The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You are the new aged hockey fan and the mentality sickens me as a fan of the old rough and tough style of my favorite sport.  "Self control".  How about man up and stick up for yourself once in awhile, especially if you're gonna act like a tough guy when the refs get in the middle.

And what clean hit?  Jake pushed someone from behind in to the boards..it wasn't vicious but it wasn't  clean either.

He challenged him again later on and jake refused.   

Coach says OKAY you can have some top line minutes just "don't do anything that makes me regret putting you there" just a thought.  

• Upvote 2

Speaking of self-control. Did you see the France versus Wales quarter finals in the Rugby World Cup. France was playing fantastic, then just before half time a French forward had no self-control and elbowed a Welsh player right in the head. Red Card. France down to only fourteen players for the whole second half. They had been winning 19-10 at this point. Final score, virtually on the last play of the game, France, still at 19, Wales 20.  At top level sports, including NHL hockey, you can play "tough" without playing "dumb" by losing control.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't buy that Green wouldn't want him fighting, we're not asking him to be an enforcer but don't back down when challenged with you're down.  Like I said, on that very play Detroit almost made it 3-0 later on the play - if the Canucks lost the game the optics would be much different.  Ferland could've stepped up too.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If you're not a fighter, don't act like one.  Jake likes to push and shove, and beaks' off when the refs are in the middle, but when he gets challenged by someone he backs down.  It's embarrassing

There's a difference between fighting and getting under the skin of the opposition. One gives 2 players a 5 minute major with a reaction that could be for or against depending on how the fight went. The other creates a reaction from the other team, which is what Jake did.

That being said, he probably rallied the Rangers at the wrong time but it is a risk anyone like that takes, whether we're talking Burrows, Marchand, or whomever. I think what Jake's doing is the right idea.... but his timing could be better at times. lol

But, overall, I think there are a lot more players who agitate these days more than actually fight, and sometimes that can cause even more of a reaction from the other team than had said player just fought. Just an observation. Not fighting might actually be a strategy here.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why do some assume Jake is a fighter?

Did ok here.  Again, not asking to be a goon but when you're team is down and you're challenged, as a energy guy you should accept.  Pull a Prust and just wrestle him to the ground if you think you're overmatched.

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

If you're not a fighter, don't act like one.  Jake likes to push and shove, and beaks' off when the refs are in the middle, but when he gets challenged by someone he backs down.  It's embarrassing

That sounds like a Rat I know, plays for BOS

We don't need Jake to drop the mitts every game but we need him finishing his checks and pushing back when challenged and he has been doing that. Him and Svetch would have fought if not for the babysitting refs. I like how Jake is drawing penalties for us. He's got more breathing room now with our added toughness. I think his fighting rate is a bit below Dorsett's. He should save the big boys for Ferland or Myers.

This is why I would like a bonafide fighting forward as our extra forward instead of LE. Someone to always answer the bell.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

question mark wtf GIF

He goes under the skin of our opponents and drawing penalties. If he would take senseless fights, you would complain why he take stupid penalties and give our opponent an advantage. What about if TG have said something like this to him? "Finish your bodycheks, push and shove your opponents, go under their skin! But don't take stupid penalties for senseless fights."

TG wouldn't give him playing time on the 2nd line with Bo, if he doesn't like what he has saw from him in the last games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

No I wouldn't complain if he stood up for himself once and awhile.  If you go around laying big hits, sometimes you have to answer the bell, and if you dont sometimes one of your teammates will have to for you  and that's not right. 

Coach green would love to see Jake drop his gloves. And I never said anything about his ice time or what green thinks. 

But it makes no sense to drop the gloves, if you can get a advantage through a penaltycall against your opponent. Virtanen will drop the gloves during this season, but at the right time and at the right place. So far in this season, we haven't need a fight for a hit revenge or a teammate push.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

No I wouldn't complain if he stood up for himself once and awhile.  If you go around laying big hits, sometimes you have to answer the bell, and if you dont sometimes one of your teammates will have to for you  and that's not right. 

Coach green would love to see Jake drop his gloves. And I never said anything about his ice time or what green thinks. 

Does Marchand answer the bell; does Matt Tkatchuk?  I hope Jake turns into a big jumbo sized RAT.  He would be perfect in that role.  Skill, size, can play top minutes.  Go RAT Jake.  Go RAT.  

• Haha 2

On 10/23/2019 at 12:18 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Why do some assume Jake is a fighter? Because he's got good size? I'm sure he would drop the gloves if he got pi**ed off enough, and it was close with Svech, but the refs jumped in before anything could happen. Why sit in the box for 5 minutes when you don't have to? If anything, good job on Jake for distracting Svech, and getting him frustrated. Him and Roussel are going to pi** off a lot of opponents ih the playoffs :)

The older Svech seems to have some ferocity... Good for him. He's been marinating so long in the AHL.

13 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Another clueless reply and two more bad examples

Does Matt Tkachuck answer the bell?  Like really?  How about going after one of the leagues best defenceman game after game, and then defending himself against 6'4 220 Brayden McNabb because of it?  I even remember hearing that he told one of his teammates that he would handle the job himself, and to not worry about sticking up for him.  That is literally the definition of answering the bell

Brad Marchand the best rat of this era.  A cup to his name and scores 95 points a season.  How about we just keep him out of this discussion for now

It’s clear some posters here are not willing to accept the fact Jake was our best choice at 6.  He’s turning into a dog on bone RAT.  No the Wee Willie and Peewee Ehlers, who only answer the PAY ME WAY TOO MUCH MONEY bell, so I can float around and have pretty hair.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

21 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Another clueless reply and two more bad examples

Does Matt Tkachuck answer the bell?  Like really?  How about going after one of the leagues best defenceman game after game, and then defending himself against 6'4 220 Brayden McNabb because of it?  I even remember hearing that he told one of his teammates that he would handle the job himself, and to not worry about sticking up for him.  That is literally the definition of answering the bell

Brad Marchand the best rat of this era.  A cup to his name and scores 95 points a season.  How about we just keep him out of this discussion for now

Except Marchand is a legitimate comparison here, obviously not in terms of points but in terms of exactly what you are talking about with answering the bell. Truth is he doesn't most of the time.

I get it though: you are a meat and potatoes guy living in the 90's.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1