The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 12/1/2019 at 7:23 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Great reverse hit by Jake in the third period. Totally ignored by dumbass Randork. Heavy hit. It's exactly what we want. Clean hits.

Sports net sucks.  Having our home games called by a life long Oiler homer is galling.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, khay said:

All very very good ideas... but there's one wrinkle. Edler feathering a shot-pass? Edler feathering a puck through traffic?? The moment Edler has the puck on point, he will be mesmerized by the opponent's shin pads and shoot directly at it, sending the puck all the way down the ice!

Edler has been the Canucks number 1 D man for a number of years.

Edler has scored 176 power play points in his career so quit with the false narrative he is no good on the power play. It is dumb.

Is Hughes better there? Yes...but he is a phenom. No need to cut Edler down because of it.  :picard:

• Wat 2

13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edler has scored 176 power play points in his career so quit with the false narrative he is no good on the power play. It is dumb.

Is Hughes better there? Yes...but he is a phenom. No need to cut Edler down because of it.  :picard:

That isn't cutting Edler down. Benning admitted publicly that the team had been lacking a true PMD, including trying to trade for PK Subban at the time. Edler is our best defenseman but he was being miscast on the PP. Since Ehrhoff signed with Buffalo, we haven't had a defenseman who can create something consistently on the PP. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Sports net sucks.  Having our home games called by a life long Oiler homer is galling.  

I'll never get the hate Randolf gets around here but I can tell you he's a Canuck fan and not an Oiler homer.

• Upvote 1

So Jake is 15th for even strength TOI and tied for the team lead with even strength goals. Sounds good to me.

I still think he can do more, if given the opportunity, but want to see more urgency out of him still. he is very lackadaisical in his movement, perhaps because he is concentrating on thinking the game the right way

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

:picard:

Edler is the second best option on PP. But it is true that Edler lacks the ability to get shots through. I'm being playful with the word feathering a puck. Because that's not Edler. 

Stop calling people out for saying the truth. Stop calling people out for being playful just because you don't get it. It's rude and ignorant. :picard:

• Wat 2

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Claiming that Edler can neither pass nor shoot, but can only hit opponents' shin pads with the puck most certainly is cutting him down.

During Ehrhoff's tenure here, his points per game production was virtually identical to Edler's, while his power play points per game was slightly higher than Edler's.

And of course Edlers's career power play points per game is higher than Ehrhoff's.

Let me clarify. I think Edler is great. He is the 2nd best PP dman on the team. He passes pretty well. He has a good shot. 

But getting a shot through traffic? No that's not Edler. Any strategy that depends on Edler getting the shot through, let alone feather it through will not work. 

You must admit that Edler doesn't have the quickness in his lateral movement neccessary to change the shot angle to avoid the forward covering the point. The PK forwards are usually agile and fast and can adjust their position quickly. That's why Hughes is so great. He can walk the line because he is more agile than anyone. Although edler can do a lot of things well, getting shots through is not something that he can do well. That's not undercutting him. That's one weakness in his game. Fact.

Sorry for ruining your day. I also respect and appreciate Edler for what he does for the tram

• Wat 1

14 hours ago, khay said:

Eriksson was barely on PP I think. Leivo has shown something. Sutter too, when healthy. Graovac in that short time has shown that he understands his role.

But I agree. JV deserves a longer look. Although, I think JV was tried on PP few times in the past but he just didn't show much. If JV understands how 2nd PP works, he can probably do a much better job. It's all about getting shots in, generate rebounds and/or loose pucks near the net using the extra body. Go to the net, create havoc so your teammate can pick up the loose puck and score. If he does that, I think he will be successful. If he wants to be Boeser of 2nd PP, hang around in the slot area waiting for one timer... well it's probably not gonna come because 2nd PP is barely going to be able to set up. Forecheck, go to the net, use your big body to tie up a defender and engage in a puck battle.

Good points, i think i'm reading into Greens motives too much. I was worried he was trying to get Virtanen sent down or traded. This month the Canucks can get some practise time in, maybe they can work on these things.

5 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Good points, i think i'm reading into Greens motives too much. I was worried he was trying to get Virtanen sent down or traded. This month the Canucks can get some practise time in, maybe they can work on these things.

You don't need to be worried about Jake being sent down, since that will not happen, as he obviously would not clear waivers and there is no way JB would throw away a valuable asset for no return and no reason.

And the chance of him being traded is only slightly higher than zero, so you don't need to worry about that either.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Ah yes, Swedish for "king of the Knucklepuck".

At least his shot got through, Edler the king of “off the defender’s shin pads leading to either a breakaway or a hooking penalty by Edler” is hardly any better. :P 

Either way 2nd unit doesn’t matter. Generally they only get 30 seconds starting in the D zone. Just makin’ Fantenberg on the Powerplay jokes. Lol.

11 hours ago, khay said:

:picard:

Edler is the second best option on PP. But it is true that Edler lacks the ability to get shots through. I'm being playful with the word feathering a puck. Because that's not Edler. 

Stop calling people out for saying the truth. Stop calling people out for being playful just because you don't get it. It's rude and ignorant. :picard:

Your opinion of Edler is ignorant in the truest sense of the word.

ig·no·rant
/ˈiɡnərənt/
adjective

1. lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Your opinion of Edler is ignorant in the truest sense of the word.

ig·no·rant
/ˈiɡnərənt/
adjective

1. lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

Nope. My opinion of Edler:

1. Top 3 dman on any nhl team. 

2. 2nd best pp option on our team.

3. Not good at getting shots through.

Which part is ignorant. 

Be logical dude.

6 hours ago, khay said:

Nope. My opinion of Edler:

1. Top 3 dman on any nhl team. 

2. 2nd best pp option on our team.

3. Not good at getting shots through.

Which part is ignorant. 

Be logical dude.

To be fair, while yes he can occasionally hit shin pads etc and yes, it's become a bit of a meme, you don't get 176 career PP points as a D by "not being good at getting shots through".

You also need to give defenders/PK'ers some credit here. Consistent ability to get around those guys with skating and stick handling is an 'elite of the elite' skill. Thank Gordie the hockey gods have blessed us with one Quinton Hughes who's able to do just that. But let's not confuse that with being a common ability. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, while yes he can occasionally hit shin pads etc and yes, it's become a bit of a meme, you don't get 176 career PP points as a D by "not being good at getting shots through".

You also need to give defenders/PK'ers some credit here. Consistent ability to get around those guys with skating and stick handling is an 'elite of the elite' skill. Thank Gordie the hockey gods have blessed us with one Quinton Hughes who's able to do just that. But let's not confuse that with being a common ability. 

Thanks. Yes, it's my bad. I shouldn't have poked fun of Edler and shin pad. I thought the days when people were upset with Edler and shin pad were only a distant memory and something that we can all laugh about now that we have Quinn. Didn't know some people would still take exception to this and misunderstand my intention. Moreover, I should have started this in Edler talk not in Virtanen talk.

I support Edler and gave him loads of credit even when majority of CDC wanted to get rid of him few years back. I was 100% for re-signing him and thought the team will suffer greatly if we lose him. In fact, I was very naive in thinking that he deserved and will leave us to get 7+ mil on the open market.

I do acknowledge that he has been our best option on PP and was used primarily on #1 PP to set up one timers for EP and Boeser the last few seasons until Quinn arrived. During the Sedin era, he was also used quite a lot, especially after departure of Salo. He was effective in relaying the puck from Henrik, Daniel, or to whoever it was playing on the other end (Vrbata and others). He has 42 goals and 166 points on the PP (http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&report=skaterpowerplay&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20082009&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&position=D&playerPlayedFor=team.23&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPoints,ppGoals,ppAssists). This is nothing to laugh at, it is quite an achievement. This stat shows that he is effective on the PP and that he is a smart player that knew how to play with the two of the most intelligent players in the world in Daniel and Henrik. 

He has a hard shoot. He can relay passes. He can sneak in the back door and get the puck on net.  But he can't feather it from the point. If Edler can do that, he will be a top1-2 dman and our PP efficiency should be even higher. Feathering a shot through is an extremely difficult thing to do. Like, saying that he can't do it well is not undercutting him by any means. Think about it. Which forward plays a PK? Fast. Agile. The guys who know a thing or two about positioning play the PK. In the NHL, most defenders hit the shin pad. Edler is one of them. This is what I meant not that he is a bad player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Man thought I came into the Jake Virtanen thread. Edler has 2 threads now?

I have been liking how Jake has been playing and not sure where the thought process is in demoting him when he has been doing what is asked of him. I'd love to see JV18 with EP40 and JM9.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1