The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

In the end of the day, I can't see Green sitting an 18g and 18a player.  Also I would rather have an angry Shotgun for the play-offs.  B)

yes and no.

An angry Petey scores goals,

An angry Quinn holds onto the puck until its in the back of the net

An angry Jake might just take 17 minutes in penalties

But a mean Jake, that is what I'd like to see, but I do not actually think that is in his make up

Look at Reaves and Carrier in Vegas, they are methodical, but not angry, that is what I'd like to see Jake learn to be

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, lmm said:

yes and no.

An angry Petey scores goals,

An angry Quinn holds onto the puck until its in the back of the net

An angry Jake might just take 17 minutes in penalties

But a mean Jake, that is what I'd like to see, but I do not actually think that is in his make up

Look at Reaves and Carrier in Vegas, they are methodical, but not angry, that is what I'd like to see Jake learn to be

Wouldn't mind seeing him angry every now and again if I'm being honest.

I didn't hear any of this over the weekend so this was a nice read on a Monday.  I hope JV can turn it around but at this point it's looking like a trade might benefit both sides.  Dude has to ditch his 'crew'.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Wah wah wah Jake this Jake that I knew it I knew it. Bunch of pathetic fans. 

Jake had a great season, everyone is excited to see him in playoffs. 

End thread. 

he might be a healthy scratch

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, lmm said:

you have annecdotal evidance, of course

Do you have evidence on how punching a teammate makes all the difference?

If you're going to just go with "do you have evidence" you need to provide a clear example yourself about how it made a teammate better in the end. ;)

If you need an example from me. Byfuglien and Kane. Was just words more or less but was a pretty bad situation for the entire organization.

Now are you going to hide behind this "do you have evidence?" wall or are you going actually debate? Come "punch me" with actual evidence your method works. ;)

Edited by The Lock

Guys on the radio who saw the scrimmage say conditioning/fitness doesn't appear to be an issue.  That during the punishment skate, Jake led the way.  

I really want him to do good things this year.  His wheels, alone, make him super exciting to watch when he's 100% invested.  

They also reiterated what I've said in the past, which is basically it's up to him.  That it's mostly about whether or not he's all in and, if he is, he'll be a force.  If he's distracted he'll get left behind.

They also talked about him possibly being too comfortable on the home team roster and that Zack pushing for a spot is a factor.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I listened to a recent episode of a canucks podcast. I won't name it because its related some to those terrible TSN1040 folks lol. BUT.. according to them when they were at a scrimmage the other day Jake made a mistake and got beat.. he then got frustrated and ran at a teammate (hitting). Apparently captain Bo wasn't impressed and yelled at him so loud and told him just because you f'd up doesn't mean you get to f'ing run around. Which was then followed by complete silence by everyone on the ice lol.

Now I feel need to name the podcast so you can hear it for yourself. god damn jeff patterson. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/vancast-jpat-drancer-show-about-vancouver-canucks/id1481428435  (starts at 16:30) They start talking about the scrimmages at the 8 minute mark.

I fell asleep listening to it last night. Forget exactly where it is in there. (found it 16:30)

New episode out. They cover more on Jake. Apparently it was chatfield that Jake ran. Bo stepping up for the black aces. 

Doesn't matter if it is over the top criticism or head stuck in sand syndrome, the only opinion that actually matters is Benning's. Virtanen was his first pick as GM and at #6 overall the franchise has invested significantly into him. That does buy you some cache in this league historically speaking, and he is a local kid to boot. There is no doubt in mind that just from an optics perspective moving on from Virtanen reflects poorly on Benning, especially as Juolevi hasn't quite lived up to expectation either.

But while its difficult to move on from Virtanen I don't think he would hesitate to do so if he believed that Virtanen was done growing both in terms of his play on the ice and maturity off of it. With that said I would advise Jake that there are limits to everyone's patience. 

I think this summer and the contract that Virtanen gets will be a big indicator of where he stands in organization's eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

OK Jake's Mom... slow your roll.

Jake had a mediocre and uneven season, and has earned every bit of suspicion and concern that folks have of him and his future.  The guy is like Cody Hodgson in taking a whole lot of energy from the coaches just to do his job... and he still can't do it regularly.

He knows the extra attention he got from his coaches and the fans, and he still doesn't come into camp one of the sharpest guys.  Team mates made it into town from other continents and were doing informal skates... but Jake couldn't make it in to join them even though he was local.  We got video of the guys running themselves through practices on their own getting their legs... no Jake, oh wait we did get pictures of him at a bar instead.  If you have had trouble getting into shape and getting going every single year of your pro career, you had better be putting in at least as much effort as the rest of your team.  

I take a guy like Stecher who has less gifts but will chew through a wall to play (especially for the Canucks) over a guy with all the tools and physical gifts who after five years in the league hasn't managed to get the idea of how to consistently be an every day pro.

He is seriously in danger of losing an opening night roster spot to MacEwan and Eriksson.  These aren't hall of famers.  I don't even take Motte out of the lineup to insert Jake, and Motte is the Biega version of a forward who is barely an NHLer.

You need to grow your smartnesses. I bet your mom would trade you for Jake in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 2