The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

17 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I remember watching this interview on Twitter. Funny how Jake haters have the opposite view of Jake compared to rational people. At this point it must be ingrained to just hate on the guy.

These guys are just bashers. Not sure what's gone wrong in their life, but they beat up on Jake, Olli, anyone like Benning on a consistent basis. 

It's pretty pathetic when you think about it. 

Jake is progressing and is getting better every year. He could play on my team every day. 

I guess the bottom line is these haters are trolls. It seems to give them some type of energy that feeds off of people who respond. It's a reflection of their own hatred of themselves. (sorry to say, but it's true) 

The best thing to do is ignore them instead of throwing them under the bridge. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

These guys are just bashers. Not sure what's gone wrong in their life, but they beat up on Jake, Olli, anyone like Benning on a consistent basis. 

It's pretty pathetic when you think about it. 

Jake is progressing and is getting better every year. He could play on my team every day. 

I guess the bottom line is these haters are trolls. It seems to give them some type of energy that feeds off of people who respond. It's a reflection of their own hatred of themselves. (sorry to say, but it's true) 

The best thing to do is ignore them instead of throwing them under the bridge. 

Like you I am happy with Jake's progress. Fans can be overly negative or positive with Virtanen. Bottom line he has to be a solid 3rd line player and any time on the 2nd is bonus and an opportunity for Jake to possibly build into more. He has all the tools to be a 2nd line player but 11 games don't make a season. What I lie about this roster is that Jake has a number of mentors who can play a game that he could copy. Miller, Ferland are the obvious but I would include Pearson and Horvat into the mix.   

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

But, but... what about that turnover, what about fat Jake?  Can we just be happy that he is playing well and cut down some of the negativity in the thread now?  1189 pages in and the usual suspects are STILL on his case at every opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

But, but... what about that turnover, what about fat Jake?  Can we just be happy that he is playing well and cut down some of the negativity in the thread now?  1189 pages in and the usual suspects are STILL on his case at every opportunity.

To hard on their ego's to admit that they just might be wrong about him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The way I see it, Jake has showed maturity this year already.  He started training camp in Travis' dog house, which didn't look great I'll admit, but he actually handled it very well with both the media and on ice.  He's finally growing up, unfortunately it just took longer than most of us would have liked it to.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

No need for anyone to be self righteous. I think most of us have been disappointed in Jake over his first 3-4 years as a Canuck. It's taken him a long time to get to where he is today. He's only gone from okay player to pretty good player over that span, but hopefully he keeps that trajectory going in the right direction. It's perfectly acceptable to change an opinion, as more informaiton is revealed. My opinion went from "he's a bust" to "can't wait to see Jake in the playoffs".

I never liked the pick at #6, but that's what was done, and it really doesn't matter. I'm glad to finally see Jake playing well and producing. He looks happy too, but who wouldn't be playing in the Top 6 on a good team. and producing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

From a psychological standpoint they more than likely have that approach with many things. Probably stems from their own mental health.

#assumptions

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

From a psychological standpoint they more than likely have that approach with many things. Probably stems from their own mental health.

#assumptions

This thread is a catch basin for people with personality issues, which is unfortunate because Virtanen has done admirably, all things considered.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We have seen various threads on Jake over the years, with the posters thinking he had finally broken through... count me among them.

And everytime he regressed back to his lazy style.

Tough to tell if this year will be different... one difference this year is that he is now playing with Bo... who is Captain, and I know Bo holds people to a high standard with his own high level of play.

Let's hope Jake watchs Bo's work effort and gets inspired to put an equal effort in.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Another punish Jake game. 8 minutes of ice time, did nothing that I seen that warranted him sitting pretty much the entire 3rd period. People wonder why he plays timid. Coach gives him no freedom to just play and make mistakes. I hear stories all the time about how Crawford played the Sedins constantly even when they weren't playing well. Because it's better to play, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes. I get the team is in make the playoffs mode but I think we are doing Jake a disservice by giving him an incredibly short leash. He has all the tools to be a playoff beast but no freedom/trust from the coach to make mistakes and learn from them so he plays super passive to avoid mistakes.

"All Jake does is throw the puck on net from a bad angle", yeah cause if he tries to puck handle it's in the back of his mind the coach will bench him for a turnover or a bad play. Crippling any chance for him to make creative plays before he even gets a chance.

I dunno, at this point I am a broken record. Clearly they are seeing things I am not. :(

Love me some Jake, and he’s cleRly an NHL player.  Would we risk trading Jake, who at least can play, for the potential ceiling of Poolparty - even with his bustaroo possibilities?  

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love me some Jake, and he’s cleRly an NHL player.  Would we risk trading Jake, who at least can play, for the potential ceiling of Poolparty - even with his bustaroo possibilities?  

I wouldn't just cause they are a divisional rival. Also cause Jake can at least play bottom 6. It's tough though. Pool party has a lot of potential, great skater and is 6'4. It could be worth the gamble. Not sure either team wants to trade big fast players with some scoring touch to each other though. Easy for it to blow up in either face for a long time to come. Also think I'd rather target a D prospect somewhere instead.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:26 PM, Dekey Pete said:

The way I see it, Jake has showed maturity this year already.  He started training camp in Travis' dog house, which didn't look great I'll admit, but he actually handled it very well with both the media and on ice.  He's finally growing up, unfortunately it just took longer than most of us would have liked it to.

two point night for Jake against the Sharks. Good on him! 

I think he's going to have a great year ahead. Super happy for him, and I hope he keeps playing well with Horvat. 

He's on pace for 41 points this year, and I hope he keeps it up :) 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

two point night for Jake against the Sharks. Good on him! 

I think he's going to have a great year ahead. Super happy for him, and I hope he keeps playing well with Horvat. 

He's on pace for 41 points this year, and I hope he keeps it up :) 

I was out tonight and missed the game,  was he playing with Horvat? Highlights of his goal he was on Sutter's line.

6 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I was out tonight and missed the game,  was he playing with Horvat? Highlights of his goal he was on Sutter's line.

I didn't get to watch the game either. Was just following the boxscore. 

But....two points! 

• Thanks 1