The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Great reverse hit by Jake in the third period. Totally ignored by dumbass Randork. Heavy hit. It's exactly what we want. Clean hits.

Looked like he did the same to Neal tonight near the end of the game, although the camera was panning away as it happened.  It made Neal so upset that he went out and ran Tanev's head into the end boards shortly after.

4 hours ago, Timbermen said:

Why does Green and his little PP coach buddy refuse to put Virtanen on the second Pp unit? They've put everyone else from Ericksson to Graovac there. Not one shift the entire season. He has as many points as Leivo and he's had significant first line minutes as well as tons of first and second unit PP time. This has become a bone of contention with me going back to last year when Virtanen scored 15 goals from the 4th line and was still getting crap ice time. This has caused me to hate Green. I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't costing us wins in a tight WC race. I was at the pre-season game against the Sens in Abbotsford, Virtanen was coming of a two goal performance against a stacked Calgary team where he scored on the PP AND had the game winner in overtime. Green wasn't coaching that squad, he was coaching the one in Vancouver at the time. In the Abbotsford game against the Sens , he gave Virtanen about 5 minutes ice time in his hometown in a %^%ing preseason game. If Green has a personal dislike towards Virtanen, he shouldn't let it affect the team. These are the types of things that causes distractions in the dressing room. It would be a shame if the Canucks traded Virtanen for next to nothing because of a coach that's way in over his head in the NHL. A coach thats cost the Canucks a few wins this season already.

What do you propose Virtanen's role is on 2nd PP? A trigger man? Does he have the accuracy on his slapshot to get it on net? If I'm not mistaken, the 2nd PP is designed for crashing the net rather than set plays like the 1st PP. Partly because they have less time to work with to set up and they don't have premium playmakers like Hughes and EP. That's part of the reason why Graovac was put there because he utilizes his big body to go to the net.

2nd PP needs a guy that can protect the puck when he has it, make quick passes, and crash the net in anticipation for a shot. Virtanen doesn't do any of those things very well yet. He is a great forechecker so maybe if 2nd PP decides to dump it in then he can fetch it and get it to a shooter fast? But dump and chase for PP doesn't make sense. They should still go for controlled entry and set up a quick shot for crash and bang.

Virtanen will be a great PKer if he improves his positional play. 

I like Virtanen, I give him credit for improving his play. But it frustrates me that he has all the tools to be an extremely effective player. He has the tools to be our Rat (Marchand). Maybe not quite the high offensive upside that Marchand has now but more like Marchand in his earlier years (20 goals and 40-60 points) playing a chippy style. Virtanen is bigger and faster. 

4 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Im really curious whether JT Miller has had a positive effect on Jake, and what it might hold for the future.  Jake still has more potential and Im wondering if perhaps JT is the guy to help bring that out in him.

Ferland & Roussel will be great mentors as well. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, khay said:

What do you propose Virtanen's role is on 2nd PP? A trigger man? Does he have the accuracy on his slapshot to get it on net? If I'm not mistaken, the 2nd PP is designed for crashing the net rather than set plays like the 1st PP. Partly because they have less time to work with to set up and they don't have premium playmakers like Hughes and EP. That's part of the reason why Graovac was put there because he utilizes his big body to go to the net.

I'm not saying Virtanen is the definite guy for the 2nd PP, but in Junior he was noted for not only his speed and hitting, but also his lethal wrist shot, which we haven't seen nearly as much of in the NHL. I'd like to see him work on his shot accuracy more to regain that from his younger days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, khay said:

2nd PP needs a guy that can protect the puck when he has it, make quick passes, and crash the net in anticipation for a shot. Virtanen doesn't do any of those things very well yet. He is a great forechecker so maybe if 2nd PP decides to dump it in then he can fetch it and get it to a shooter fast? But dump and chase for PP doesn't make sense. They should still go for controlled entry and set up a quick shot for crash and bang.

Virtanen will be a great PKer if he improves his positional play. 

I like Virtanen, I give him credit for improving his play. But it frustrates me that he has all the tools to be an extremely effective player. He has the tools to be our Rat (Marchand). Maybe not quite the high offensive upside that Marchand has now but more like Marchand in his earlier years (20 goals and 40-60 points) playing a chippy style. Virtanen is bigger and faster. 

Here's an idea, lets actually put him on the PP and see what he does well. Ericksson is playing much better the last few games but you're telling me Virtanen can't have any PP time because Ericksson, Leivo, Graovac and Sutter are better at those things? Lets play him there for couple of games and actually prove that.

2 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Here's an idea, lets actually put him on the PP and see what he does well. Ericksson is playing much better the last few games but you're telling me Virtanen can't have any PP time because Ericksson, Leivo, Graovac and Sutter are better at those things? Lets play him there for couple of games and actually prove that.

Eriksson was barely on PP I think. Leivo has shown something. Sutter too, when healthy. Graovac in that short time has shown that he understands his role.

But I agree. JV deserves a longer look. Although, I think JV was tried on PP few times in the past but he just didn't show much. If JV understands how 2nd PP works, he can probably do a much better job. It's all about getting shots in, generate rebounds and/or loose pucks near the net using the extra body. Go to the net, create havoc so your teammate can pick up the loose puck and score. If he does that, I think he will be successful. If he wants to be Boeser of 2nd PP, hang around in the slot area waiting for one timer... well it's probably not gonna come because 2nd PP is barely going to be able to set up. Forecheck, go to the net, use your big body to tie up a defender and engage in a puck battle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

Eriksson was barely on PP I think. Leivo has shown something. Sutter too, when healthy. Graovac in that short time has shown that he understands his role.

But I agree. JV deserves a longer look. Although, I think JV was tried on PP few times in the past but he just didn't show much. If JV understands how 2nd PP works, he can probably do a much better job. It's all about getting shots in, generate rebounds and/or loose pucks near the net using the extra body. Go to the net, create havoc so your teammate can pick up the loose puck and score. If he does that, I think he will be successful. If he wants to be Boeser of 2nd PP, hang around in the slot area waiting for one timer... well it's probably not gonna come because 2nd PP is barely going to be able to set up. Forecheck, go to the net, use your big body to tie up a defender and engage in a puck battle.

Or what if we double stack the middle (someone like Graovac/ Ferland as the net front, Jake as bumper) and then have Eddie feather shot-passes from the point and aim for tips?  Don't have enough sample size to see if he's skilled in tipping but he can probably wreak havoc with his size, help keep pucks in by chasing down rebounds.  That or have Brock on left wall (either shoot or drive with speed), Leivo as bumper and have Gaudette on the right side wall?  Not sure why it wouldn't work to have something like

Ferland/ Graovac
Jake      -       Leivo        -     Gaudette
                      Edler

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Or what if we double stack the middle (someone like Graovac/ Ferland as the net front, Jake as bumper) and then have Eddie feather shot-passes from the point and aim for tips?  Don't have enough sample size to see if he's skilled in tipping but he can probably wreak havoc with his size, help keep pucks in by chasing down rebounds.  That or have Brock on left wall (either shoot or drive with speed), Leivo as bumper and have Gaudette on the right side wall?  Not sure why it wouldn't work to have something like

Ferland/ Graovac
                      Edler

That's the thing, no one has given him the chance to even try. Didn't he play a few times last year and actually got PP goals?

Also, for the PK, I think he can do it but it seems he isn't given a chance either =/

And people are like, other players drafted around him have more goals, but most of those players have like 15/16+ minutes. Also, I don't have a stat but it seems he plays better when he has more minutes.

Edited by Law of Goalies

24 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Ferland/ Graovac
                      Edler

All very very good ideas... but there's one wrinkle. Edler feathering a shot-pass? Edler feathering a puck through traffic?? The moment Edler has the puck on point, he will be mesmerized by the opponent's shin pads and shoot directly at it, sending the puck all the way down the ice!

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, khay said:

All very very good ideas... but there's one wrinkle. Edler feathering a shot-pass? Edler feathering a puck through traffic?? The moment Edler has the puck on point, he will be mesmerized by the opponent's shin pads and shoot directly at it, sending the puck all the way down the ice!

Lol so Stecher to the PP?  or bump Hughes to PP 2 from time to time?