The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

16 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Great post here but I would add I thing regarding why goon culture has vannished, the players themselves (nhlpa I suspect) have weeded it out. 

Well, I am sure, it is a topic, and one that most support.....good point

13 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

You haven't been watching very closely then. He went after Martel for hitting Stecher high and he also was the first guy who asked Matheson to go after the Pettersson hit (both within the last year). Jake wasn't drafted to be a fighter and quite frankly I don't think he has the stones to be one but he's still sticks up for team mates when needed. 

I thought that was Horvat. - in his post game interview he claimed to have invited the fight but got declined.

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I thought that was Horvat. - in his post game interview he claimed to have invited the fight but got declined.

The league has become a league of taking retribution on the other team's top players as a form of vigilante justice.  Guys don't fight, so the retribution is taken out by a cheap shot on the star players.  I was watching a game on the weekend, and a star player got ran with a big hit.  One of the teammates immediately, and after the whistle, went to a star on the hitting team, and roughed him up.  Then, when going off the ice, he yelled at the opponent's bench something about "go for our guys, and we will go for yours."  That's the way of the league now.  The star players are the targets.  The league needs to protect those players, like the NFL tries to do with its QB's.  

Jake is not and will not be a fighter.  Does that mean he shouldn't hit?  Tons of guys throw hits in this league and don't fight.  If he throws a dirty or illegal hit then sure stand up for it.  Motte had the most hits on the team last year.  How many fights did Motte have? Zero from my memory.  Should Jake have to fight because his hits are sometimes bigger?  I say to the other team grow a pair.  It is  a contact sport.  One of the reasons we are seeing less hitting is because if you throw a good one guess what you gotta fight.  I for one want more clean hitting. Fighting should be reserved for players policing the dirty crap.

Jake is being groomed - if some want to call that being gifted opportunities then that's your view.  TG has invested a lot of time on Jake on and off the ice.  I think he see's what we all see and as a coach he is trying to help him get there. TG doesn't seem like the kind of coach who will waste his time if he didn't see progress or hope.

I think this is the make or break year for Jake.  

Edited by Borvat
  • Hydration 2
On 10/27/2019 at 11:50 AM, Alflives said:

Jake is showing he’s matured into a top six winger.  I’m glad JB picked a tough, heavy player and not a Smurf.  

#Leafs miss playoffs. 

Alf. I'm a huge fan of Jake. Always have been and am still rooting for him to break out offensively. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. 

Jake has been playing well recently, but I still want a larger sample size to see if his play is the real deal or not. 

I think people have kind of just 'settled' with Jake, not really having any heavy or huge expectations anymore. And so any indication of a breakthrough is garners a huge response from the fanbase. 

With that being said, I hope he plays well tonight against Florida. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Alf. I'm a huge fan of Jake. Always have been and am still rooting for him to break out offensively. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. 

Jake has been playing well recently, but I still want a larger sample size to see if his play is the real deal or not. 

I think people have kind of just 'settled' with Jake, not really having any heavy or huge expectations anymore. And so any indication of a breakthrough is garners a huge response from the fanbase. 

With that being said, I hope he plays well tonight against Florida. 

Agreed. 

Its entirely possible that these are only flashes of brilliance from a man who has lots of potential but still hasn't shown enough consistency to be a top 6 winger.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

Agreed. 

Its entirely possible that these are only flashes of brilliance from a man who has lots of potential but still hasn't shown enough consistency to be a top 6 winger.  

Looking great again tonight.  Doubters need to accept Jake is now a top six power forward on a winning team.  If you’re truly Canuck’s fans shouldn’t you be happy to be wrong about Jake.  @The 5th Line

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Well that was fun

And I was wrong about Jake.  JB was right, and picked the best player (not a Smurf) in that spot.

id rather be wrong about Jake and have a top six power forward, wouldn’t you? 

You need to accept Jake is a top six power forward on a top team.  It will feel good.  

• Thanks 1

Nice to see Jake playing well and producing. I get the impression that Bo likes playing with him as well. Virtanen's speed enables Bo to play a more 'off the rush' type game, which I think is where Bo is at his best. He's always been a good 'counterattack' type player, and having a speedy, rush-player like Virtanen to work with is paying dividends right now. 

Hopefully he can keep it up. 

• Hydration 3
10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Made the NHL when he clearly shouldn't have.  Check

Showed up to camp out of shape once. Check

Showed up out of shape again this year. Check

Baertschi, Gaudette etc sent down despite showing 100% desire to play.  Check.

Can't do much of anything or produce in the bottom six. Check

Here Jake you can play with Bo Horvat now.  Check?

I've never seen such a baby-fed chance at success as this one.  He better not screw it up by showing up with piss poor efforts.   Let's go

You have hated JV from the start. 

1. We all agree he was placed into the NHL early and bouncing around between the NHL, AHL and that Jrs comp Jake looked over coached. It hurt him and his development. What is your point?

2. That was a rookie mistake him trying to get bigger and he did it wrong. It was his second year. A few players have had that problem, Boeser included. Get over it.

3. We do not now what the goals that Green set for Jake in the off season. You assumed it. Green and Jake both stated he just missed it but tough love Green made him pay.

4. Baertschi floundered on the third line in Calgary. Why did you want him to start the season there? JB said he was afraid to get him so he got sent down to get his confidence.

5. Green trusts JV more than Gaudette. Despite being called all sorts of things JV has been consistent in his D assignment and in the Blues game was relied on to help keep us afloat.

6. He has been solid as a third liner. Now he has been playing well with Bo. What's the problem? He is forechecking. This has been a good year for him so far, 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay?  I never mentioned anything about any of that either.    Stop repeating the same thing over and over again you are annoying as hell , dude.  

Jakes been scoring, I'm happy about it believe it or not.  He also fired about 6 passes behind or in front of his teammates and had a few turnovers.  If he doesn't cut that out he'll be off that line 

I agree with the bolded. 

As for the turnovers, yes true. He has also caused the other teams to cough up the puck and has won board battles that lead to possession. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He also fired about 6 passes behind or in front of his teammates and had a few turnovers.  If he doesn't cut that out he'll be off that line 

this is exactly what I noticed and it worries me.. mentioned it in the game thread and it was prolly closer to 10.. it might be hard to pick out in a 7 goal domination but his game tape might not be flattering

I want so bad for JV to turn into a beast & use all his skills confidently, but I'm not sure how much leash he has. hopefully Green gives him a long look with Bo, the team is at least scoring goals & winning some games right now.. 

5 hours ago, FaninMex said:

You have hated JV from the start. 

1. We all agree he was placed into the NHL early and bouncing around between the NHL, AHL and that Jrs comp Jake looked over coached. It hurt him and his development. What is your point?

2. That was a rookie mistake him trying to get bigger and he did it wrong. It was his second year. A few players have had that problem, Boeser included. Get over it.

3. We do not now what the goals that Green set for Jake in the off season. You assumed it. Green and Jake both stated he just missed it but tough love Green made him pay.

4. Baertschi floundered on the third line in Calgary. Why did you want him to start the season there? JB said he was afraid to get him so he got sent down to get his confidence.

5. Green trusts JV more than Gaudette. Despite being called all sorts of things JV has been consistent in his D assignment and in the Blues game was relied on to help keep us afloat.

6. He has been solid as a third liner. Now he has been playing well with Bo. What's the problem? He is forechecking. This has been a good year for him so far, 

Totally agree.  Jake is playing at the level now we have been hoping for since his draft.  It's okay (IMO) to criticize our guys when it's deserved.  However, when we were (are) wrong about a guy shouldn't we (as a true fan) be extremely happy we were wrong?  I was wrong about Jake.  He's turned into an important part of our winning team.  And I'm friggin' happy I was wrong!  

Next on the Alf was wrong (again) list is Loui.  Go Loui Go!!!:towel:

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Good game by Jake, still some bad passes and giveaways,  but looking better

As a fan i want him to succeed as a canuck........

I am wondering if they showcasing him like Cody Hodgson???

To be honest, a lot of players on the team had bad passes. I did watch the whole game and although there were some missed passes and bad reads, the stat line shows that he has more takeaways which means he has more positive than negative. And even Bb6 had bad passes.

• Upvote 2