The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

2 hours ago, stawns said:

not last year. 

What Have You Done For Me Lately?

janet jackson GIF

Their goals per game is similar this year, boeser having the slight edge at 0.28 per game this year and jake at 0.26, but boeser's points per game is significantly better at 0.79, compare top jake's 0.52. You could point to brock having better linemates but i'd argue that's offset but the higher quality of competition brock plays agianst. I think most people would agree that brock brings far more playmaking ability than jake. 

i think even lately brock brings a lot more to the table than jake does. and as other have pointed out, brock had been playing with a lingering issue for a while it seemed. Not to mention he's been dealing with his father's health. There's much more room for forgiveness in boeser's under performance than there is jake's. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

Their goals per game is similar this year, boeser having the slight edge at 0.28 per game this year and jake at 0.26, but boeser's points per game is significantly better at 0.79, compare top jake's 0.52. You could point to brock having better linemates but i'd argue that's offset but the higher quality of competition brock plays agianst. I think most people would agree that brock brings far more playmaking ability than jake. 

i think even lately brock brings a lot more to the table than jake does. and as other have pointed out, brock had been playing with a lingering issue for a while it seemed. Not to mention he's been dealing with his father's health. There's much more room for forgiveness in boeser's under performance than there is jake's. 

So boeser gets to use excuses?  Again, I have no issues with him for what he is.  However the fact is that he is trending in the wrong direction after his rookie year, whereas Jake is steadily improving.

If Boes gets a pass on excuses, so should Jake for putting up steady progression playing 3rd and 4th line mins and very little pp time.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So boeser gets to use excuses?  Again, I have no issues with him for what he is.  However the fact is that he is trending in the wrong direction after his rookie year, whereas Jake is steadily improving.

If Boes gets a pass on excuses, so should Jake for putting up steady progression playing 3rd and 4th line mins and very little pp time.

But Jake drinks beer sometimes and has a phone. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

you didnt really address anything i said i kinda just reiterated your thesis so idk what to say man. refer to what i said in the post you quoted for my response to this.

• Wat 1
On 7/23/2020 at 5:55 PM, lmm said:

jizzle, I have one of those too.

Kinda makes you feel special dont it

buddy gives me wonkie face so often, I am beginning to think they is trying to flirt with me.

A great way to reduce 'stalking' would be to minimize the amount of times you specifically drop someone's names in posts that they having nothing to do with. Behavior like that will tend to garner a response after 2 or 3 ignored comments (you know, kinda like I did with you). Also, pro tip, avoid checking on people's profiles. I noticed you checked mine on July 10th, which was then nulled when you checked it again just a few days ago, despite us having no interactions in several weeks. Better be careful, might get misconstrued as the exact behavior you're accusing others of. Wouldn't that just be super weird?

• Haha 1
On 7/25/2020 at 11:16 AM, stawns said:

When Boeser isn't scoring he's completely invisible.

I cant stand all the Jake hate. But hating on Brock doesnt validate anything.

Also in my opinion Jake isn't on Brocks level. Draft position aside.

I would compare brock with Pearson, Horvat or toffoli and Jake with Leivo Gaudette or Macewen.

Both are deserving of spots on this roster though.

5 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I cant stand all the Jake hate. But hating on Brock doesnt validate anything.

Also in my opinion Jake isn't on Brocks level. Draft position aside.

I would compare brock with Pearson, Horvat or toffoli and Jake with Leivo Gaudette or Macewen.

Both are deserving of spots on this roster though.

I don't hate Boeser in any way, I think he's a good offensive player.  I absolutely think he gets a free pass though and I'm not sure why.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't hate Boeser in any way, I think he's a good offensive player.  I absolutely think he gets a free pass though and I'm not sure why.

I understand where you're coming from, and I think it still comes down to expectations. Boeser is expected to score goals and sometimes those are hard to come by wether due to bad luck, or injuries. I agree that on paper he has been trending the wrong way, but I personally believe that his back injury hurt him more then we know. I had a very similar injury playing sports about 3 years ago, and my back has never been the same. I work in physical/sports rehab and had all the recourses I needed and I still feel the effects of that injury daily. That's not even mentioning his wrist. 

Jake on the other hand is expected to play fast and hard. Something that he should be able to do night in and night out with proper effort (everyone has down nights though). I disagree with the notion he is a bad 2way player, I think he is actually generally solid in that regard. I also believe his trajectory has been going up, instead of down. This last year Jake finally looked like he was starting to understand the game.

I'm a huge Jake fan, likely one of the bigger Jake fanboys around these parts. But it's important to knowledge when he's struggling due to a perceived lack of effort. That seems to be Greens biggest pet peeve, and Jake is frequently being calling out on it. That is something that's controllable, while sometimes scoring droughts simply aren't as controllable.

The problem with comparing the 2, is they are not comparables. They are completely different players, and should be judged accordingly. I don't feel draft position should be part of the discussion, but unfortunately that also plays a part when people criticise Virt.

Edited by shayster007
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Misunderstood the post

Edited by N7Nucks
3 hours ago, stawns said:

I absolutely think he gets a free pass though and I'm not sure why.

Have you not been reading why?

Injuries. 

Mental difficulties.

The best Brock is to come. You may see him these playoffs.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Have you not been reading why?

Injuries. 

Mental difficulties.

The best Brock is to come. You may see him these playoffs.

That's my point.  People excuse Boeser's declining numbers, but chastise Virtanen's steady improvement.  

I sure hope there's better to come.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I understand where you're coming from, and I think it still comes down to expectations. Boeser is expected to score goals and sometimes those are hard to come by wether due to bad luck, or injuries. I agree that on paper he has been trending the wrong way, but I personally believe that his back injury hurt him more then we know. I had a very similar injury playing sports about 3 years ago, and my back has never been the same. I work in physical/sports rehab and had all the recourses I needed and I still feel the effects of that injury daily. That's not even mentioning his wrist. 

Jake on the other hand is expected to play fast and hard. Something that he should be able to do night in and night out with proper effort (everyone has down nights though). I disagree with the notion he is a bad 2way player, I think he is actually generally solid in that regard. I also believe his trajectory has been going up, instead of down. This last year Jake finally looked like he was starting to understand the game.

I'm a huge Jake fan, likely one of the bigger Jake fanboys around these parts. But it's important to knowledge when he's struggling due to a perceived lack of effort. That seems to be Greens biggest pet peeve, and Jake is frequently being calling out on it. That is something that's controllable, while sometimes scoring droughts simply aren't as controllable.

The problem with comparing the 2, is they are not comparables. They are completely different players, and should be judged accordingly. I don't feel draft position should be part of the discussion, but unfortunately that also plays a part when people criticise Virt.

It's just Green being Green.  It's right out of his Virtanen handbook

3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I don't think they should be compared to each other as players either.

I'm not sure how Jake got labelled as a poor two way player, but he's not.  He's a good forechecker, he's one of the best takeaway players on the team (one of the few with more takeaways than giveaways), he's 4th on the team with hits (102) behind Miller, Motte and Edler, has 18 goals and 18 assists and he is 20th in avg icetime/60mins.  I'd argue he's one of the higher value players on the team in the context of making the most out of what he's given.  

edit: sorry, 17th in avg toi/60 mins

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think they should be compared to each other as players either.

I'm not sure how Jake got labelled as a poor two way player, but he's not.  He's a good forechecker, he's one of the best takeaway players on the team (one of the few with more takeaways than giveaways), he's 4th on the team with hits (102) behind Miller, Motte and Edler, has 18 goals and 18 assists and he is 20th in avg icetime/60mins.  I'd argue he's one of the higher value players on the team in the context of making the most out of what he's given.  

I completely agree. I'm a big fan of how Green has handled Jake. I can't tell off your previous quote if you are or not.

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I completely agree. I'm a big fan of how Green has handled Jake. I can't tell off your previous quote if you are or not.

I am and I'm not.  I think he knows how to use the stick, but he's got to start rewarding him or he's going to lose him, imo.

• Hydration 1
Just now, stawns said:

I am and I'm not.  I think he knows how to use the stick, but he's got to start rewarding him or he's going to lose him, imo.

You know what, I agree again. There was a couple times this year I was really hoping he would give the nod to Virt a couple more times a game. He had some really solid runs this season.

If this was Boeser's worst year, it was still far better than Jake's best. They aren't the same tier of player. Brock was apart of one of the best lines in hockey the first half of the year, Jake isn't a consistent top 6 forward. 

Would anyone feel confident with Jake getting a multi year deal at 4M+? Maybe he'd be the piece used to help free up cap room. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2