The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

20 hours ago, stawns said:

I do not get why TG is so much harder on Jake than everyone else.  The kid is on pace for 20-25 goals, yet new guys get ice time that he should get.  He's got a very versatile tool box, start utilizing his skill set or trade him so he can grow.

I certainly don't want Jake traded. His game has established a base that he can grow from. As much promise as we saw last year his ability to stick was in question. I don't think that is the case anymore. I would suggest that Green likely does not question Jake's skills as much as his attitude. Consistency night in and night out. Maybe Green is waiting for that time when Jake simply grabs it and can not be denied. He is that close IMO. AT 12- 14 minutes of TOI per game he has the opportunity. I will be surprised if Jake doesn't have a solid run by next February. He still has top 6 potential IMHO. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I certainly don't want Jake traded. His game has established a base that he can grow from. As much promise as we saw last year his ability to stick was in question. I don't think that is the case anymore. I would suggest that Green likely does not question Jake's skills as much as his attitude. Consistency night in and night out. Maybe Green is waiting for that time when Jake simply grabs it and can not be denied. He is that close IMO. AT 12- 14 minutes of TOI per game he has the opportunity. I will be surprised if Jake doesn't have a solid run by next February. He still has top 6 potential IMHO. 

I'd argue Jake is one of the more consistent players on the team

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'd argue Jake is one of the more consistent players on the team

Yes I wouldn't say in any sort of significant way though.

Would love to see him assert himself more physically a lot more.

Ferland has only played 12 games to Virtanen's 23 and Virtanen only has 6 more hits than him.

43 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Still 2nd on the team in hits

If Ferland was playing, he would have more hits than JV.

If Motte was playing, he would have more hits than JV.

If Roussel was playing, he would have more hits than JV.  

Virtanen being second is more due to happenstance of the current lineup rather than anything.

That being said, if he played more like any of the above players, he would be a dominant physical force.  

He needs to realize that he is blessed with his physical size and speed.... if he was slower, he'd be like a Steve Bernier.  If he was smaller, he would just been a Tyler Motte (the little engine that could).  He needs to aggressively forecheck and lay a strong hit every chance he gets.  That will get into the mind of the opposing defensemen.  That split second of hesitation can lead to turnovers and maybe even goals.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Virtanen being second is more due to happenstance of the current lineup rather than anything.

That being said, if he played more like any of the above players, he would be a dominant physical force.  

He needs to realize that he is blessed with his physical size and speed.... if he was slower, he'd be like a Steve Bernier.  If he was smaller, he would just been a Tyler Motte (the little engine that could).  He needs to aggressively forecheck and lay a strong hit every chance he gets.  That will get into the mind of the opposing defensemen.  That split second of hesitation can lead to turnovers and maybe even goals.  

You're bang on with both Ferland and Motte. Their hits-per-game this year are quite a bit above Jake's 1.6 hits-per-game. Roussel obviously hasn't played this year, but surprisingly, he had less than Virtanen at just 1.3 hits-per-game last year. I think Rooster's game is more about energy and pestering opponents than constant hitting.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

44 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You're bang on with both Ferland and Motte. Their hits-per-game this year are quite a bit above Jake's 1.6 hits-per-game. Roussel obviously hasn't played this year, but surprisingly, he had less than Virtanen at just 1.3 hits-per-game last year. I think Rooster's game is more about energy and pestering opponents than constant hitting.

I’d take a healthy player who isn’t often injured over a player who plays less because of injury problems

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I really hope JV gets 25 points and 25 assists this season so we can trade him for someone better. Sigh..

If he gets those numbers he isn't going anywhere. Doubt he gets traded even if he doesn't get them. Since you seem to be in the know..... who do you have in mind that is better and that the team can fit in under the cap??

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he gets those numbers he isn't going anywhere. Doubt he gets traded even if he doesn't get them. Since you seem to be in the know..... who do you have in mind that is better and that the team can fit in under the cap??

Basically, trade away 'inferior' player from team to get superior player from another team.

This is how the trade negotiation works on CDC.

Player sucks

BUT HEY he scored 25 goals, 25 assists.

In exchange, we want Ovechkin AND a sweetener.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Basically, trade away 'inferior' player from team to get superior player from another team.

This is how the trade negotiation works on CDC.

Player sucks

BUT HEY he scored 25 goals, 25 assists.

In exchange, we want Ovechkin AND a sweetener.

Does anyone think there may be a time where JB could get a do over, and get a 6th OA pick for him ?

Edited by ba;;isticsports

On November 23, 2019 at 8:20 PM, shazzam said:

I feel like Jake is becoming less and less physical.

I think that has a lil bit to do with coaching....

there is no pwf or a player that hits like Jake and is a 200 ft player. E kane is the closest and he still gets burns once in awhile. 

I also see Jake is almost scared to throw one of those big hit cause if he mess up once then you know his @$$ is stabled to the bench.....

like @stawns pointed out his one of our more consistent forwards and that comes at a price.

• Upvote 2

On 11/24/2019 at 12:20 AM, Lancaster said:

Virtanen is the only player on the team who doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.........he never gets ceddit for things, there's always a comment that he's doing well "only because of ...............".  The kid is playing well, he's producing and then gets shuffled down the lineup in favour of inferior players.  He must be scratching his head wondering wjat else he can do.  If TG is going to scapegoat him, then move on from Virtanen

• Upvote 2

Just now, stawns said:

Virtanen is the only player on the team who doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.........he never gets ceddit for things, there's always a comment that he's doing well "only because of ...............".  The kid is playing well, he's producing and then gets shuffled down the lineup in favour of inferior players.  He must be scratching his head wondering wjat else he can do.  If TG is going to scapegoat him, then move on from Virtanen

He can do more.  

As what Bertuzzi mentioned, he just needs to focus on getting 7 hits and 7 shots per game. 

The Canucks don't need him to be making passes to another player within their own zone, they don't need him to make trying to make cute little plays in the neutral zone.  

He is such a fast player, he should be going all Jannick Hansen on defensemen.  JV is also such a big and strong player, he should be crashing and banging the net.  

Virtanen's play isn't hurting the team, but he can be so much more.  He needs to stop thinking he's the next Bertuzzi or OV... but realize that he needs to be more like Wilson, Torres or Holmstrom.  Defenseman should be thinking, "Gotta keep my head up, Virtanen is on the ice".  

• Like 1

Just now, Lancaster said:

He can do more.  

As what Bertuzzi mentioned, he just needs to focus on getting 7 hits and 7 shots per game. 

The Canucks don't need him to be making passes to another player within their own zone, they don't need him to make trying to make cute little plays in the neutral zone.  

He is such a fast player, he should be going all Jannick Hansen on defensemen.  JV is also such a big and strong player, he should be crashing and banging the net.  

Virtanen's play isn't hurting the team, but he can be so much more.  He needs to stop thinking he's the next Bertuzzi or OV... but realize that he needs to be more like Wilson, Torres or Holmstrom.  Defenseman should be thinking, "Gotta keep my head up, Virtanen is on the ice".  

of course he can do more, name a player on the Canucks who can't?  People need to stop projecting what they want Jake to be and just enjoy what he's becoming.  He's not going to go out there and hit everything that moves and it's not fair to critisize him for not doing that, it's obviously not his game.  He's a legit top 6 winger, imo, and his number when he gets the chance back that up...........but for whatever reason Green uses him as a whipping boy, demoting him ahead of player who are playing much worse than Virtanen is.

• Upvote 4