The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Nice to see Jake playing well and producing. I get the impression that Bo likes playing with him as well. Virtanen's speed enables Bo to play a more 'off the rush' type game, which I think is where Bo is at his best. He's always been a good 'counterattack' type player, and having a speedy, rush-player like Virtanen to work with is paying dividends right now. 

Hopefully he can keep it up. 

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Made the NHL when he clearly shouldn't have.  Check

Showed up to camp out of shape once. Check

Showed up out of shape again this year. Check

Baertschi, Gaudette etc sent down despite showing 100% desire to play.  Check.

Can't do much of anything or produce in the bottom six. Check

Here Jake you can play with Bo Horvat now.  Check?

I've never seen such a baby-fed chance at success as this one.  He better not screw it up by showing up with piss poor efforts.   Let's go

You have hated JV from the start. 

1. We all agree he was placed into the NHL early and bouncing around between the NHL, AHL and that Jrs comp Jake looked over coached. It hurt him and his development. What is your point?

2. That was a rookie mistake him trying to get bigger and he did it wrong. It was his second year. A few players have had that problem, Boeser included. Get over it.

3. We do not now what the goals that Green set for Jake in the off season. You assumed it. Green and Jake both stated he just missed it but tough love Green made him pay.

4. Baertschi floundered on the third line in Calgary. Why did you want him to start the season there? JB said he was afraid to get him so he got sent down to get his confidence.

5. Green trusts JV more than Gaudette. Despite being called all sorts of things JV has been consistent in his D assignment and in the Blues game was relied on to help keep us afloat.

6. He has been solid as a third liner. Now he has been playing well with Bo. What's the problem? He is forechecking. This has been a good year for him so far, 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay?  I never mentioned anything about any of that either.    Stop repeating the same thing over and over again you are annoying as hell , dude.  

Jakes been scoring, I'm happy about it believe it or not.  He also fired about 6 passes behind or in front of his teammates and had a few turnovers.  If he doesn't cut that out he'll be off that line 

I agree with the bolded. 

As for the turnovers, yes true. He has also caused the other teams to cough up the puck and has won board battles that lead to possession. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He also fired about 6 passes behind or in front of his teammates and had a few turnovers.  If he doesn't cut that out he'll be off that line 

this is exactly what I noticed and it worries me.. mentioned it in the game thread and it was prolly closer to 10.. it might be hard to pick out in a 7 goal domination but his game tape might not be flattering

I want so bad for JV to turn into a beast & use all his skills confidently, but I'm not sure how much leash he has. hopefully Green gives him a long look with Bo, the team is at least scoring goals & winning some games right now.. 

5 hours ago, FaninMex said:

You have hated JV from the start. 

1. We all agree he was placed into the NHL early and bouncing around between the NHL, AHL and that Jrs comp Jake looked over coached. It hurt him and his development. What is your point?

2. That was a rookie mistake him trying to get bigger and he did it wrong. It was his second year. A few players have had that problem, Boeser included. Get over it.

3. We do not now what the goals that Green set for Jake in the off season. You assumed it. Green and Jake both stated he just missed it but tough love Green made him pay.

4. Baertschi floundered on the third line in Calgary. Why did you want him to start the season there? JB said he was afraid to get him so he got sent down to get his confidence.

5. Green trusts JV more than Gaudette. Despite being called all sorts of things JV has been consistent in his D assignment and in the Blues game was relied on to help keep us afloat.

6. He has been solid as a third liner. Now he has been playing well with Bo. What's the problem? He is forechecking. This has been a good year for him so far, 

Totally agree.  Jake is playing at the level now we have been hoping for since his draft.  It's okay (IMO) to criticize our guys when it's deserved.  However, when we were (are) wrong about a guy shouldn't we (as a true fan) be extremely happy we were wrong?  I was wrong about Jake.  He's turned into an important part of our winning team.  And I'm friggin' happy I was wrong!  

Next on the Alf was wrong (again) list is Loui.  Go Loui Go!!!:towel:

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Good game by Jake, still some bad passes and giveaways,  but looking better

As a fan i want him to succeed as a canuck........

I am wondering if they showcasing him like Cody Hodgson???

To be honest, a lot of players on the team had bad passes. I did watch the whole game and although there were some missed passes and bad reads, the stat line shows that he has more takeaways which means he has more positive than negative. And even Bb6 had bad passes.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

this is exactly what I noticed and it worries me.. mentioned it in the game thread and it was prolly closer to 10.. it might be hard to pick out in a 7 goal domination but his game tape might not be flattering

I want so bad for JV to turn into a beast & use all his skills confidently, but I'm not sure how much leash he has. hopefully Green gives him a long look with Bo, the team is at least scoring goals & winning some games right now.. 

Or we can accept that he likely tops out with what we see from him now. More was hoped for but expecting more at this point is mostly wishful thinking. He has flashes but plenty of players do too. We're always going to be left wanting more because of his draft position but i'll take a 3rd liner over nothing.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Or we can accept that he likely tops out with what we see from him now. More was hoped for but expecting more at this point is mostly wishful thinking. He has flashes but plenty of players do too. We're always going to be left wanting more because of his draft position but i'll take a 3rd liner over nothing.

Yes we cannot change history now (no matter how we try)

But 

If we ever trade him, I hope it is for a defenceman, (we have forwards)

How many would have approved the trade for Regula yesterday for Jake?

Brenda Perlini is very similar to Jake, and from the same draft as Jake

19 yr old Regula is a 6-4 smart,RHD mobile, two-way defender with top-four upside at the NHL level. He was somewhat buried in his second season playing for the London Knights, behind the likes of Evan Bouchard and Adam Boqvist  and is now a co captain, that suffered a concussion this year

Edited by ba;;isticsports

If Jake sticks on the Horvat line, he should put up 20 goals, 40 points.  I'd be pretty happy with that.  When this team starts playing in the playoffs in the next year or 2, he will be a key asset.  Having him and Ferland will drive teams nuts.

6 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Yes we cannot change history now (no matter how we try)

But 

If we ever trade him, I hope it is for a defenceman, (we have forwards)

How many would have approved the trade for Regula yesterday for Jake?

Brenda Perlini is very similar to Jake, and from the same draft as Jake

19 yr old Regula is a 6-4 smart,RHD mobile, two-way defender with top-four upside at the NHL level. He was somewhat buried in his second season playing for the London Knights, behind the likes of Evan Bouchard and Adam Boqvist  and is now a co captain, that suffered a concussion this year

I doubt Chicago would have traded Jake for Regula. Perlini isn’t as physical nor is he as good defensively as Jake. If he isn’t scoring he brings nothing. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, BCNate said:

If Jake sticks on the Horvat line, he should put up 20 goals, 40 points.  I'd be pretty happy with that.  When this team starts playing in the playoffs in the next year or 2, he will be a key asset.  Having him and Ferland will drive teams nuts.

At the same point, ANYONE on out 1st line should be getting 40 pts, or we do not have much scoring

• Upvote 1