Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If this was Boeser's worst year, it was still far better than Jake's best. They aren't the same tier of player. Brock was apart of one of the best lines in hockey the first half of the year, Jake isn't a consistent top 6 forward. 

 

Would anyone feel confident with Jake getting a multi year deal at 4M+? Maybe he'd be the piece used to help free up cap room. 

 

 

If Podkolzin and/or Hoglander are able to come over before next years playoffs. We can probably afford to move Jake for a right handed defender.  I would love to move him to CGY for a kid like Rasmus Andersson, but with Hamonic possibly leaving that may not be the ideal fit. Perhaps a team out east would be the better fit so he doesn't torch us as often lol. Even a central team would be better than a pacific rival. Send him over to ARZ and they can take him to the central the season after next. :lol:

 

Edited by Rush17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if part of Jake's problem is he takes this situation for granted. There has been so much narrative surrounding him being like Neely and if the Canucks ever traded him.. I wonder if that thought of us being scared to move him makes him feel safe. Because honestly he looks like he feels way to safe. Perhaps an attitude adjustment ie sit him for a few games or the series if we are winning it well enough. That might spark something in him. He seems to do just enough to meet expectations but he seems to lack the internal drive to be the best version of himself. I am a huge believer in Jake but his maturation process seems to be taking longer than others. We have endured this much though.. will he get it by next season? I don't think the org will wait to much longer if he doesn't shape up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

If Podkolzin and/or Hoglander are able to come over before next years playoffs. We can probably afford to move Jake for a right handed defender.  I would love to move him to CGY for a kid like Rasmus Andersson, but with Hamonic possibly leaving that may not be the ideal fit. Perhaps a team out east would be the better fit so he doesn't torch us as often lol. Even a central team would be better than a pacific rival. Send him over to ARZ and they can take him to the central the season after next. :lol:

 

 

I wonder what his value would be coming off a big year like he just had. Or if he can have another one. Maybe you could attach Sutter to him & still get something back depending on the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I wonder if part of Jake's problem is he takes this situation for granted. There has been so much narrative surrounding him being like Neely and if the Canucks ever traded him.. I wonder if that thought of us being scared to move him makes him feel safe. Because honestly he looks like he feels way to safe. Perhaps an attitude adjustment ie sit him for a few games or the series if we are winning it well enough. That might spark something in him. He seems to do just enough to meet expectations but he seems to lack the internal drive to be the best version of himself. I am a huge believer in Jake but his maturation process seems to be taking longer than others. We have endured this much though.. will he get it by next season? I don't think the org will wait to much longer if he doesn't shape up.

The problem is the fans and media's.  James done nothing but progress every year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

The problem is the fans and media's.  James done nothing but progress every year

I agree he continues to progress. My concern is will they accept his lack of dedication and aloof personality in the dressing room long term? He is going to eventually become a role model for the next generation of kids. I'd hate for Lind to pick up his bad habits. I guess we are probably safe from that though as Jim has focused on drafting high character and competitive kids. Jake still comes to camp like its a retreat. We weeded out Hutton, Etem, and Goldobin because of their lack of edge or determination. Jake is the last of that bunch. 

 

I like Jake and remain a supporter but I am coming around to the idea of moving him if we can find the right package. I would package him with Stecher's rights if a team is willing to pay his 3M arb rights. Which I honestly think is pretty fair for Stech but we just can't afford it due to some inflated bottom 6 contracts. Eriksson was supposed to be a top 6 guy that own guy vs Calgary instantly started his quick decline lol. Willie D not playing him with the twins regularly didn't help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I agree he continues to progress. My concern is will they accept his lack of dedication and aloof personality in the dressing room long term? He is going to eventually become a role model for the next generation of kids. I'd hate for Lind to pick up his bad habits. I guess we are probably safe from that though as Jim has focused on drafting high character and competitive kids. Jake still comes to camp like its a retreat. We weeded out Hutton, Etem, and Goldobin because of their lack of edge or determination. Jake is the last of that bunch. 

 

I like Jake and remain a supporter but I am coming around to the idea of moving him if we can find the right package. I would package him with Stecher's rights if a team is willing to pay his 3M arb rights. Which I honestly think is pretty fair for Stech but we just can't afford it due to some inflated bottom 6 contracts. Eriksson was supposed to be a top 6 guy that own guy vs Calgary instantly started his quick decline lol. Willie D not playing him with the twins regularly didn't help.

And you know all of this how?

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, stawns said:

I am and I'm not.  I think he knows how to use the stick, but he's got to start rewarding him or he's going to lose him, imo.

 

10 hours ago, shayster007 said:

You know what, I agree again. There was a couple times this year I was really hoping he would give the nod to Virt a couple more times a game. He had some really solid runs this season.

He did get a pretty juicy, organic, heirloom carrot of top 6 time with Pettersson when playing well this season (as well as pp time). If Jake wants more 'carrot', he needs to stop largely only responding to 'stick' and take some added initiative and be more consistent and committed. Committed and hard working Jake gets fresh picked, organic heirloom carrots all day long. Immature, inconsistent Jake gets the stick.

 

As for this 'Boeser gets a pass' nonsense. Struggling because of injuries and family health issues is always going to get more of a 'pass' from fans, team mates and coaches than struggling because of a lack of commitment. Boeser may have struggled at points but his commitment and 'try' weren't ever in question. I'm not sure how that's remotely a mystery.

 

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Send him over to ARZ and they can take him to the central the season after next. :lol:

 

Jake package for Soderstrom you say? Yes please!

 

Unfortunately, with Chayka now gone, that's unlikely to happen :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

 

He did get a pretty juicy, organic, heirloom carrot of top 6 time with Pettersson when playing well this season (as well as pp time). If Jake wants more 'carrot', he needs to stop largely only responding to 'stick' and take some added initiative and be more consistent and committed. Committed and hard working Jake gets fresh picked, organic heirloom carrots all day long. Immature, inconsistent Jake gets the stick.

 

As for this 'Boeser gets a pass' nonsense. Struggling because of injuries and family health issues is always going to get more of a 'pass' from fans, team mates and coaches than struggling because of a lack of commitment. Boeser may have struggled at points but his commitment and 'try' weren't ever in question. I'm not sure how that's remotely a mystery.

 

Jake package for Soderstrom you say? Yes please!

 

Unfortunately, with Chayka now gone, that's unlikely to happen :lol:

He gets 13 mins of overtime per game, in the bottom 6, with very little pp time.  He puts up 18g and 18a in those mins.  4th in takeaways (one of the few with more ta's than GA's), 4th in hits.  I'm not sure where the inconsistency tag comes from?  Seems to me that's a player who makes the most of his very limited toi.  Playing with Petey made Peteys line better, imo.

 

Border absolutely gets a free pass, he can do no wrong

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Nice, you're a homophobe, very classy bud. 

 

My condolences to those on your teams that went through any sort of hazing. 

I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with it, bud. You're projecting.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

He gets 13 mins of overtime per game, in the bottom 6, with very little pp time.  He puts up 18g and 18a in those mins.  4th in takeaways (one of the few with more ta's than GA's), 4th in hits.  I'm not sure where the inconsistency tag comes from?  Seems to me that's a player who makes the most of his very limited toi.  Playing with Petey made Peteys line better, imo.

 

Border absolutely gets a free pass, he can do no wrong

While putting up numbers is important, it's not all there is under the 'consistent, committed pro' heading. You know this.

 

He also didn't put those numbers up consistently through the season. Hot and cold.

 

Your projecting on Boeser.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

While putting up numbers is important, it's not all there is under the 'consistent, committed pro' heading. You know this.

 

He also didn't put those numbers up consistently through the season. Hot and cold.

 

Your projecting on Boeser.

How do you measure a player's effectiveness?  With 13 mins a game, almost 50% defensive zone starts, of course he's going to go through dry spells.  Put him in Boesers spit and he's a 55-60 point guy, at least

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

How do you measure a player's effectiveness?  With 13 mins a game, almost 50% defensive zone starts, of course he's going to go through dry spells.  Put him in Boesers spit and he's a 55-60 point guy, at least

I agree so many fans look at stats they don't take into consideration zone starts and when a guy only plays 13 mins per game I would say 14-18 goals is  very good.... I really like Jake but  he is inconsistent and we all know he should be a top 6 forward by now? I just don't know if jake will hit his potential here? 

Look at Zack MacEwen is improves very season and now passing Jake, this player is so motivated with great work ethic..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the start of the year everyone was saying that if Jake could get 20g 18a he would have had a good season of improvement.  He basically does it and people are still bitching about him.  He has improved each year and this year particularly, his passing was better and his play along the boards was improved as well.  The kid will play and I think we will all will love what we see from him. B):towel:

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Moose Nuckle said:

You seem to be fixated on responding to and insulting me at every opportunity. Please feel free to leave me alone. 

It's mainly because you've been an annoying lil thing the past week or so around here, insulting many people yourself, and i thought you should get a bit of your own medicine. hope you like the taste, big guy.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'll reserve judgment on Jake's game until after the playoffs.  These games will be a significant measure of what to expect from him in the future.  Really hoping he shows he can play against the best players in the world, in the hardest played games.  C'mon Jake.  Nose to the grindstone.  Show us what you can do!

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...