The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Everyone is saying how great a game Jake had... from my perspective, NO.

He had several opportunities to take the puck to the net, and didn't.

He had multiple opportunities to make big hits... he only cashed in on a couple.

And he had several opportunities to make passes which would send linemates in the clear and didn't.

Yeah, he did hit the post... ok, but results? 

Maybe we can't expect huge hockey IQ style plays from him, but if he goes to the net when he has a chance and hits everytime he has a chance, he'd be a lot more effective.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

He had multiple opportunities to make big hits... he only cashed in on a couple.

And he had several opportunities to make passes which would send linemates in the clear and didn't.

Maybe we can't expect huge hockey IQ style plays from him, but if he goes to the net when he has a chance and hits everytime he has a chance, he'd be a lot more effective.

I think what everyone is saying, is that this was his best game of the season, not that it was necessarily a "great" game..  Hopefully, he can build off it.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I thnk you are still expecting him too be a 1st line superstar. That ship has sailed. He is a 3rd liner that can fill in with Bo. He is a draft pick that made the NHL.

For the underlined part. I agree that on the rush with QH he was out of position but there were two Blues in the way and QH got the pass through. I wanted him to fight for position there. Other areas he looked good. 

Bolded - I believe the big hits from the first couple years have been coached out of him. I believe that Green does not want a huge crashing hit if it means Jake is out of position and behind the play which was of big concern his first few years. Listening to Green in the post game he said something to the effect that it was a heavy game but not by design. I think he wants hits when they are presented but not as a way of playing. He wants a strong D that is in position and working hard. IMO

Results? Hit the post and do not forget that he almost handcuffed Bennington with a quick shot earlier too. There was another play that looked interesting but do not remember it well. Drive the net more. I agree. I think he needs to keep this pace and his confidence will reach a point later this season and we will see some drives.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Geez. You should change your name to "BuzzKill". You must be a riot at parties. Man. He made some mistakes, sure, but overall he played pretty damn well. I saw the one play where he was coming in off of the left wing and I also felt that he could've cut to the right towards the net. So I'm okay with that. But again, he was one of the most consistent forwards out there and had some great take aways. 

Each to their own, but I think he's progressing very well. 

You can almost count on Jake getting at least one post or cross bar a game. He is putting pucks on net which should give him or line mates some ops. Very happy with his season to date. IMHO Green is bringing him along well. TOI of 10 is what it is until Jake forces more out of his coach. I think that will come as well. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I like what Burkie said about him this morning:   "in a game like the last one, he has to be physical and have at least 6 hits" in order to be effective.  He's getting there...I felt he had a good game despite not crashing and banging a whole lot.  He "saved" some plays for us and was really aware out there.  Like he's waking up.  He kind of reminds me of Edler in being a bit of a sleeper who can lower the boom without warning.  And should more often.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I like what Burkie said about him this morning:   "in a game like the last one, he has to be physical and have at least 6 hits" in order to be effective.  He's getting there...I felt he had a good game despite not crashing and banging a whole lot.  He "saved" some plays for us and was really aware out there.  Like he's waking up.  He kind of reminds me of Edler in being a bit of a sleeper who can lower the boom without warning.  And should more often.

I liked what Bertuzzi had said about a month ago for Virtanen to be effective:

"It takes a little bit of time for him to understand the game and understand his role. I would really like see him focus on seven hits, seven shots. Keep it simple. Seven hits, seven shots. That's all you have to do."

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I would like him to target guys like Wilson, Perron, and Doughty. Guys who initiate hits and heavy plays. Those guys have to be dealt with or they suck the wind out of our sails physically.

In other words be proactive, read the play, know who to respond to and when. Much like Stan Smyl, Dorsett, and Raffi Torres used to do. Maybe Hansen at the beginning of his career. He can't wait for Green to tap him on the shoulder in those instances.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I liked what Bertuzzi had said about a month ago for Virtanen to be effective:

"It takes a little bit of time for him to understand the game and understand his role. I would really like see him focus on seven hits, seven shots. Keep it simple. Seven hits, seven shots. That's all you have to do."

I see what you're getting at.  And loved Bertuzzi's game too.

But, I think there is some revisionist history here, maybe.  Bertuzzi blossomed because: (a) he got a trade that gave him a fresh start (no idea how important this was to his development, but it's there); (b) he got some excellent line-mates: a center who could skate and defend and distribute and Naslund who came of age here with a trade too.  In fact so did Morrison now that I think of it. (c) he took chances, did more than just "power forward" ahead.  

My take on Bertuzzi's comments is that he thinks that Virtanen would be better if he just got simpler, set easier more attainable goals for himself.  Hit X number of times, shoot X number of times.  Sorry, not good enough.

Jake needs what Bert got: team mates he has chemistry with, and a chance to be taken seriously.  Like Bert was. 

Edited by gameburn
  • Upvote 1

Liking his game lately, he's progressing albeit slowly.  As long as he keeps improving his game the icetime and points will follow.  He's getting better hounding the puck defensively but still struggles being in the right position offensively.  His biggest weakness is the mental side, hard to improve but not impossible.  

I know this is blasphemous to suggest but swapping Boeser with Virtanen might be beneficial to both players.  Boeser playing with Horvat and a playmaking winger like Baertschi might have the same success 5v5, I think he'd get the same amount of looks offensively if he's willing to shoot more.  This allows Virtanen to utilize his speed in gaining pucks and entering the zone(hopefully lol), since he likes to be a perimeter shooter Miller the tip in master can take the front of the net.  Boeser and Petey would still play the PP and 3v3 together. 

I know it probably won't happen lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Liking his game lately, he's progressing albeit slowly.  As long as he keeps improving his game the icetime and points will follow.  He's getting better hounding the puck defensively but still struggles being in the right position offensively.  His biggest weakness is the mental side, hard to improve but not impossible.  

I know this is blasphemous to suggest but swapping Boeser with Virtanen might be beneficial to both players.  Boeser playing with Horvat and a playmaking winger like Baertschi might have the same success 5v5, I think he'd get the same amount of looks offensively if he's willing to shoot more.  This allows Virtanen to utilize his speed in gaining pucks and entering the zone(hopefully lol), since he likes to be a perimeter shooter Miller the tip in master can take the front of the net.  Boeser and Petey would still play the PP and 3v3 together. 

I know it probably won't happen lol.

I like the idea of the triple B line but putting JV with Petty would only hurt him.

First that line has a much better JV in Miller.

Second, I do not think Petty has much confidence in JV's O ability. The other night Petty gained control of the puck and lead a 2-1 into the O zone. JV was the second. When Petty saw that it was JV, something about the play changed and it seemed apparent that Petty had no desire to pass it to him. I cannot read Petty's mind and the D was playing the position well. So it is my opinion.

In my opinion to get his O ability going, he needs to score some goals. My idea is to put him on PP2 in the faceoff circle that Ovie stands in and tell him his job is to rip it. Keep it simple. I think with his speed he could help with zone entry or playing fetch into the corners. Put Stetch and Myers to play top. Baer other circle and Sutter or Bo in the middle.

• Cheers 1

I think Jake is a solid middle six forward.  His consistency has improved and his focus is better as well.  He has also improved his ability to win battles along the boards.  I think Jake will continue to improve as he has been getting a little better each year.  This is his year to take a big step forward and be that consistent player everyone wants him to be.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I haven't been able to watch too many Canuck games so far this season. 

How has Jake looked like a top six forward? 

He still appears to make low percentage plays at times (Makes poor angle shots as compared to a pass), his hockey IQ could use some work. However, he's starting to look more noticeable on the ice (Although its only been a  few games) .

Having said that, He's still the physical beast he was projected to be with an amazing shot, tremendous speed and boy can he hit. He has clearly improved. Unfortunately, this new level of game play has only been noticeable from a small portion of games and so we have a small sample size to work with. Will he maintain this consistency to eventually become a top 6 forward is anyone's guess based off of his historical tendency to drink and party (Not sure if this has improved in that aspect). Considering this, when he's on his game, he currently looks like he's  a fringe top 6 forward who could improve to a consistent top 6 forward. He still possesses still the raw physical talent to eventually become a first line player assuming his hockey IQ goes up.

Altogether, he's showing that he can fit into the second line when he's playing well and goes down to the third when he's playing average. We can expect him to improve though.

• Upvote 1