of us stats junkies have to use.    But, I will give you that you raise a very valid point.   

There was a thing years ago about one of our old backups (Brochu?) coming back to town and asking the current backup (Auld?) if they were still screwing him on the shots against (and therefore Save% obviously)

• Hydration 1
11 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree.  Jake just doesn't seem to have that nasty aspect to his game.  I don't think that's something that can be easily be changed in a player.

Still, I think he is becoming a solid 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd from time to time.  Love his speed/physical style and he appears to be adapting to the 2-way game.

Ferland had the same pts when he was 24yrs that Jake had (22yrs) last season.  The difference being the nastiness.  That's why folks are thinking about Ferland in the top 6, rather than Virtanen.

Yeah I agree he is becoming a pretty decent 3rd liner. You love his speed & strength through the middle of the ice, very good possesion player.

Just wish he could bring a bit more offensively, if he was more deadly he'd be a heck of a player even if he was still only a middle 6 forward. Hopefully this year he can take another step. 

I think Ferland is a better complimentary player than Jake, Jake just seems to play his game wherever he plays. No doubt at this point that Ferland is better, but he's been a 20g / 40p player, can Jake be that at some point? Sure he can. And he's move so much better.

10 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Look at how Jake has had his best season so far with Rooster....now add Ferland and Miller....I'm pumped to see him play his game this season...Jake finally has the players around him to encourage him to play his game and build his confidence....this is how you develop a pwf/ nasty young player.  Loving this team more then ever ha Jake has a nasty side but his not a fighter....Also very few young guys can handle being the only guy with a target on his back... Mark my words we are all in for a treat this season! 

I hope your right. But I'm really not expecting a massive jump. The strong point of his game have always been the same, and he's consistently made gradual progress. Last year he started off really strong then consistency was an issue again in the second half.

I expect him to be better for sure, how much is the question. With the FWD's we've brought in to play in the top 6, I hope JV can establish himself this year as a really strong player on our 3rd line. Maybe get 35ish points & improve on his goal total from last year. 

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I hope your right. But I'm really not expecting a massive jump. The strong point of his game have always been the same, and he's consistently made gradual progress. Last year he started off really strong then consistency was an issue again in the second half.

I expect him to be better for sure, how much is the question. With the FWD's we've brought in to play in the top 6, I hope JV can establish himself this year as a really strong player on our 3rd line. Maybe get 35ish points & improve on his goal total from last year. 

I think Jake now knows what type of shape he has to be in to play like he did at the first half.

consistency will come once Green stops bouncing him up and down the line up and also I might add doesn't help he plays with Sutter...( looks good with Bo though) now with the guys we brought in hopefully he can stick in the top six and Green won't have the spread out his teams talent as much cause when Jake was in the top six the Sutter line went flat....Jake knows how to enter the O zone and his style of play is why I think Jake got pushed back down...

the games I watched he showed up the most part and for a player that plays his style I can't think of one that shows up every single night....even iggy took nights off... Also the second half all young guys went flat for spells......

It's funny, I just read through all the JT Miller posts, and a common theme was people saying how having Miller on the team should help motivate Virtanen to play a more a physical game.  Now everyone's saying the same thing in response to signing Ferland (including Benning)!  I'm can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that more than one CDC poster said the same thing when we signed Roussell. I really don't think it bodes well for a player being ever being consistently physical when the first thing people think when we acquire a player who really does play with some edge is that maybe he'll be the one to motivate Virtanen to play a physical game!

8 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think Jake doesn’t realize how powerful he is yet that’s the issue. When you can consistently level guys, you don’t need to be mean, it’s actually just becomes fun doing it. I played football and loved hitting but it wasn’t anger that made me enjoy a big hit, it was legitimately just the fun of leveling and guy and knowing he was intimidated. The idea that you have to be some mean ogre to be physical is actually false. What he’ll learn from Ferland is that hitting is “one of your tools” to help the team win and create space. Not that you have to by hyped up on AC/DC before every game and want to kill someone. The guys who want to kill people, guys with tempers are usually the dirty guys. 

Exactly, kronwall is a great example of a player using his skills to be effective without being mean.

Size doesn't matter either. Learn to hit and you take down the big guys.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, D-Money said:

Quality > Quantity

Also, his ice time has increased, so naturally there are more hits total.

Jake was the biggest hitter in terms of quality on the team. Lol. His hits weren't like Motte's or Beagle's where they got some body contact. He ran through people. 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, nzan said:

There was a thing years ago about one of our old backups (Brochu?) coming back to town and asking the current backup (Auld?) if they were still screwing him on the shots against (and therefore Save% obviously)

I was screwed that way in every building I ever played in........:bigblush:

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is a statistically proven incorrect statement.   He has hit more often since in a per game and per 60 basis.    Why invent stuff?

To perpetuate the false narrative (of course).  The media invents stuff in order to tantalize and stir up controversy with the intent of selling advertising and certain sheeple just parrot the stuff in order to sound like they are in the know.  That accounts for much of the weird statements here on CDC.  Go Canucks Go!

• Hydration 2
3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

To perpetuate the false narrative (of course).  The media invents stuff in order to tantalize and stir up controversy with the intent of selling advertising and certain sheeple just parrot the stuff in order to sound like they are in the know.  That accounts for much of the weird statements here on CDC.  Go Canucks Go!

Well said.

• Thanks 2
36 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Or even Ohlund, he wasn’t a fighter or mean but he could sure hit with the best of them. 

He got Iginla off his game with borderline hits and answered the bell by fighting him, so while not a fighter he didn’t shy away. 

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Perhaps nastiness is the incorrect word in this case.  Truculence is better.  Other players do not take kindly to getting hit; especially if the hit is questionable, or they get hurt.  The chance of a hit turning to a fight is always there.  Guys like Kromwall are not afraid to stand up to any response to his hits.  Players that continuously lay out bone crunching hits live on the edge and have to be ready for any kind of reaction from other players.

I haven't seen many of those big, thunderous hits that Jake used to do and I'm not sure why that is.  Could be related to the suspension; or maybe he was told to back off until he is more developed.  So far we haven't seen much 'fight' in Jake, but he will need to learn to stand up for himself if he wants to "have fun' hitting other players.

• Upvote 1

Jake is still getting lots of hits, he's just not out of control like he was in his first season.  That was something the coaching staff was asking him to work on.

Edited by dpn1
  • Hydration 1