The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I would be interested to see his ice time and do a point per minute comparison.

You would think he would have been right up there. He also had 5 shots, which was second on the team only to McDavid.

I feel like he had quite a bit of ice time - definitely a lot more than what he's had in exhibition games so far. It may have been because it was a blowout and they play tomorrow so all 4 lines played evenly once things got out of hand, but he was also playing really well so maybe he was being rewarded. Probably a little bit of both.

Naslund might have missed that 4 times out of 5.

Awesome hands...that behind the back pass would have been buried by anyone on the top 3 lines...

Well, yeah, Nazzy's a lefty, i'm pretty sure he'd miss that 5/5 times ;)

But please, Naslund had the best wrister in the entire NHL at his prime. Will Virtanen? I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but probably not.

Dangerous all night, got hit hard from behind into the boards got up and almost scored a goal 20 seconds later and through a hit before heading to the bench. Small sample size, and more minuets than he will usually get (with the exception of tomorrow against Germany). Not a lot more you can ask for from a guy who just turned 18 in August and is only 2 months older than Jack the saviour Eichel.

It's funny, if Jake was eligable for this years draft I doubt he would make the team, just because he would be 2 months younger, and therefore not as deserving as others. Glady for us, we got him in the draft and he looks to be turning some heads at a prestigious tourny, against some weak competition, but still good to see him deliver on all facets of his game, speed, power & flow.

Anyone got a video of Jake's goal?

This person https://www.youtube.com/user/bigwhite06 should have it up soon. He uploaded the last Virtanen goal so I'd assume he'd do the same again. If not, my shift-compilation has finished uploading and I'm just watching to make sure it's edited correctly. My video's quality is absolute garbage though (due to my "method" of watching the game), so you'll have to excuse that.

• Upvote 1

What stands out to me the most watching him play is how good of a hitter he is. It's quite the skill he has. Not everyone can hit well. He levels guys. His hitting ability is off the charts

You watch some big guys like kassian that don't have that strength in there hits and they just look awkward

He just has that ability to send players to the ice

Virtanen is a keeper. He has all the tools to succeed at the next level and most likely will.

As far as I'm considered, when it comes to this year's Canadian U-20 team, only McDavid and maybe Reinhart will be better than Virtanen. When he was drafted, many scouts thought he had the highest upside of any player in the 2014 draft (even Button, one of Virtanen's bigger detractors, said this). I think those scouts may be right.

• Upvote 2

virtanen in my mind will be better than perry hes the faster skater in the chl with sick hands and crushes people i was so stoked when we picked him at draft. when everyone wanted ehlers and that fat bum ritchie hes miles better team canada needs to stop play politics and put him with some effensive players ritchie and lazar arent doung squat compared to jake