The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Love that 7 hits & 7 shots comment too. That's exactly it.

The more time goes by I just think Jake is what he is. He's had some good games this year, but its really just been the same Jake. Doesn't feel like he's turned a corner.

If Jake can take Berts advice & focus on that I think he could take a significant step, but as long as he's the same Jake I think he's expendable honestly. 

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Love that 7 hits & 7 shots comment too. That's exactly it.

The more time goes by I just think Jake is what he is. He's had some good games this year, but its really just been the same Jake. Doesn't feel like he's turned a corner.

If Jake can take Berts advice & focus on that I think he could take a significant step, but as long as he's the same Jake I think he's expendable honestly. 

You know that right now Jake is exactly the same age Bert was when the Islanders decided that he was expendable, right?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

You know that right now Jake is exactly the same age Bert was when the Islanders decided that he was expendable, right?

I didn't know that exact fact. Thank you for bringing it up.

I hope Jake figures it out, I'm just expressing how I feel. I have been critical of Jake in the past (you can go back the first page here & my reaction to him being our pick) but I hope he works out. I don't put myself being right above the team. 

As far as Jake's play, I think its about the mentality with him. And I just question whether he's figured it out. You can tell Bert is pulling for him, (as am I) and I think his advice is spot on. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Great tidbit of information... thanks. I will continue to be patient with him as well, I still see mad potential.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, Sandro17 said:

He still appears to make low percentage plays at times (Makes poor angle shots as compared to a pass), his hockey IQ could use some work. However, he's starting to look more noticeable on the ice (Although its only been a  few games) .

Having said that, He's still the physical beast he was projected to be with an amazing shot, tremendous speed and boy can he hit. He has clearly improved. Unfortunately, this new level of game play has only been noticeable from a small portion of games and so we have a small sample size to work with. Will he maintain this consistency to eventually become a top 6 forward is anyone's guess based off of his historical tendency to drink and party (Not sure if this has improved in that aspect). Considering this, when he's on his game, he currently looks like he's  a fringe top 6 forward who could improve to a consistent top 6 forward. He still possesses still the raw physical talent to eventually become a first line player assuming his hockey IQ goes up.

Altogether, he's showing that he can fit into the second line when he's playing well and goes down to the third when he's playing average. We can expect him to improve though.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm excited for Jake, I think he can still improve. His hockey IQ has always been the debate, making bad decisions on the ice. But I think compared to the first few seasons, he's improved quite a bit. I think right now, it's consistency with Jake. I didn't watch the game tonight, because I had work, but how did he fare against the Preds? Noticed that he didn't get onto the scoresheet, but was he noticeable in a good way tonight? 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Thanks for sharing that. I'm excited for Jake, I think he can still improve. His hockey IQ has always been the debate, making bad decisions on the ice. But I think compared to the first few seasons, he's improved quite a bit. I think right now, it's consistency with Jake. I didn't watch the game tonight, because I had work, but how did he fare against the Preds? Noticed that he didn't get onto the scoresheet, but was he noticeable in a good way tonight? 

He had like 5 shot in which some were grade A chances and had like 4 hits

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I was listening to an interview on TSN 1040 with Ray Ferarro and he made a comment about something I found interesting.  if a player is a 15 to 20 goal scorer we would be good for a guy like Jake but that means that on 60 games a season he doesn't score any goals.  The question I have now is  what does he contribute during those days Jake doesn't score?  I think Jake has shown so far this year some constancy to his game that hasn't been there in the past.  

I am not particularly worried about how many goals Jake scores. Important no doubt but his play in the ozone is critical. If he can play a heavy game, with speed he will increase the ozone possession time and the offensive chances he and his team mates will get will improve. Jake doesn't have to be another Bertuzzi but I like what Bert has said about Jake's game. IMO both Person and Leivo have maintained their TOI for the same reason as Jake. They play a heavier game with improved possession time. 

Jake has improved every year he has played except in his second year when he went to Utica.  I suspect we will see another year of improvement this year from Jake.  Look forward to see how the season works out for our team and Jake.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I thought that was a great game from Jake last night, did he get read the riot act  or did he put that together last night on his own. I hope he can keep playing that way now!

Don't know what he would have been read the riot act for, did he do something bad recently?

• Cheers 1

If I am not mistaken Jake has one of the highest +/- or has the highest +/- on the team among forwards.  I think Jake is starting to get what he needs to do to be a good middle 6 forward.  I think he is starting to develop some consistency into his game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dpn1 said:

If I am not mistaken Jake has one of the highest +/- or has the highest +/- on the team among forwards.  I think Jake is starting to get what he needs to do to be a good middle 6 forward.  I think he is starting to develop some consistency into his game.

canucks.PNG.3b16d71137ab28d72182ad3eba68f51f.PNG

14 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Welp, he was -3 tonight, just horrible.  didn't Goldobin get neutered for being a defensive liability 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Welp, he was -3 tonight, just horrible.  didn't Goldobin get neutered for being a defensive liability 

Horvat's -9 so far. Worst on the team. Would you say he's a defensive liability?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Bro, did you even see what happened on those four goals he was on the ice for? All of them were 2 on 1s or defensive breakdowns. I don't think it was his or the forwards' fault. And he did have one of the highest +/- if you really want to count that (before this game obviously).

Further, I think he has improved a lot this year and although he has less goals than he had last year at this same moment, his scoring and play has been way more consistent than last year since last year he will score in bunches and will kind of disappear for a few games (and I am a huge supporter). 

His defensive game has always been decent and I think this year is already better. But I think sometimes Green misuses him (i.e. No OT or PP or PK) as he definitely will do better than Leivo (at least playing the point since he is the fastest skater on the team and can catch any turnovers and is decent defensively).